2018 SONDORS X Europe

There are wires that run from the brakes down to the controller in the battery box.  These are for the cut off switches to interrupt the motor when you pull the brake levers.  Follow the wires to the HIGO connector and unplug it to test if it's the brake switch that's causing the issue.

• Like 1

I have checked all the leads including the brake cut offs, motor has no signs of water leakage inside. Lcd functions as normal. but no pedal assist or throttle and no error codes. it was going fine yesterday, I got caught in heavy rain for about half an hour, not an unusual ocurrenc,  the bike was running when I got home. I dried it off and removed the battery  as per usual , went back out the next day and no power. I have done 7733miles with no probs till now. Could it be the motor controller?

Since Heavy Rain was mentioned and your sure that it’s not any higo connector, that has moisture inside, try replacing the shunt, green cap, on the cable to the display and see if power is restored. The display and its control buttons are somewhat water resistant but not water proof. 
If power is not restored you’ll have to try tracing power from the controller to the motor with a multimeter. You will need to unplug the large HiGo connector under the right chainstay and, while depressing the throttle, see if you can measure any voltage from any of to pins of the three inside that connector. 
FA7A23E0-74C1-4EF0-8B8C-C24323DEFC9C.jpeg.2346c8a9b61b7fbf10ea6fde6a79d74c.jpeg

REDDY

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Since Heavy Rain was mentioned and your sure that it’s not any higo connector, that has moisture inside, try replacing the shunt, green cap, on the cable to the display and see if power is restored. The display and its control buttons are somewhat water resistant but not water proof. 
If power is not restored you’ll have to try tracing power from the controller to the motor with a multimeter. You will need to unplug the large HiGo connector under the right chainstay and, while depressing the throttle, see if you can measure any voltage from any of to pins of the three inside that connector. 

REDDY

Big Thanks for the help Reddy, I do not own or know how to use a multimeter, I must learn. I will have to phone a friend and see if they can assist me. Should I get no signal with multimeter, does that mean it is a faulty motor controller, all the lcd functions and displays seem fine with no err codes ? so battery getting power to that but not to motor. mmmm..

It’s a process of elimination and although the LCD might seem to work, we need to eliminate it as a cause. It is the most vulnerable component exposed to heavy rain. 
If you get no voltage registering on a multimeter (you can find videos on you tube about using one) that might confirm a bad controller. 
           REDDY 

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I'm working on that, a good time to learn those things. if it is the controller or lcd, is there  alternative replacements as Sondors are out of stock at present?, I have emailed support to find out if more stock of these parts will be available.

If you’ve followed any thread here about controllers or LCD’s you’ve learned that those Sondors components, are matched, with a proprietary communication protocol that makes either incompatible with any other aftermarket component or other Sondors models. On the upside, you can replace both with aftermarket and a more powerful 25Amp controller and LCD for not much more than the Sondors cost for either. 
Both https://electrobikeworld.com/products    or https://boltonebikes.com/collections/motor-controllers-and-displays  
List replacement components for Sondors. 
Unfortunately, a lot of eBike components are either in short supply or out of stock because they all come from China. 
Always verify with suppliers about the compatibility of the components, you require with your particular Sondors.

REDDY

• Like 1

OK. Good news I think and lessons to learn. I decided to have one last go at starting my bike, having had a good 72 hours to dry out and to my surprise and delight it lives. A stark reminder of the danger from the sky. This has reinforced the need to take more action when to rains. Living in the Highlands of Scotland we get a lot of the stuff and its a tribute to Sondors that this has not happened to me before. I work in supported living with mental health and rely so much on my bike for transport all around the city, without the bike the logistics of public transport just don't work. Again a big thanks to all the help and support from the forum and big thumbs up to Sondors.

