We've updated some things - please give us feedback when something isn't working as it should. e-Mail: user-support@sondorsforum.com Read more... ×
Andi

Tires, Tubes and more

Tires, Tubes, etc...

Mr. Tuffy tire protectors

Studded Tires

Fat Tire Rim Strips

MAXXUS Mammoth Fat Tire

VEE Rubber Tube 26"x4.00 (will also fit to 4.9)

• Like 2

On 2/19/2016 at 9:57 AM, Andi said:

The Mr. Tuffy 4XL is what would be best for stock Sondors 4.9 XXXL tires, but you could use their 3XL as well with a little less coverage side to side. The 4XL are 4 wide before bending. Installation is pretty easy, just takes a little patience as the liner tends to want to move around a bit. I found that inflating the tube just a little to hold it in place, then adjusting it inside the tire from there helped. I've had someone else tell me they used some Gorilla tape to fasten it loosely inside the tire before adding the tube. (I can't get anything to stick inside my tires.) The 4XL's weigh about 328g each for a total of 656g of added weight (and 100% added piece of mind).

If you live somewhere like whre I live, these are a must have as goathead stickers are -everywhere- and they will put holes in your tires the size of nails. I've had them go through my sidewalls, which is why I went with the 4XL Mr Tuffy for my 3.5" tires. I figure the extra wrap around coverage is a safe bet.

I don't know how you'd use these if you were going tubeless, glue them in perhaps?

Edited by alienmeatsack

6 minutes ago, alienmeatsack said:

Nice @robert - Look forward to seeing pics and your thoughts!

FYI, I would suggest a set of smaller tubes. The stock tubes are 4.9" and will pinch up inside of those 4" tires most likely. Something like a Surly 3-4" tube or similar should work well for you. I went with their 3.0-4.8" in the Presta valve. Lighter then the stock tubes and they fit nicely in the tires (26x3.5"). Just a thought.

• Like 1

Excellent - Being that  I modify virtually every gadget I buy, tires are next on my hit list. Just trying to figure best cost\performance vs type. I like the street tire but knobbies are great for the dirt. At least they're easy to change!!!

In terms of pumps you can carry along, there appear to be two standouts:

The Lezyne High Volume at about $43

Link: http://a.co/62wJczK

and the new Lezyne HV XL specifically beefed up for fat bikes.

Link: http://a.co/4RwxxdS

The HV pump won this fat tire pump shootout:  https://fat-bike.com/2015/05/trail-pump-shootout/

A follow-on article at the same site previewing the HV XL scores its capacity as improved: 100 strokes to 9 psi on a 4.0 tire.

oh *wow*.  That takes me back.  I wonder if they will stick when wet?  I used the Avocet Fasgrip slicks back in the day and they were miraculous in the wet and dry.  You'd think they would slide like auto slicks do in water but no.

Here's a pic of Jobst Brandt, who helped develop them, riding the things.  This pic was all over bike magazines and Avocet ads in the day.  I *loved* those tires for their grip.

jobst+brandt+avocet+tires.jpg

Oh and I also hated them with a passion.  Here's the thing about bike slicks:  They do their magic via greatly expanded contact patch on the ground that like triples or quadruples the amount of rubber you have sticking you to the ground.  Perfect contact with the ground means perfect contact with the stuff sitting on the ground.  Like glass.  That was their Achilles heel.  They were freaking magnets for the stuff and I spent muich more time patching serious tire and tube problems.  A partial solution was their K20 variant that was Kevlar belted.  That kept the tire together a lot better after a slash, at the expense of performance as it was a wire bead among other things. I remember one time I duct taped one and rode home, and thereafter always rode with a spare tire as well as a spare tube.

BUT... if you go in with your eyes open about their potential for problems... I'd be willing to bet that riding slicks will bring big rewards.  The ones I have seen so far are unimpressive as they violate the point of a fat bike in the first place.  Fat tires.

I was riding in the rain this evening and while I didn't have any traction issues, I sure did take it easy.  Slicks would have done better I bet.

Edited by MoneyPit

FWIW, I rode slicks ages ago and I remember being able to the most amazing power slides with the coaster brake. And I remember patching them all the time because they got sticky when warmed up and like @MoneyPit said they literally were magnets for everything. My racing tires for my car were like that too.

I wonder if the tires I got with their less grippy side wall are partly to blame for my wreck in March as well. 

But we have to try things ot know if we like them, read what others say and decide for ourselves I guess eh.

Read the review....slick as snot

You gotta remember the contact patch on 700c X 21 road bike slicks are about the size of a cigarette filter. All your weight is supported on two patches that size. On fat tires, on pavement, using the recommended 20 to 40 psi, the contact patch is about 100 Times that tiny road bike patch and the forces & traction is greatly reduced over such a large area.  

