Adding a second battery to Sondors XS

Mo13

Hi folks,

Recently got my XS, and the first thing I want is more juice!¬†ūüėā

Has anyone attempted to add a second battery to the stock XS controller? Any tips and pointers towards battery packs, connectors or parallel dual battery connectors would be super appreciated!

I found the Sondors connector on this site: https://electrobikeworld.com/products/aviator-4-prong-connector-for-sondors. Thinking of buying a rear rack 48V battery from Aliexpress and hooking it up to this connector. What could possible go wrong, right?

Edited by Mo13

Don’t try it unless you want to entertain your friends by speeding past them as a Blazing Ball Of Flames! 
1st, if your connecting 2 battery packs that are EXACTLY the same, like two Sondors 48V of EXACTLY the same Ah & in Series,  18650 batteries, ie, GA, PF, B or R, you’ll be doubling the voltage to 96 Volts and that’s beyond the Controllers Design Capabilities. It’s 36-48V. 
2nd if they are not exactly the same in every respect,(older-newer different capacities or 18650 versions), the high density & more powerful cells will try and balance the lower capacity cells to their value and a fire or explosion will ensue.
Li Ion batteries are more akin to unreliable gunpowder, if not treated within their limitations. Before more conjecture, please go to https://www.electricbike.com/category/technical/
Read several technical articles about Li Ion Batteries, OR, take a video of your experiment. You’ll be the test pilot on that one.  
image.jpeg.a20d4e901d05305894dd78af8887266f.jpeg

REDDY

7 hours ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

you’ll be doubling the voltage to 96 Volts and that’s beyond the Controllers Design Capabilities.

That's only if you put the batteries in series.  If you connect the batteries in parallel, you'll double the available current. 

To overcome my range anxiety, I bought a spare battery and just carry it with me on longer rides.  It doesn't take long to swap them out if needed.

That’s what I said and only true for packs that are exactly the same, not only individual cells, including count but even age & health of those individual packs’ cells, like bill’s. That’s also why pack balancing is so important and why advanced chargers are also important for battery pack longevity and health. Mixing one manufactures pack (Sondors) with another rack battery pack (Aliexpress of unknown cells & dissimilar BMS) and connecting them in parallel with a Y connector is asking for a disaster. 
Yes, bill’s plan with like packs and simply switching is the answer to increase range but that not dissimilar packs using the connector, as the original poster suggests. I used two dissimilar packs (52V, Rack & Triangle) on my Electric Black Lightning in 2015 but never connected them with a Y adapter. I switched pack leads, like bill’s plans. Although I figured I had near a 100 mile range, (ridden both my analog Cannondale & Litespeed Vortex that far in multiple, Hotter N Hell tours) I never tried on my Sondors.  
image.thumb.jpeg.ca3940f5ade2525c5a825f00f18aeeb0.jpeg

We have had a similar debacle here on the forum, in the past. 

image.jpeg.a20d4e901d05305894dd78af8887266f.jpeg
            REDDY

2 hours ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

why advanced chargers are also important for battery pack longevity and health.

I just got a Satiator (24V-52V) in my grubby little hands this week.  I'm setting up multiple profiles to extend battery life.  For day-to-day local riding (no more than a few miles), I'll be charging to ~60%.  After some testing, I think my town runs will work at 80-85%, but I'll have the spare battery with me just in case. 

13 hours ago, TheBum said:

BTW, this is more than merely a Y-adapter. It's active in that it will only allow power from the higher voltage battery through if the batteries are not of equivalent charge (they still need to be the same spec voltage).

Probably not for my Electric Stealth (68.2V 45Ah, 35Amp controller) or Black Lightning (52V 17Ah, 35Amp controller) but I could use it on my 52V 14Ah, 25Amp controller White. But Range is not a problem on any of my bikes nor would I limit the amperage of my 35Amp controllers down to 30. I wouldn’t have a problem, switching batteries by plug, to save 60 bucks, plus tax and shipping. It would also have to be mounted externally. I removed my rack battery on my Black because of exposure to theft (although I use alarms and locks on all), but I lost interest for my plan to solo bike-camp from Denton to Austin and risk my life on even the rural roads, much less, Interstate I-35 service roads on such a trip. The rural roads I drove one trip, pulling my Mobile miPad (homemade pop-top camping trailer) to Austin, which adds considerable mileage to the trip including my ride back, would be totaling close to 600mi.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d56f25fcb96dc51fdfb3998e05f1f6f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.10f8a88a153ee6e957abca7e4ef00f5b.jpeg

Two Club members in the Corinth Cycling Club, did it on analog bikes a few years ago, unsupported, which initially spurred my interest and enthusiasm, but then reality took a more conservative command of my rational and I remembered how much I dislike that I-35 trip in a car.  Horrible Traffic on most of I-35 and adjacent roads. I’ve taken a series of 4 different train lines, from here to reach Austin and that was restful and fun and all I can take a bike but Amtrak is iffy if there is room. 
https://youtu.be/m5srSyDfvT0
I’m sure some users may find the device helpful, as testimony states and I’ll be interested when someone chimes in here with ride reports, were it was and how far they rode including pictures with 3 part harmony. I’ll have to admit that my own sweet spot on distance without electricity was around 50mi, on my Analog bikes and Centuries were just milestones. Even 50 mi, has not yet made an appearance on my KT-LCD3s’ trip odometers. I’m no longer a Lance Legstrong wannabe, but use my Sondors as primary transportation and my GLM (Green LakeBilly Mercedes) for tot’n ebikes and long road trips. 
But then in Dog Years … I’m Already Dead. 

REDDY

F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg