dennis roshay

ANSWERED mxs battery will not charge

Battery charged when bike first assembled. Rode 20 miles till battery indicator showed about half full and then tried to charge to full strength. Only green charger light comes on but will not charge. My meter shows 55.4 volts coming from charger. Something must be wrong with connector on battery as bike is only a week or so old. Please give any advice I can try. Took battery off bike and tried charging and same result. Can use some help here...

Do you connect the charger to the battery with the battery switched off before plugging the charger into the wall outlet?

Showing that voltage (55.4 volts is a full charge and the charger will not charger any higher) and you can adjust the graphical display to show that It’s all bars in your LCDs setup. Review the manual. 

F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg

REDDY

Yes, that's how I do it and did it that way first time and the battery charged just fine. Now, only green light comes on and not charging. Can I send battery to Sondors so they can check why it won't charge? Just wondering what my options are....I guess in a pinch I could drive the battery out there if need be..long drive though...is that a possibility ?...thanks for your quick response.....dennis

You’ll need to contact Sondors on their site, Sondors.com and initiate a request ticket under their Support header. I’d also suggest initiating contact thru chat. 
28C2D9CE-B578-4127-BAC2-8C3252C2F97E.jpeg.87bfeff53ceffea891c43669e97ae427.jpeg
    REDDY

I seem to be having a similar problem. After charging for a few hours the charger displays a green light, but when I disconnect it and turn the battery switch on and power up the bike, the display only shows 3 or 4 bars.

Dennis, please let me know what the Sondors support people say.

Thanks

The charger turning from red (meaning it’s charging) to green after a few hours (indicating it has charged the battery to capacity) is exactly how the charging  cycle works. 
 The LCD is programmable. If the previous owner monkeyed with the settings, that could result in a display bar graph error, it’s only an algorithm and very inaccurate to begin with. What does the voltage read on the display with a fully charged battery fresh off the charger? Alternately the most accurate reading is obtained using a multimeter testing the battery at its output leads to the controller. If it’s a triangle 48V battery this chart will tell you how much of a charge your battery has.  You realize that a battery’s capacity will diminish over time, and it may only have that much capacity left but knowing the actual voltage at fully charged will tell you which percentile. 

D07C5DB9-A16B-450D-9F3B-A875622142F2.thumb.jpeg.06723589c90d97c8bdadf1b7c1a173f3.jpeg
F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg

REDDY

Thanks Reddy,

I'm finding that if I unplug the charger, wait for a few minutes, then reconnect the charger to the battery and plug the charger in, the light turns red and it continues charging. I had to do this procedure about four times today before I got a full charge indication on the display.

I will try your recommendation about checking battery voltage at the 4 pin connecter. Which pins do I use to check voltage?

You actually only need to pierce the leads, between the battery and controller, with the meter’s probes. Does no harm. You can check the output on the charger too. That Issue of having to reconnect the charger a few times to reach total capacity, most likely would indicate a failing BMS in either the charger or battery.  But I’d put my money (what I have in the top tube trunk on my bike) that it could be an indication of one or more bad cells in the battery pack. When that happens other batteries in the pack try and bring the bad cell to capacity 3.7v or 4.2v. That depletes the good cells somewhat and the BMS will now try and charge the battery up to capacity again. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_management_system

1B12C797-0A52-4B68-84C5-5C919C27CFC4.jpeg.0fc4022e6b64f07503db62fdfe7233d6.jpeg
                 REDDY