Edited by Tabletteer

On 1/10/2017 at 8:27 PM, Tabletteer said:

Read the review....slick as snot

This one?  the promised follow-on

https://fat-bike.com/2016/12/vee-tire-apache-fatty-slick-the-kbs-take/

Bah.  Humbug.  They are death traps in the wet.

I'm paying closer attention because I had my first flat.  Rear tire.  A piece of steel that must have been 3 1/2" long and 3/8" square.  Looked like a disc brake height adapter sorta kinda but wasn't.  Made quite a racket on the way in.  Not certain yet if the tire is salvageable.  Probably will be fine after a patch applied and some corn starch to keep the tube from sticking to same.

And tonight, I was going to put tuffy into that rim.  Oh well at least the tire is partially disassemled for that job, which includes going 180mm on the rear brake discs.

The review is pretty amazing for a huge tire you'd think was only suitable for Fat Bike Drag Racing. Never would have thought it would perform the best in sand. I live, in a forest on a huge lake and when the water is less than flood stage, there is a nice sandy beach. That slick won't fit on a Sondors frame most likely, unless it doesn't expand as wide with a tube fitted. I'd love to have a set, espically since I now have two sets of wheels and motors. I avoid the wet at all costs so their wet performance, although a negative, wouldn't make its ugly face known very often if at all. In over 1400 miles on the CopperHeaded-RattleMoccasin e3 (although a Mongoose will fight a Cobra, Nothing Fcuks With A CopperHeaded-RattleMoccasin ?) I've only had one low tire. I discovered a thumb tack in my front tire, before a ride, and the tire wasn't flat but about half pressure. I ride at 32 psi and refill when below 29. Takes many, many days for the Fat Tires to leak down. I figger I've been lucky (knock on wood) but have learned to appreciate Shrader Valves and the regular distribution of filling station air (remember Fina gasoline stations' champaign with Pink Air?) along my regularly traveled routes. I do have a small (about the size of a thick paperback novel) 12v Air compressor that I keep in my airplane that I intend to carry in the bike but I'll need a 12v step down transformer (I think Grinchy installed one) but it's pretty low on the priority list. 

I'm going to remove the rim strip on the front rim, because my buddy brought me this 6' Snake Skin in a compatable color from Bali Indonesia  to cut a strip from  and install so it appears in the rim cutouts behind a strip of clear vinyl and I'll reinstall the rim strip behind it all. 

image.jpeg

To keep with the CH-RM Theme. 

• Like 1

That's wisdom my father instilled in me when he was teaching me to drive in a 1948 Willys Jeep, "Don't drive near the curb because you'll get a flat tire". I hadn't recalled that memory in ....... Well, too long to remember. But I guess it stuck because I consider that area as the Danger Zone (my mind is playing that tune, with that title, from the movie Top Gun)  without thinking bout it when I ride. In the closest city to my home, there are placards painted on the streets and signs that say; "Bicycles May Use Full Lane", and we have a very active bicycle culture.  The local news paper reported the City's newly created Bicycle Coordinator's position as "Bicycle Czar". She told me she had an eBike built by a friend, when I was plugging in my charger on the veranda of the City offices. It's great to live near a city that is progressive enough to support the culture and the town is ripe with outlets to recharge at. 

Unfortunately where I am riding the Sondors - Fresno CA - Its a city of over half a million people that a) doesn't do a lot of street-sweeping and b) you can expect to get flattened if you are a 25mph cyclist trying to use a lane in a 40mph zone.  Just not an option.  Thats part of why I want so much lighting focused down on the ground as I ride.  To illuminate stuff like this.  I was on the downhill side of an overpass so I was humming along just under 30 mph.  Still way too slow to be trying to command a lane and expect to live to tell about it.  And too new on the bike to be paying proper attention.  i was basically zooming down the hill going "Wheeeeeee!" and paid the price.

The good news is/was that the bike was completely stable as it aired down.  No rim damage.  A patch covered over the hole in the tire and I was able to salvage the tube with another.

I'll be adding a spare tire to my gear in addition to a spare tube. (edit: No I won't, turns out rolled up fat tires are freaking gigantic) I learned to carry one with me on a road bike and since I have saddle bags and a freaking 1 kilowatt motor I can lug around a tire along with the rest of my gear.

Spare tire chosen:  A Folding Vee V8 26x4.0.  Probably a good street tire period.  Getting two of them and at some point might switch out both ot the Big Daddys and use one of them as the spare.

EDIT:

Oh and the pump.  GET THE LEZYNE HV XL I linked earlier.  As reviewers have implied: Its a miracle.  I can pump up to 20 psi without getting tired.  Much.  I actually had to bleed some air out to get the tire down to 20 after this flat.  Totally worth the money.  I am also using it in the garage instead of my compressor as its easy enough to use that the compressor is not worth firing up - I'll be done with the hand pump soon enough.