Glad you're "On The Road Again".

https://youtu.be/M6Ggp3TJjuE 

I carry a inexpensive plastic drop cloth in a pannier,

image.jpeg.7e8eab674089e905268d6d86d368bfe1.jpeg

just in case I get caught in a storm and I try to avoid rain because even riding on wet roads it takes 2 hours to clean my bikes. 
https://www.electricbike.com/water-proofing-trouble-shooting/
‘Happy Trails’

28C2D9CE-B578-4127-BAC2-8C3252C2F97E.jpeg.87bfeff53ceffea891c43669e97ae427.jpeg
    REDDY

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Glad you're "On The Road Again".  I carry a inexpensive plastic drop cloth in a pannier, just in case I get caught in a storm and I try to avoid rain because even riding on wet roads it takes 2 hours to clean my bikes. 
‘Happy Trails’

https://www.electricbike.com/water-proofing-trouble-shooting/

REDDY

Thanks Reddy, went out and bought a tester today.Still to learn, got a mate who is going to help me with that and of coarse youtube vids. Great to be on the road again for sure. Just back form a 15 mile test run and all appears well.Thanks Again and stay safe.

Edited by Dickiebills

Typical results from personal experience and posts here on the forum, are that if you avoid riding in heavy downpours or continually riding in the rain, water incursions are usually not a problem. But it doesn’t hurt to use some precautions, particularly on the large Controller to Motors Higo connector.  WD-40’s name is derived from, "Water Displacement, 40th Formulation". It’s not a lubricant. The connector is engineered to try and prevent water incursions. I have never had this problem in over 20,000 miles on my two Sondors. I wonder if the motor cut-out switch, in a brake lever, is water resistant or water proof. 
I avoid riding in rain if I can help it. It’s not because of electrical problems but it takes considerable labor to clean my bikes. Never clean your Sondors with a pressure washer.  I will say, that on one of my hybrid Cannondale H400 non eBikes, it was really fun being caught in a heavy downpour and a high winds storm. My only problem was being able to see and glasses didn’t help, I was near blinded.  For a while I carried goggles when riding in summer with a police motorcycle type helmet 

image.jpeg.aa32257a685b2332eb0e1b8eb0457db0.jpeg

and with me in rain possible rides, in winter, where they help, even though I ride with this Aviators Helmet with a clear and tinted visor. 
image.jpeg.3374be70284291f7f7ba3a7ee22f4438.jpeg
I do believe that a ziplock baggie over the LCD will protect it in downpours and placing it in a ziplock bag full of uncooked rice, after an anomaly like encountered in this thread, can help dry it, if it has experienced water incursion. 
There are pictures of motors on this forum, completely full of rust and destroyed.
Never leave an ebike stored outside and if you live in a area with drastic humidity and temperatures changes and store your bike in an unheated building or garage, a box fan, to circulate air inside that enclosed space, will help keep condensations from forming, outside and inside your bike.  In newer Sondors Models, with internal cable routing, the product, "Corrosion X" can be used to stave-off rust and corrosion on any metals, even inside your bikes frame. I have no idea about it’s reaction on electrical components so I wouldn’t use it on any of those. 
I just try and avoid riding in the rain.

REDDY

• Like 1

Sondors did get back to me regarding parts ie 2018 x controller and seem sure they prob will not get it back in stock. OWW Well( Fleetwood Mac ) at least they are being honest, always cool. So I'm gonna buy in the KT parts and put in storage for future in case of  probable probs. Thanks all Dickie.

Ever hear of Aled Owen? He’s probably the most internationally recognized and celebrated Sheep Dog trainer, trials competitor and breeder residing in the UK. Your part of the planet. 
https://www.aled-owen-sheepdogs.co.uk

I had a Border Collie, Gwyndolen , that was bred from his Border Collie Roy’s Lineage.  I lost her 4 years ago and like all of the Female Collies I’ve raised, was an exceptional Collie. She loved the TV series Lassie and where-ever she was, she’d come running to sit in front of the TV at the first sounds from the show’s theme song.  She would watch the whole show. She also had a favorite movie, "Never Cry Wolf".

image.thumb.jpeg.9cb4f23b8b043aeb4a18560a5e6a980e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2945135231eb032280359d5265153455.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fb660c258741e875ab99f34029fe7248.jpeg

REDDY

• Like 1