Rockstar Accessories

The kickstand was posted by  @billmeek and he’s compiling a good list of accessories and upgrades for his LX, yet to be delivered. 
https://sondorsforum.com/topic/3739-kickstand-for-sondors-rockstar/?tab=comments#comment-13299
If I’d been a snake i’da bit ya.

If this post, doesn’t bring him around, you can private message him, I’m sure he can help you. 

FA7A23E0-74C1-4EF0-8B8C-C24323DEFC9C.jpeg.2346c8a9b61b7fbf10ea6fde6a79d74c.jpeg

REDDY

Reddy,

I have a LX on order rather than the Rockstar.  To find the Rockstar kickstand only took a few minutes of searching on the Internet.  The lights I origionally bought to put on my (current) MXS turned out to be a bad purchase as the taillight wouldn't charge and the headlight literally fell apart from missing screws.  I'm betting it was a return and the seller was hoping the buyer was too lazy to return it or write a bad review.  It was returned for credit and I ordered a similar light set  with higher lumens from another Amazon seller:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082GXHD4P/

So far I'm satisfied with the light and it should work fine on any Sondors bike.  For the MXS, I just broke down and spent the money on the Sondors kit with fenders/rack/bag.  And while at it, went ahead and ordered a spare battery for good measure to make sure I don't get stranded without power on long rides.

For Rockstar fenders, since they don't list them on the Sondors parts page, I'd probably call Sondors and ask what fenders they are using on the very first photo of the Rockstar at:

https://shop.sondors.com/pages/rockstar

Edited by billmeek

I'm working throughout the night tonight and have some spare time between tasks.  So since my Google-Fu failed to turn up an option, I started perusing  threads using find on each page of posts (manually searching since the website search failed too) and found this Rockstar fender option:

SKS Beavertail Fenders: Product page: https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/beavertail-set-2/

20210513_194130-jpg.87484

From the owner:

They were pretty much a straight bolt on however I needed to get them warmed up with a hair dryer for about 10 minutes to soften them up and then step on them to make them wider. The front fender needed a shim between the fork and the fender bracket to even it out with the tire.

If you search ebay, you'll find a few vendors.  Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322448408943?hash=item4b136c416f:g:hQwAAOSwWxNYwzqM

The exact title of the product is "SKS BEAVERTAIL UNIVERSAL 26" AND 28" BLACK FENDER SET"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Raymond,

Just to be perfectly clear, I don't have a Rockstar.  My current bike is an MXS and I have an LX on order for September delivery.  I simply did a lot of searching around for the Rockstar accessories and am providing it.

From the owner:

The rear rack is a tetra m-2. The rear bag is a Topeak mtx. It's designed to slide onto the rack and clicks into place. The rack mounts onto the rear swing arm with velcro fasteners that work extremely well. It needs to be mounted as far back as possible otherwise it will be too close to the seat.
I also recommend the Rocbros Kickstand
You can't beat it for the price of 20 bucks
It's barely big enough to fit on the massive lower frame but it does, just make sure to put as far back as possible.

In the second post of this thead, Reddy linked to another post of mine where I found a different kickstand on Amazon that someone else uses on his Rockstar.

• 6 months later...

Anyone figured out a light system that will work with the Rockstar battery and controller? The controller shows a "headlight" on start up that you can turn off by holding the "+" button down -- this also "brightens" up the display for daytime use,  so it appears the controller is capable of handling lights. I just can't see where I'd wire them in nor have any idea which brand might actually be plug-and-play? 

On our Hub Motor Sondors, there is a dedicated lead from the controller with a red HiGo connector and some of our preferred Sondors Support Suppliers did carry a multi configured system that included (your option) Head Light, Tail Light & Horn. Without the dedicated lead, you’re on your own,tapping into the main power, using a step down transformer and with a separate switch. Not all Controller & LCD shown functions work with all the eBikes they’re paired with.  
7648AA25-D0DE-4523-987A-6A74543163D4.jpeg.344bbf676962ba5254ac5d475130d89c.jpeg

REDDY

That’s great for hub motor, but what about mid drive — are you saying we’re SOL and on our own?

Edit:

I decided to reach out Sondors tech support and just received this answer regarding Rockstar lighting -- so yeah, it appears we're S-O-L and on our own. Color me disappointed...:

>>Hello, 

The Rockstar doesn't have an option for lights. 

Should you need additional help or have any questions please reach out to us anytime.

