RoyalTS

Sondors eBike - LCD Display - Setup Instructions

Andi

Please note this information applies to the SONDORS/Aftermarket KT-LCD3 Displays. Delivered before Dec. 2017! 

New LCD Display: https://sondorsforum.com/topic/2051-2018-sondors-ebike-kd51c-lcd-setup-manual/

Message added by Andi

On 8/14/2016 at 11:21 AM, elkoflyer said:

Ok Bandit 

You got me to get to it and try it.   Yes it works, tried it out on test ride.  Didn't seem to work at lower than

12mph but will play with that more.  Instructions say 7kph which =4 or 5 mph.   I rarely use the thumb throttle, instead

when I kneed more power I just increase the peddle assist to 3 or 4 or whatever is needed and back it down  right away as I level out from hill. 

Also changed C8 for motor temp but didn't work.

Read full manual and says need temp sensor in motor for that to work. So don't need

to change that.  My pre programed LCD from Luna Cycle has C1 set to 1 not 2 as mentioned above and I think

it should be 1 for an 8 magnet sensor.   Good luck and enjoy the ride...

Just re-read the OP - I agree C1 should be set to '1' instead of '2' if its a 8 magnet sensor. Have you tried to change it and see if it lowers the cruise speed?

Edited by BanditX2
brain death...
  • Like 1

What settings are retained when powered off? I have 2 Sondors bikes: one with the display and one without. Would I be able to program the controller of the one without the display by temporarily connecting my only display to it?

Are the settings retained (starting with everything on):

1. When the display is powered off?

2. When the battery is powered off?

3. When the display is removed?

4. When the battery is removed?

You can only use the Sondors LCD with the Stock Sondors 15amp Controller. But for the price of a Sondors LCD, specific to the particular model Sondors bike, you can purchase a hot rod 20 or 25 amp controller and LCD, when used together, will work with any Sondors, for about that 99$ Sondors LCD price.

LCD function is universal across all LCDs.

Here is one of the suppliers Sondors page. The LCD & 20 amp controller are 105$. They state their products advantages over stock or without the LCD (stuck in low gear). 

https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/

Wendy's Site

https://www.velomobileshop.com/products/sondors-lcd-screen-free-shipping?variant=19508571331

I'm aware the aftermarket LCDs will not work with Sondors controllers, but I just want to confirm these setting modes and things like cruise control are available with the Sonders-branded controller.

(It helps weigh my purchase decision, because the larger 12.8 AH capacity of the Custom bikes is very attractive; upgrading the 8.8 AH battery of a LCD-less special bike would require a several hundred dollar purchase of a new battery.)

All functions are the same regardless of which controller and LCD you have as long as the two components are compatible with each other. The only difference between the genetic and Sondors branded components are the Sondors Branded LCD, has "Sondors" printed on the LCD case and a proprietary communication protocol so it's only compatable with the Sondors controller. 

On 26.1.2017 at 7:26 PM, Downbeat said:

What settings are retained when powered off? I have 2 Sondors bikes: one with the display and one without. Would I be able to program the controller of the one without the display by temporarily connecting my only display to it?

Are the settings retained (starting with everything on):

1. When the display is powered off?

2. When the battery is powered off?

3. When the display is removed?

4. When the battery is removed?

@Downbeat As far as I know, the programming is done on the LCD and not the controller. Corollary, if you detach the LCD from the controller, the controller will be back to its default settings.

• Like 1

Then @3D-vice is there a separate menu, or device, where the controller can be manipulated and locked, with its root Parameters intact?  Like cmos on a computer chip?  

Edited by Tabletteer

@Tabletteer There's no separate menu, nope. I have checked the manual again, just to make sure. IF there is a hidden advanced programming feature, it is documented nowhere. It would be interesting to look at the inbuilt software with a PC, but I have no clue how to attach the LCD to a PC...

Are the settings described in the first post also recommend for the THIN model?  Thanks in advance!  I just received my lcd and controller from luna cycle today.

Edited by purpleicing

@purpleicing - Yep, the settings are all the same for both units, fat and thin, making it a simple process. There are obviously some settings you can play with to get things to your liking, but out of the box it should all work properly. Enjoy! I think the LCD is the must have accessory for the Sondors for sure!

On 30.3.2017 at 9:58 AM, VladChirca said:

Hello, i have mounted my LCD from Sondors and don't show my Battery level, also i have set up all steps and when i put on assist 0, motor works... it"s normal?

What are your P4 and C4 parameter setting on your LCD?

