Sondors X-play in front fork/brake with modulation

I just received my new 2020 Sondors X and I absolutely love it!!! I’ve been out every single day braving the cold because I’m having a lot of fun!!! I have a question/concern however about some movement/play in the front fork or brake whenever I modulate the front lever to stop at higher speeds (>7-8mph). At first I thought maybe the stem or headset needed to be properly tightened up, but after further inspection that doesn’t seem to be the issue. It seems like there’s movement or play in the lower fork or caliper area. I gently torqued all 4 caliper bolts to make sure they were snug enough from the factory and they were fine. Any thoughts as to what is going on? All help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

If you have followed the Sondors X assembly instruction video.    https://vimeo.com/343049462   
The only thing I can think of, if the wheel looks centered between the fork legs, with that little information, is if it could be described as brake chatter. That would indicate a badly adjusted front brake, the need to bed in the pads on a new bike or a warped front brake disc. The latter might happen if the front wheel was on the ground with the disc side down. I’d suggest following some of the youtube videos that cover mechanical front disc brake adjustment (review a few to get a broad spectrum of procedures), after,  bedding in the brake pads. That is accomplished by a dozen or so, repetitive high speed stops, in succession, that might even include dragging the brakes while you pedal and using throttle to heat the discs and bed the pads to the disc. Let them cool completely after, they will be scorching hot. Then, see if that eliminates the brake grab or chatter while stopping. Next, before you adjust anything, a visual inspection for disc warp while spinning the wheel. Easiest to see with a back lite caliper.  One trick I’d recommend, if you find it necessary to adjust the caliper positioning, is using a business cards between the pads and disc, while using a thick rubber band to hold the brake lever closed, loosen the caliper bolts… then relighted to align and center the caliper on the disc. Finally check pad adjustment visually. The inside pad clearance is adjusted first, with minimal clearance, throughout the wheel’s rotation. Then the outboard pad, then again, using a business card thickness as a guide. 
LEMMENO.
image.jpeg.15821fe6224e5ea96f64ebfbf03b74d6.jpeg

REDDY

Hi Reddy,

Thank you for the detailed and helpful response. I think it may be brake chatter because after I posted this I re-inspected the front brake and observed that when the lever is fully actuated in a quick manner the movement/play does not occur, leading me to believe that feathering or partial actuation is causing the chattering movement. I’m going to follow your directions to make sure the brake is correctly adjusted and see if that helps. Also I’ve only had it out for a handful of rides so pad break-in is a factor. PS I did follow the video and thought it was easy to follow and very well done. Thanks again!

That would indicate to me that the pads are contacting unevenly, during part of the wheel / disc rotation . I think your right. Check disc for warp and then pad adjustment if needed. Of course because everything is new, bedding in the brakes will increase braking efficiency. 
A28EDD3E-259F-49C2-AF12-23DE78C41A44.jpeg.6cf6239f64b9fdc300ac2e7c611f7f9c.jpeg

REDDY

• 2 weeks later...