Sean
Tech support/Parts dept<<

Edited by Jack

No, you’re not out of luck, you just have the Option to custom configure the exact Perfect Lightning System for you and your Rockstar’s mission.  
I’d suggest an independent power bank constructed with Li Ion 18650 GA cells to power the lights of your choosing. I have as primary or backup, Battery Banks for various electronic devices. Each one of my Sondors has one that powers the lights (my usb equipped KT LCD3 displays keep them topped off from the main battery), that I carry in a top tube trunk.
The preconfigured light package manufactured in China, that I mentioned, was generic, pretty low tech and not a Sondors product. Probably great for China’s use to see thru the noxious smog. 
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32761134632.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=2114.12010612.8148356.14.50e87348tMLIBP
Not sure how you’ll be using your Rockstar after dark but my own Original Fat, now the “Electric Black Lightning” is a 33 mph heavy hauler that I ride at least 20 mi round trip on my shortest routes. It has over 17,000 miles.  At night it requires superior lights and I didn’t even consider that package …. because I wanna see, be seen and live to ride another day. All three on my Sonders use different versions of the same front light system depending on that bikes mission. 
In general terms, full suspension MTBs, usually don’t come with lights or a kickstand for that matter but most Rockstar owners probably will be road riders with, maybe, some trail use. If I had one, I’d surely want fantastic lights for safety. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f60e5de9129c93a0f0953bdc779c524b.jpeg
Even the Red Border Collie in the foreground has an supplemental LED collar for night time use when we’re away from home on road trips. 

Hey, sorry you’re disappointed and can appreciate the feeling. I let this one get away and have regretted it ever since.
Here on day trip in the Hatch Valley in New Mexico. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a57a042f88ca745afcc43b7f7838e8e0.jpeg
Yeah Disappointed!
REDDY 

Fair enough. But on the Sondors Rockstar web page, if you expand the specifications list, the very first item reads something like, "Lights: Integrated LED Headlight and Tail Light (will be available as an accessory) !!!!!!! 

So first question is why is that on the Sondors Rockstar web page if untrue? Second, if true then what is the delay or even problem with Sondors offering a P&P self-install kit off the shelf? I mean it's almost ridiculous not to. Clearly the Bafang mid drive controller is already programmed for lights --you can turn the icon for them on and off from the control switch right now--  so the wiring *must* already be inside the frame somewhere -- or worst case a light kit plug-splices in between one of the other existing connectors.  So why is it a big secret? Why not tell us where it's stuffed and tied off exactly? Why make us search for it? Whoever assembles these things surely knows where the unused harness connectors are stowed...

So sure, I can buy a self-powered rechargeable LED bike lighting kit for under $40 and solve *my* issue easily. But I also like clean installations, and so having a factory type installation seems a lot nicer.  In my case I'm researching the Banfang mid drive wiring and controller diagram and will figure it out for myself -- which is a relative PITA since it has to be already known... 

As re your disappointment, it looks like it was way more significant than this one of mine ;)  

That is disappointing to hear. It does sound like we’re on our own for the most part. The old, “you bought it, now it’s your problem.”

Edit: back to the issue, I spent 20 minutes online, got some clues off other miid drive bikes and found the light plug in the Rockstar harness(!) I have ordered cables and lights to test out, so stay tuned for a progress report and full details if it’s a successful project. 

Edited by Jack

Jack, I did not know lights were to be available. Not unusual for accessories to follow after the release of new models. Even the Original wasn’t supplied with an LCD or offered as an option, although the cable was attached to the controller. I bought one from China, a couple of released before Sondors offered one as an option. Those are questions only Sondors, the Company, can answer, even if some of the Techs there are clueless. That ain’t US and acting as a complaint board is not what we will entertain as written in the user agreement you signed when you created your account. 
My reply was to offer alternative options for something Sondors Tech said was unavailable. I understand your frustration but all these complaints must be directed to Sondors, not here.  We are here to help but your and JCJs problems are not something we can help with. 
F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg
But I’ve Volunteered My Time Here For 6 Years. Don’t Try & Characterize That Decision … REDDY

