Cooling Fan on Charger not working?

My Fold X arrived a few days¬†ago and when I plugged in the charger, I noticed the cooling fan wasn't working¬†ūü§Ē

I figured it might be stuck, but when I blew into it, it spun freely.

Then I thought it might be thermal activated, but I didn't see it move even when it got pretty warm.

Didn't watch it all night, but the battery was fully charged the next morning without issue. 

Is this normal?

I tried contracting Sondors, but got no response

Did you plug in the battery to the charger before plugging the charger into the wall?  For me, the fan runs all the time and the charger gets hot.  There is serious amperage going through that thing into the battery pile.

Edited by BexNYC

By the way, Sondors recommends not leaving it on the charger when it is fully charged.  I am not sure I understand why, but it might be because it isn't a particularly smart charger (unlike laptop or phone chargers, which have a cutoff for the voltage in the battery pile).  The light goes green, but it still stays warm and the fan keeps going. Typically chargers these days monitor the voltage, which is a simple current and op-amp addition to stop applying current when the battery has the optimal maximum voltage.  But Sondors chargers do not seem to have this simple part of the circuit, even if the light turns green---or they do have it but they warn their customers not to use it for some reason.  They say never to leave it unattended and running after the charger indicates that it is full (green).  Did yours go green over night?  See their recommendations here, although I don't know why your charger's fan didn't engage on startup.

https://shop.sondors.com/blogs/news/caring-for-your-sondors-battery

1 hour ago, BexNYC said:

Did you plug in the battery to the charger before plugging the charger into the wall?  For me, the fan runs all the time and the charger gets hot.  There is serious amperage going through that thing into the battery pile.

Yes, I plugged the battery in first, then flipped the switch on my power strip.

After I noticed the fan wasn't spinning, I tried plugging and unplugging in all different ways, but no change.

1 hour ago, BexNYC said:

By the way, Sondors recommends not leaving it on the charger when it is fully charged.  I am not sure I understand why, but it might be because it isn't a particularly smart charger (unlike laptop or phone chargers, which have a cutoff for the voltage in the battery pile).  The light goes green, but it still stays warm and the fan keeps going. Typically chargers these days monitor the voltage, which is a simple current and op-amp addition to stop applying current when the battery has the optimal maximum voltage.  But Sondors chargers do not seem to have this simple part of the circuit, even if the light turns green---or they do have it but they warn their customers not to use it for some reason.  They say never to leave it unattended and running after the charger indicates that it is full (green).  Did yours go green over night?  See their recommendations here, although I don't know why your charger's fan didn't engage on startup.

https://shop.sondors.com/blogs/news/caring-for-your-sondors-battery

I left it plugged in for about 5 hours and it went green overnight

While it was red, the charger got pretty warm, but once it was green again, it had cooled down

I'll be setting a timer from now on

Both the Sondors Charger & Battery have BMS, PCB,s. They protect the batteries from over charging and burning your house down. 
https://www.electricbike.com/bmss-what-do-they-do/

‚ÄėThat doesn‚Äôt mean a BMS can‚Äôt fail. Electricbike forum member, Spinning Magnets, a major contributor at electricbike.com, had his garage burn to the ground by a LiPo pack that caught fire during charging. They are more volatile and I‚Äôve not heard of a single report of a Sondors Battery catching on fire on this forum.¬†
Luna Cycle states that unplugging their charger is not necessary, after a battery is fully charged but Electrobikeworld states the opposite. I checked with both because I wanted to know their position. Any Attorney would advise their bike manufacture to state the safest procedure to avoid liability in case of a fire or other claimed damage. 
I used to recharge my batteries inside a wood burning stove in my studio, where I keep my bikes. .... I might be playing with (potential) fire but with 5 chargers and batteries over 5 years I’ve become complacent but confident in the reliability of my chargers, even my two Sondors.
I always unplug my chargers. 
Pray for my Safety.

Sondors Original 36V 8.6ah 2amp chargers didn’t have a fan but the next gen, 36V 12.8ah 3amp charger does but neither charger, that I have, are problematic nor is the fan. That’s not true for my Luna 52V Advanced charger, who’s fan is now loud and noisy after a few years of use and if it’s on any resonate surface, it sounds like an angry hornets nest. We’ve heard of noisy fan complaints in the past but I can’t remember an inop fan report. 
 Another reason it’s a good idea to unplug your charger is because a lot of owners report they have a bad battery that won’t charge because they leave the chargers connected to the wall outlet and just plug the charger into the battery when trying to charge their it.  Yeah, that’s not going to start the charge cycle.

‚ÄėContact Sondors Support ... They owe you a new charger.¬†
image.jpeg.15821fe6224e5ea96f64ebfbf03b74d6.jpeg

REDDY

Thanks for the info

I decided to monitor and document the second charge with random temp checks

Unfortunately, in a little less than an hour, the charger went *poof* and I was greeted with that lovely aroma of burnt electronics :(

Here's video:

I'll be giving SONDORS' a call in the morning.

Hopefully they will take care of this quickly so i can get back on the road