Ordered a Fold XS

Howdy, y'all, from Texas. I placed an order for a Sondors Fold XS yesterday to take on my camping trips. I'll be soaking up as much information as I can until it arrives, currently slated for October. By that time, it should be cool enough down here to ride without suffering heat exhaustion.

In the meantime, my fender, rack, and bag kit already shipped, so I'll get to imagine what it'll look like on the bike for the next two months or more.

Well, Pardn’r you’ll a be a dreaming yur in the saddle of yur Fold XS, rid’n on the lone prairie soon, im’a hope’n. I ride almost every day on my reg’lr route ta town and back bout 20-25 miles depend’n and it’s been cooler than a well diggers sumtin, the last few days and night. I’m up here close to Denton and as we say, "Denton, always a few degrees Cooler than Dallas".  
I like camp’n trips to the LBJ Grasslands cause there ain’t no fees.  The trails are near impossible to ride cause they're fer horses and they can go over ruts that we can’t navigate.  Roads be great thou. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/about-forest/districts/?cid=fswdev3_008440
image.thumb.jpeg.f4684ead458b2e46216492a85cd1ec47.jpeg
Mountain View?  OH, VPN TOO FUNNY

Giddy-Up and Yippy Ti Yo Ya!

28C2D9CE-B578-4127-BAC2-8C3252C2F97E.jpeg.87bfeff53ceffea891c43669e97ae427.jpeg

REDDY

I got my fender, rack, and bag kit a couple of days ago. I kinda wished they had waited to ship the kit until closer to the ship date for the bike, but it will at least give me a chance to design and 3D-print a taillight mount for the rack that utilizes the license place bracket. I received the taillight I'm going to use yesterday.

Anybody know if Sondors is holding to shipping schedules lately? The suspense is killing me and I'm still at least 2 months out.

One person that ordered a Rockstar stated he was informed by Sondors that his bike was ready, but that because of shipping delays it would be at least another month (August to September) before it arrives.  Given what I read about shipping from China and delays delivering here in the USA, I'm not optimistic that my LX scheduled for September delivery will even make it here this year.

• 1 month later...

YaBum, 
Please document your whole process of unpacking, assembly, test rides (any problems) and adventures on your Fold XS. We don’t have many FoldXS owners’ documentation on the Forum.  Personally I’m interested in where you’ll ride while Camping. 
I’ve made several trips to Queen Wilhelmina State Park in Arkansas, in late October and November. It has the greatest Fall color and most varied plant life in the South.
If your interested, check with Park Staff on optimal dates and make campsite reservations early because it’s a popular venue in the Fall.  Although the hiking trails are too rugged for cycling, the park road is a spectacular ride and it shouldn’t be that far an Adventure for you. I went last year and will probably go again this year.
https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/queen-wilhelmina-state-park
image.thumb.jpeg.7bf5be2658d9a840fd11c2bab3855397.jpeg

REDDY

Posted (edited)

I’ve been through there a few times and finally got to camp there late last summer. It was considerably cooler there than down below in Mena but the flies were biting horribly. I’ll likely be retiring at the end of November, so I’ll have full say when I can go camping. 

Edited by TheBum

My trip last November, was a little too late for maximum color at the campgrounds around the Park Headquarters and Lodge (no flies), but lower elevations on the Talimena Scenic Drive were spectacular. The old Lodge that was built in the late 1800s was a spectacular example of “Parkaitecture”that the term was coined in many park buildings in the National Park System in their construction (https://www.nps.gov/subjects/architecture/parkitecture.htm)
I had the opportunity to visit it before it’s demise in the 80’s, motorcycle camping.  
On an another Colorado Trail, analog bike camping trip, before electricity was discovered in the 80’s, I met the Director of the Arkansas State Parks at the Needelton Siding of the Durango / Silverton Steam Train. He and his hiking companions, were waiting for a return train trip back to Durango and I disembarked, to take the adjacent trail in route to join the Colorado Trail on my bike and camp for a couple of nights on my way back to Durango, on my Cannondale Camper. 
Shown here at the Denton Downtown (then yet to be completed) Rail Station.
52188442-7306-4669-876E-CABD6CA584A4.thumb.jpeg.7a7a58bfb81199b19ec40f871e696a3e.jpeg

REDDY

I started unpacking this evening. I got the front wheel, the seat, and seatpost out of the box.

The suspension seatpost is an ExaForm KSP625 30.9mm. The seat is a Selle Royal Lookin series. I can’t tell which exact model it is. I’m guessing it’s an older model year than Selle Royal currently produces.

The tire is a ChaoYang. The cat did not come with it.

The third picture is how far I got in my unpacking before I called it quits for the night.

B066BDD3-229A-4D78-8508-52B6C736E344.jpeg

1540EEB5-DBD8-4A6F-999E-A053F6AB16FE.jpeg

53D44E5F-92E7-445A-B088-F3ECC09D2447.jpeg

4BD173B6-7251-4904-BD5D-F88DD7AE946E.jpeg

657453F5-3978-4202-91F4-7F852FE1B01C.jpeg

3FA6C040-BF6E-493E-AB0F-A98D63FA370F.jpeg

Edited by TheBum

The upgrades have already started. The first time I sat on the seat with the factory suspension seatpost, the suspension sunk to its lowest point. I attempted to adjust the tension, but the adjustment screw wouldn't budge. So, I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST G4 seatpost, which is the only one that will support my weight (with the extra firm elastomer). In the process of researching that purchase, I discovered that the extra firm elastomers were out of stock everywhere, including on Cane Creek's website. Luckily, I stumbled upon a Canadian shop online that had two, so I bought both of them even though shipping wasn't cheap. They're still in transit. In the meantime, I'll use the firm elastomer.

I'm also not too fond of the saddle shape (it was uncomfortable just sitting on it statically), so I ordered a Cloud 9 Cruiser ES saddle, which is two inches wider. I'll get that tomorrow.

The handlebar space is at a premium and I want to mount my phone and a headlight to it, so I also ordered an extender.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZMXS4NM/

I find the transition process as much fun as riding.
Same with my Sondors X. Parts are arriving, slowly but in a constant stream. 
It will be great to see what changes you make and your pictures in the Gallery. 
Be great to learn where you’ll find to ride round your area. 
image.jpeg.70856a90dc2fbc70ad15760e3954a35d.jpeg
            REDDY