As a follow-up in this thread, involving Sondors CS, to my one and only experience with Sondors CS, today. My newest SondorsX developed a front brake issue. I had diagnosed this exact issue recently for another member and the return spring  inside the caliper is the problem.  It didn’t develop until the 400th mi on my bike. When using the front brake, relativity hard but not a panic stop, the handle bar lever collapsed to the grip and after, there was no front brake action. I initially thought it was the cable was not tight on the caliper arm capture allen screw device and slipped but after I got back to fix it, when I returned the caliper arm back to its open brake position it seemed to be functioning normally again until there was significant resistance and with a clunk-ratcheting noise, both the handle bar lever collapsed to the grip and the caliper arm collapsed to the barrel adjuster stop.  The internal spring didn’t try to return it. I theorize the spring attachment point inside the caliper could reset by manually returning the lever to the open position but it slips when encountering significant resistance.
Created a ticket on the Sondors Site with a video attacked of the problem and received a confirmation email on that same Tuesday, the 28th. I subsequently added a couple of additional responses to more clearly state the issue and received an appointment for a call from a tech for today at noon:30. After the usual verification process and explaining what I had found and what I theorized in the 10 minute call including time for the tech to process the replacement caliper order  … I was done. Received and email shortly there after of my order, today the 30th. 

Anecdotal information or data can not be considered the standard but it can be added to the overall sum of experiences.
EDIT: Today the 5th, my “Brake Caliper - Front Brake - All hub models shipped after 2020 × 1”,  was delivered,
The gears @ Sondors were turning for me! 
image.thumb.gif.e4dbe1278f553de390c85dd83bd0eefc.gif

REDDY

On 12/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, Jack said:

Fair enough. But on the Sondors Rockstar web page, if you expand the specifications list, the very first item reads something like, "Lights: Integrated LED Headlight and Tail Light (will be available as an accessory) !!!!!!! 

So first question is why is that on the Sondors Rockstar web page if untrue? Second, if true then what is the delay or even problem with Sondors offering a P&P self-install kit off the shelf? I mean it's almost ridiculous not to. Clearly the Bafang mid drive controller is already programmed for lights --you can turn the icon for them on and off from the control switch right now--  so the wiring *must* already be inside the frame somewhere -- or worst case a light kit plug-splices in between one of the other existing connectors.  So why is it a big secret? Why not tell us where it's stuffed and tied off exactly? Why make us search for it? Whoever assembles these things surely knows where the unused harness connectors are stowed...

So sure, I can buy a self-powered rechargeable LED bike lighting kit for under $40 and solve *my* issue easily. But I also like clean installations, and so having a factory type installation seems a lot nicer.  In my case I'm researching the Banfang mid drive wiring and controller diagram and will figure it out for myself -- which is a relative PITA since it has to be already known... 

As re your disappointment, it looks like it was way more significant than this one of mine ;)  

Jack, as I have found out, what is listed on the Sondors Rockstar spec sheet is not always true. I just found out that the new Rockstars being shipped are not equipped with the Tektro Hydraulic brakes (as installed on the earlier Rockstars) as stated on the Sondors site. They now appear to be Clarks M3. Customer Service / Tech Support told me it was due to supply issues .

Edited by Cross-Up

9 hours ago, Cross-Up said:

Customer Service / Tech Support told me it was due to supply issues...

According to Arda from Ariel Rider, if you ordered brakes (video made in mid 2021), Tektro wouldn't be delivering them until 2024.  Watch this portion of the interview until around 13:14:

2 hours ago, billmeek said:

According to Arda from Ariel Rider, if you ordered brakes (video made in mid 2021), Tektro wouldn't be delivering them until 2024.  Watch this portion of the interview until around 13:14:

billmeek, thank you very much for posting this. This does answer all of my questions. 

I ordered the Portland Mud Shovel strap-on front and seat-post rear fenders and am happy with them so far, but have not yet had them in any heavy mud. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B81G1WF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZQJ93R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added a top-bar cell-phone bag -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KWLZ5TM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's pretty nifty and plenty of room for my tools, CO2 air and front light remote battery pack, and enough room left over I can squeeze a lightweight rain shell in -- and it holds my big iPhone.  You will need a piece of velcro to extend the length of the rear strap to fit around the top tube, but the front strap fits easily.

I started a new thread with my lighting update in case others have newer or better info... 

Edited by Jack

As an update, I scrapped my rear Portland Mud shovel referenced above. It flopped around a lot and occasionally the rear tire caught the lip when the rear was under compression m-- nothing horrible, but annoying.  I got one of the SKS rears shown above and like it a lot more, though admittedly it isn't quite as wide as the tire through the mid section, so we will see how well it works. I do like the Portland front option so it stays.