Ralf Honsberg

Fold x : can a brake lever cut off switch be repaired.

On my fold x I suspect a faulty left brake lever cut off switch. Intermittently the pedal support stops. I first thought it’s the controller, and ordered a new one (did not arrive yet). But now I think it’s cut off switch. On today’s tour I recognized that when pedal assist failed, I could pull the left break back very briefly and let it flip back. Doing that 2-3 times always restored pedal assist. 
Question: can this switch be repaired? I saw that there are 2 screws to open that part of the break....

Make sure the magnet disc on the bottom bracket spindle is making contact with the pickup thru-out it’s rotation. That’s the most common cause of intermittent power delivery.  In general, the switches inside the levers are not repairable or replaceable. Make sure your brake cable to the caliper is not binding because that can cause a cut off activation during handlebar usage. Usually the switch will only be damaged because of damage to the lever, in a fall or accident . If it is the switch, you’ll require a replacement lever, I believe L & R are identical. 

LEMMENO

A28EDD3E-259F-49C2-AF12-23DE78C41A44.jpeg.6cf6239f64b9fdc300ac2e7c611f7f9c.jpeg

REDDY

Hi. Thnx for the info. The Magnet disk and distance to the sensor is ok. Short Q: The switches are these just contact closures? Can you briefly explain what you mean by ‚Make sure your brake cable to the caliper is not binding‘ ? The problem is that Sondors does not offer right now the lever for the Fold X (2018), and my last oder at Bolton has still not arrived in Germany - after 4 weeks....

The circuit for the brake cut off is NO, normally open, so if the switch is not Completely Open, If the brake cable (not the electric wire) is binding somewhere in its length, it might not allow the switch to deactivate or open. 
Yes all shipping, not just international, is quite slow with many steps in the delivery chain. I’ve been also waiting on items for over a month and local brick and mortar retailers, like bicycle shops have run out of many standard items like Tire Sealant and Chain Lube.  The Pandemic is wrecking havoc world wide and not just human health and life. 
Intermittent application of motor power (pedal assist) does not supply enough of a definition of the symptom you are experiencing. I’d suspect that if it was a brake lever switch that some manipulation of the lever in question would then return power. Have you tried adjusting the brake pads?
If the disruption is only during part of the pedal stroke or rotation ... or if the disruption is intermittent during application of ONLY the throttle, IE: application with out pedaling, that would certainly change the diagnosis. Can you be more explicit in your ec=xplanation?

its also possible, especially if you’ve been changing settings in the LCD setup.that it could be responsible.
‘I’ll assume that you’ve isolated the brake lever switch as being the offending hardware though. 
.51A52D33-8870-471C-A6C4-507D90641B6F.jpeg.a5504fabdc5aa72ab0d4730c2bd75fe1.jpeg

REDDY

Hi. Here some more infos to the symptoms: when i ride the bike, the motor stops the pedal support intermittently, sometime for some seconds sometimes for minutes or longer. On the display you can see that even though I have switched to level 4 , the bars indicating the support do not show up at all - like no support. You also can  not hear the sound of the motor. I already disconnected the cable with the green plug an connected the ‚dongle‘ , but this did not change anything. I had the impression, that pedal support came back after briefly using the left break several times. But it might be just by accident. It seems that the support stops when i shortly stop pedaling and then start again. Hope this makes it more clear.

That is more good info and the power level indicator should not show any value it the motor is not powering the bike. Does just using the throttle restore power?
The first thing you should do when it quits is power off then on at the battery and if it restarts or restores power that should eliminate a brake lever switch. But would probably indicate it’s the controller. 
LEMMENO

F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg
             REDDY

This is what I also thought. So I ordered the part with the help of Sondors support. But Sondors seems to have a problem with their little ‚warehouse‘ in Europe. They 2x delivered the wrong Fold X Controller. I got the newer one for models starting from Jan 2019 (short cables and different connector to the break levers). I have a summer 2018 model..... now they ordered it again from the US, but I guess the Summer is over before I get this one 😞

many thnx for your help by the way ....

059A9E7B-BE38-4777-B588-451F72F3AF5D.jpeg