Dave Taube

REAR BAGS AND CARRIER FOR MSX

Does anyone know which aftermarket carriers and bags fit a Sondors MSX?  I'm not sure if I want a standard top-mounted bag or panniers.  Probably a removable top-mounted bag.  THANKS!

The three most popular rear racks, reported on this forum by users, are from Axiom, Topeka and Ibera, but there are many, many more to consider. You should start your review based on your intended use. And then review the panniers offered by each manufacture that you like,  that are easily mounted to that manufactures rack. 
The only suggestion I can offer is don't consider the Axiom. It’s cantilever lower mount design, is an effort to utilize an existing rack designed for rim brake bikes, with the addition of a stand off and an extra cantilever brackets to accommodate disc brakes, that do not transfer the load directly to the bikes dropouts or seat stays. I’ve got one. It’s been problematic for heavy loads and I’ve had to replace the blind nuts that the cantilever brackets mount too a few times and fabricate doublers for the cantilever brackets. 
 I also have a Ibera, on another bike, that does mount directly to the seat stays. But I’m not recommending it either because the hard shell panniers on that, light weight bike,  are not designed to carry heavy loads and I can’t say either way, if it will or won’t. But it’s Damn Skippy Better, than the Axiom. 
‘I’m not a fan of top trunks because they raise the center of gravity and are a detriment to good handling and getting on and off your Tall MSX, but mostly on dismounting.  I can easily get my right leg to step over the top tube, getting on my bikes but I have to swing my leg over the saddle and rack to dismount.  
Of course you can just fall over and crawl out from under it. 
F041D007-0236-48C6-9F4A-4C6484D1B7C2.jpeg.00e012adf5e04768a1ab0db40e872129.jpeg

REDDY

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your response.  I did some preliminary research before I posted last week and I like the Ibera top mount bag.  I didn't consider that it might be tough to swing my leg over the bag when getting on and off the bike.  Good point.  

My main question is about the rack, rather than the bag.  I would like to find a rack that fits the bike and then I'll consider whether I want a top mount bag or panniers.  Do most or all standard racks fit onto the bike or do I have to go with the Sondors rack (and bag)?

Thanks again.  

All of those I mention will fit. 
But as always ... contact the supplier to verify usage or fit before you press the Buy Button. 
Especially when ordering eBike specific hardware.

image.jpeg.2a41884b4af762169c54d564583c28c6.jpeg

REDDY 

• Like 1

Consider where your going to carry your tools to change a flat. It’s takes 3 combination wrenches to change mine because front and rear axel nuts are 15mm or 17mm and the derailleur has its own nut. Then you’ll need to carry an extra tube, patch kit, nitrite gloves, a microfiber cloth, a multi tool and of course a Luna ePump. ))
4785D6E6-EF83-4370-9C1F-DCB5D1ADE7F9.thumb.jpeg.07a49428e5933739e70ae8364143338f.jpeg

That’s about all for flat repair. I carry a $1.99 Lowe’s plastic drop cloth that will cover my bike and myself in case of a heavy downpour rain event. How bout 4 bungees of 2 different lengths, or cargo straps, to strap large items to your rack when necessary? 

image.thumb.jpeg.e9e09e087f7f31c3335847996695f554.jpeg

I carry my  12.9" iPad Pro and my iPhone along with charging cables and a charger for each because my iPhone is lightning and iPad is USB-C. I carry a 4 cell - 18650 Li ion battery bank to backup both devices and power my headlight. I prefer to power supplemental devices on separate power supplies than off my main battery. My tail light has a single 18650 cell.  Something I learned from aviation. 
You’ll discover all kinda of stuff of your own preferences, needs and wants once you start outfitting. 

51A52D33-8870-471C-A6C4-507D90641B6F.jpeg.a5504fabdc5aa72ab0d4730c2bd75fe1.jpeg

REDDY

• Like 1

This is my setup.  I think it maybe cheaper to get the fenders/rear rack/bag combo.  I don’t use the rear mounted  bag because it is harder for me to get on the bike. 

7893D311-7C27-468D-B30C-6CF86BEB3472.jpeg

247594E2-FF5E-4E76-8A1D-4A7AB72CCC98.jpeg

Edited by Baldurssc
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 2:11 AM, Walt.Mann said:

I'm gambling the nylon ROCKBROS AS-002-1BK will fit the Sondors rear rack. I have yet to receive either.

Any update?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Baldurssc said:

Any update?

I am still waiting on the late September delivery of the Sondors fenders and rack set.  I have received the Rockbros pannier. Very nice and big. Hopefully it will work.

I ended up going with the Ibera PakRak Quick-Release Commuter Bike Trunk Bag and Seat-Post Bicycle Carrier Rack Combo.  I bought this on Amazon for $84.99.  The rack mounted easily on my seat post (rubber shims are provided) and the bag snaps onto the rack and has a quick release tab in back.  The bag is fairly small but it holds more than I thought it would hold.  It has pockets all over the outside for more storage room.  A loop on the back is perfect for my flashing light.  My large U-lock fits perfectly in the bottom of the bag and I put my groceries or whatever on top of the lock.  Getting on the bike can be a little tricky since I have to swing my leg over the seat and the bag.  Getting off is a little trickier since if you don't remember that the bag is on the back, your leg will hit it and you might knock your bike over.  I'm 64 and 5'10".  If I can do it, so can you :).

I appreciate everyone's input.  Keep on bikin'!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YSN5W6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title

IMG_5027.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve learned that it’s easy to just step over the top tube with my right leg getting on. But that doesn’t work to dismount, so swinging over to the rear it tough with anything of height behind the saddle. Consider it a yoga move. 
image.jpeg.7f96e7fbd55def48cd8257f788963c9e.jpeg
   REDDY

• Like 1