41LSaSoxobL.jpg

I used it when I changed out my rim strips to yellow, did my presta conversion and lined the wheels with Tuffy 4XL.  Sitting on a stool, one foot under the foot peg doodad and pumping with one hand ... easy-peasy.

edit June 5 2017:  Pumping 26x4.0 tires from 0 to 23 psi: 140 strokes.

I also saw reviews on this gauge and purchased it.  It too has a permanent place in the toolkit.  Works perfectly with my Presta valves with almost no air leakage.

41Rc8fNYSvL.jpg

Linkee:   http://a.co/a3JBNe5

Edited by MattRobertson
  • Thanks 1

So, I just hit 300 miles on my THIN, mostly ridden on pretty rough asphalt. I know when I walked/jogged I used a pair of shoes every summer on that path. It tends to eat tread fast, and they've been redoing it so it's got spots that are smoother now and cement spots, so it's not quite as bad. But, I'm paranoid. And like to be prepared.

The tires dont' look too bad, the contact patch looks OK but I can definitely see some wear. Any suggestions on how long one should ride THIN tires on tougher asphalt before looking at replacing?

I had considered going to some cyclocross tires since the path has sand and gravel slopped over onto it and I had great luck with the ones I put on my old "manual" bike. But I'm not sure with the Thin since I don't know how long these tires should last. I figure 500 miles before I have to look at changing them, but it depends on path, texture, weight of rider and riding style. I'm not super aggressive, I'm still scared of edges and fast curves/chincanes since I broke my leg last year and have gone off path twice on the thin, scared me to death. But, I just want to be safe and am looking into options so by end of season I'll be ready as I think at my current pace (10-16 miles a day 4-5 days a week) I'll wear them down enough they need replacement.

To see the path check my Action Camera thread videos. The new section isn't in those videos, its mostly cement and finer asphalt but its a mile at most of new parts. I'm under 170lbs and ride with them aired up to pressure and then backed off just a tad so the ride doesn't bounce my guts too bad. I had GI surgery in March (yeah, Im a surgery magnet) so I have to be careful about bumpy rides.

Thoughts?

I just changed out my Eclypse Edge-Fat 26x4.0's after 2 1/2 months and 1370 miles  Could have definitely gotten at least another couple weeks out of them to make 3 months/1700 miles, but I had to fix a flat and figured I would kill two birds and make an evening of it with both tires changed.

Not the same as your Thin, but bottom line with ebikes is the speed involved kills tires at an accelerated rate.  And its not like we aren't getting our money's worth as that many miles out of a tire moving what is for me an 80 lb bike at speed with a 235-lb rider... I got my $40 worth out of each tire.

Am now running the Origin-8 Supercells... the 30tpi (THIRTY!) version for durability.  These are Chaoyang Sandstorms relabeled and a LOT cheaper at about $43 each via Fleabay.

@alienmeatsack your tire sizes give you tons more options than can be had with fatties.  I bet Schwalbe has a bunch of stuff available.  Would look for a kevlar belted tire.  I sure miss those from my road bike.  Bulletproof.

Man, borrrriniiiiig. One nice slick, and that's about it, and everything's in the old, pre flood, when their were giants in the land size.

Welcome to the 21st century, and the hottest new rage. That I started.  :D Cool Bull 20 x 4.25 sexy flame pattern sport bike tires for the Fold. I now highly recommend these tires. They have thick tough tread, and stick to the road well. They're 51mm smaller  circumference, but slightly wider then the stock dual purpose tires. They're 50tpi.  $33.50 each, and pretty fast free shipping from china.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-original-Snow-ground-bike-beach-bicycle-tires-20-4-0-bike-tyre-950g-Beach/32687270607.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.27.L0IsJE&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10152_10065_10151_10130_10068_5430020_5400017_10307_10137_10060_10155_10154_5370011_10056_10055_10054_10059_5380011_100031_10099_10103_10102_5410017_10052_10053_10142_10107_10050_10051_10324_10325_10326_10084_10083_5440011_10080_10082_10081_10178_10110_10111_10112_5390011_10113_10114_5450011_10312_10313_10314_10315_10316_10078_10079_10073_5420011,searchweb201603_3,ppcSwitch_5&btsid=73961f09-73d3-4a21-9282-657b19186221&algo_expid=4518cd3a-1e7b-427c-8644-3e4817bc9d79-3&algo_pvid=4518cd3a-1e7b-427c-8644-3e4817bc9d79&transAbTest=ae803_3

Buffy's Fold.jpg

Flame pattern tire 2.jpg

Flame pattern tire.jpg

Cool Bull 3.jpg

@biknutMinus the stuff on the side of those tires, the tread is hella sexy! It's very sports motorcycle style looking. How is the thickness of the tread and sidewalls in regards to goat heads and other punctures on those?