Fold XS 750w Hub vs European Hills

Hello everyone,

I have been researching/looking at e-bikes for about a month now and every time I think I have made a final decision I read or learn something new about them. I have found several hub motor e-bikes I really liked, Sondors being one of them. I currently reside in Europe and there are quite a few large hills around me...and eventually I will be moving to a very hilly/mountainous area in the USA. As far as I understand, Mid-drive motors are highly preferred when it comes to dealing with inclines. Unfortunately, Sondors only offers the Fold XS for Europe, although I do really like the aesthetics, I am a bit concerned about how well the hub motor will handle the terrain. Besides speed being a concern, I am primarily worried about overheating and burning out parts. Can anyone share any experience or wisdom on this matter to help me make a purchase decision? Thoughts on hub vs mid drive? Thanks!

Edited by Guest
Data

Howdy.
Are you a cyclist?  Sondors are all bicycles with pedal assist.    Ebikes are not eMotorcycles. No Hub Motored eBikes are considered hill climbers. But, you can upgrade a Fold XS’s Controller, for use in your German location in Europe, by installing a 25Amp controller and compliant LCD and riding the less Elevated Hill Trails and routes closer to the river. It’s only 700 feet or 214 meters, around town, about the same as it here where I’m at in Texas.

003162F4-C4B9-4FB0-B1F6-82A96C26F98D.jpeg.98a413bd2b5bdcbb1bcaabcebfa68f9f.jpeg
                                   I named my favorite Long Horn ...Sondors. 

Then sell your Fold in Germany, when you move to the US and then, the only real option for a hub motored Sondors that can successfully , repeatedly, climb hills, not continually climb Mountains, is the Sondors MXS. Get Ya One! If you intend to go riding mountain trails or have visions of yourself riding the Colorado Trail (been there done that) or continually ride up steep mountain trails, buy a Sur-Ron and add pedals. 
51A52D33-8870-471C-A6C4-507D90641B6F.jpeg.a5504fabdc5aa72ab0d4730c2bd75fe1.jpeg
                                 REDDY

I wouldn't consider myself a cyclist per-say but I do plan on using this bike for a multitude of things. The commute to work forces me to take some pretty steep hills (not sure the % incline) but beyond commuting with it I would also like to be able to take the various bike trails/gravel roads for fun, many of which also force you into some inclines. I don't mind pedaling to assist the bike at all as I have been doing these trails/commutes with a normal bike but it would be nice to not have to worry about burning out the engine or damaging the bike if I was in a rush or didn't want to sweat while going up these hills trying to rely more on the motor. I was also considering the potential of a tow-behind caddy for a small child or groceries/gear...which I am assuming would require more torque and a mid-drive motor perhaps. The Sur Ron looks nice but I am trying to keep my  price range closer to 2000 and below. 

In which country do you live?

The Fold XS has to be registered as a L1e-B vehicle (aka "Moped") in the European Union.

It shouldn't be a big deal if you get COC-papers, but there are some additional costs like registration, license plate and insurance. At least in Austria and I assume in many other EU countries you are not allowed to ride the Fold XS on bikeways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_category#EU_classification

I would recommend to buy a nice bike in the US, if you already know that you are going there. If you stay in Europe, it is going to be difficult to get a proper bike below 2k Euros.

I'm also not sure how you define trails. I wouldn't use any Sondors bike that I rode (X, Fold X, Thin, Fold Sport) on an Austrian trail. They are not build for trails, but at least the 48V bikes  work on hilly roads without any issues.

I live in Southern Germany currently. There are only a handful of e-bike companies that will ship from the USA overseas...Sondors being one of the few (good quality).  I am less concerned with the legal/registration aspect of the bike and more its ability to survive and thrive on the terrain. The trails I brought up are not  what I would call technical, I am not trying to bike up the face of a mountain or do any crazy rough trails...they are small rock/gravel/dirt running/hiking trails that have some occasional steep spots. It seems most of the bikes I have seen for sale local do not have a throttle or are extremely low power/speed. Many of them mid-drive (which is nice for those pesky hills) but due to the legal restraints I think many shy away from being able to go over 20mph. I can always govern the bike and put restrictions on it here to make it legal but I want to be able to open it up and have some freedom back in the USA whenever I get back (and also be able to use it in the Colorado area where hills will continue to be a problem).

If you don't mind me asking...why would you not use your bike on an Austrian trail? Comfort? Is it just not able to power up it? Thank you for your input.

Edited by Guest
spelling

1. Gears: I think the gear ratio on the 7-Speed Sondors Fold XS is something like 48T x 28T for the lowest gear , so at least for the mountains in Austria that's not really low enough. I got 30T x 46T on my Cannondale Jekyll.

2. Brakes: The Fold XS got some hydraulic brakes, but usually the Sondors breaks are mechanical and at least for me they are not good enough. I swapped them for Magura MT5e.

3. Suspension Fork: I swapped the Sondors suspension fork for a RockShox fork,  but this is still nothing compared to the Fox 36 170mm on my Jekyll. 

4. Frame: The Fold XS is a folding bike. This is a one size fits all frame and folding bikes are not build for trails. I got a couple of bikes that are fitted to my size and that makes a big difference.

5. Weight: The Fold XS is really heavy compared to E-MTBs. 32kg vs 22-24kg for the average E-MTB with a Bosch CX4 or a Shimano E8000. and a 625-630 Wh battery.

I assume the Fold XS will work on dirt roads. So maybe it is only me. 🙂

@Germany:

Throttles are not allowed in Germany as far as I know.

Edited by LasVegas