I know some of us who've replaced our tires have a little lower profile and the stock stand tends to leave the bike standing straighter. I believe @biknut just bent his a little to fix this issue. I was thinking of doing the same, bending it backwards so when it's "up" it kicks up just a little, sort of paying homage to the tail pipes on a motorcycle.

Nice to know there's a replacement out there in case I (or anyone) damages their beyond holding the bike up. it's funny too because when I rode BMX, having a kickstand was about as lame as one could get. Now, I can't life without my kickstand!

• Like 1

Update, when I put the Vee Rubber Sportsters on my bike I needed to adjust my stock kickstand so my bike would lean correctly. I just put the kickstand into the vise and very gently bent it enough so when "up" the bend put the end upwards, and when it's down it took about 1/2-3/4" out of the length, then I rotated the rubber stand piece on the end and it's worked OK so far. But I think I'd like to go shorter. I was thinking of just cutting a bit off the end so the bike leans on it more.

Has anyone explored a center mount style or a dual leg center mount kickstand for these for more stability?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 8:19 PM, alienmeatsack said:

Has anyone explored a center mount style or a dual leg center mount kickstand for these for more stability?

I put on the Wald Giant Delivery Basket. This combined with the 2.5" Hookworms meant the stock kick stand had no chance. It was already way long. I hesitated to bend or cut because of resale for the bike. I bought this fancy height adjustable double flipper center mount. It is on its shortest setting. It works fine. I don't think it would clear the standard tires, but since I don't have them I can't know for sure. I had to angle it a bit (less than 5 degrees I would guess) to get it to match lines with the chain stays. I actually wish that it folded a leg to both sides, so I could deploy it from left or right side of bike like a traditional double or U stand. Ground clearance isn't an issue.

Used a bunch of washers to space up the bolt of the new kickstand, the top plate it came with wasn't wide enough to cross the chainstays, and I didn't happen to have any matching pieces of iron around. I doubt it will bust out the welds on the center mount anytime soon. Mostly stable with the giant basket as long as I'm careful. It would be very stable on a bike with no heavy front rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNLXML4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81wL4zjaOOL._SL1500_.jpg

91c55hASWHL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

it works. It was actually on it's 'tallest' setting out of the box, not shortest like I said originally. A couple weeks ago I backed it if off to about half way. I think I should go up one more notch, but it's close enough to correct that I haven't bothered. It doesn't rattle and seems reasonably stable. For some reason I always find myself on the wrong side of the bike when I want to put it down. You can put is up from either side, but have to be on left to put it down (obvious I know, but its my biggest gripe).

I hate to report that the kickstand I have linked again is unsuitable. For a few weeks it hasn't been working (ie, not stabilizing the bike), I thought maybe I needed to lengthen the legs more. Nope. The little cross brace by the bottom bracket had torn 3/4 of the welds on both sides, and was just flexing whenever the kickstand was deployed.

I've taken it off and reinstalled the original tail kickstand.

• Like 1

That's something I was considering as I like center stands better than side stands on my motorcycles. With the ever increasing weight, with the larger capacity batteries and loaded panniers, I'd prefer the cg centered, not leaning to the left side. <[:~(

Edited by Tabletteer

That's a shame @Grinchy, thanks for sharing!

I'm still using the stock one on both, I had to bend them so the bike would lean enough, but they do the trick. Which is funny because when I was a teen, first thing you did was remove the reflectors and kickstand because kickstands were for losers.

We'd lay our bikes down on the ground, or in the case of our BMX bikes, we'd flip them over so they rested on the bars/seat.

I'd never lay my eBikes down or flip them over, with the exception of flipping them over onto towels and pillows while working on them.

I need to bend the THIN stock stand a tad more, it has fallen over in light wind several times since I got it. The fatty doens't fall easily, weighs too much. Well except when I'm riding it and try to get up onto the sidewalk :D

I was moving my Stella (scooter) the other day in the garage and had to plop it down off its dual sided load bearing kickstand and thought about that and the Sondors and if it would be a good fit. I try to avoid adding things that are unnecessary, but with the fatty I went nuts. Ironically, the kickstand stayed stock, just bend it some.

here is the latest link to the kickstand that works (from Andi's post above):

https://goo.gl/UFRXaX

I had to buy one of these as my 'bending' went a bit too far and I couldn't get it back the way I wanted.  A cheap $5 reset.  I actually bought one on Ali but for many EBay is as good or better.

These things are advertised as adjustable but I have yet to see any rotation of the collar do anything useful.

the kickstand on my fat was not solid. I have a few child bikes which inevitably needed a new kickstand. These were always solid and I cut with a hacksaw. The fat kickstand was a pipe. I started to hacksaw and realized it could just use a pipe cutter. Much easier with a pipe cutter.