1 hour ago, VladChirca said:

p4 = 0  and c4= 0

Hm... ok the parameters are set for using the thumb throttle without pedaling. However, at PAS 0 the motor should not push. Since you mentioned that the LCD does not show the battery charge level, I assume that there might be a connection problem. Have you tried to unplug and re-plug all connectors? We had several members here on the forum having similar issues (like the LCD not working propperly).

As part as a general trouble shooting routine check the alignment of the PAS magnet wheel and sensor. There has also been a rash of recent bad controllers reported and replaced by Sondors. 

Edited by Tabletteer

My pedal assist at 1 is too powerful but i want to keep the full throttle speed with no pedaling, i love it too much.

So i assume playing with c1 Power Assist Sensor settings (from 8 to 12) is the solution to this ? Or changing wheel diameter(i have 28)  ?

C1 sets the sensitivity of PAS engagement.  Setting it at 01 brings it on at about 1/4 turn.  At 02, more rotation is needed.  At 00 it fires up almost instantly.

C5 affects the wattage that goes to the motor.  Not the voltage but the wattage.  So you will keep your maximum speed but torque will be diminished (and range increased by some degree).

While you might use the above two settings to tweak your PAS, where you are likely to get the most results is with C14.  That sets PAS strength

I believe the standard C14 setting is 2.  Turn it down to 1.  

If you think PAS1 is too strong there may not be much you can do since you already think the minimum is a lot.  Nonetheless, give the above a try.

• Like 1

On 25/2/2016 at 7:17 PM, alienmeatsack said:

@3D-vice - Sweet! Did you get an upgraded controller? If not, the install is super simple. And I found that most all of the settings in the unit were alreayd correct. I only had to change the PAS level to 1 and change the top speed. It was defaulted to something like 72KPH/44.4MPH lol.

Make sure to mount it with the correct end up. I mounted mine upside down oops. Easy to fix but I felt stupid when I turned it on and it was upside down.

I think it makes riding so much more fun, as a nerd who likes stats and data. :D Plus at night, you can have it light up which is awesome :D

I changed the maximum speed in the display, but the engine does not exceed 25 km / h, it is as if it had a stop put and could not be changed.
I do not know if this is so, or if I have to do something else, if you could tell me or I would be very grateful.

Assuming you correctly lifted the speed limiter, the only other explanation would be you have maxed out the capability of your bike.  But 25 kph might be a little low.  Maybe.  I am about 106 kg and with my 36v battery and 20a Luna aftermarket controller I can reach 30 to 32 kph.  So if you have the stock 15a controller, maybe thats your upper limit?

Its all about weight on the bike.  Another factor would be if you have a rack and its loaded with tools etc.  that stuff adds up.

edit:  Also tire pressure is a limiting factor.  If you have aired down the tires, air them back up to about 1.4 bars and re-test.  And spin your wheels.  Do they spin freely and take a long time to stop if spun by hand while up in the air?  If not you may need to loosen up the axles as many bikes come from the factory with their axles too tight on the bearings.  Youtube videos show the problem and how to fix.  Lastly make sure the brakes are not rubbing.

Edited by MattRobertson

- the wheels in the air turn well, and the brakes are loose, do not rub.
- the problem is that when it reaches 25 km / h it is noticed that the engine stops, so it does not increase the speed, and when it slows down at 20 km / h it is noticed that the engine is working again, raising the speed Until the 25 km / h, and it comes back to stop, the problem is not that the motor does not have possibility to reach more speed, is that the motor is limited to that speed by some subject of security or configuration, and I do not know how to eliminate This cap, or if it is possible to do so.

On 7/26/2017 at 5:24 AM, cortavientos said:

- the wheels in the air turn well, and the brakes are loose, do not rub.
- the problem is that when it reaches 25 km / h it is noticed that the engine stops, so it does not increase the speed, and when it slows down at 20 km / h it is noticed that the engine is working again, raising the speed Until the 25 km / h, and it comes back to stop, the problem is not that the motor does not have possibility to reach more speed, is that the motor is limited to that speed by some subject of security or configuration, and I do not know how to eliminate This cap, or if it is possible to do so.

Out of curiosity, when you hit the limit how does the bike react? Mine would pulse. It would hit the max, (21mph or there abouts) then shut off, drop the speed then turn on go back to same top and repeat. Similar to a PWM on a motor but slowed so you feel the effect. Sort of a sine wave of speed at top. I think when you hit the max of the controller (not sure if the motor has any input on this) that is what happens and if you have it lower then that, it just runs at the top speed you set smoothly. I am not 100% on this as I havent tested it in a while. I just remember hating topping it out because it would go from 22mph to 18 or so and back up over and over and that became annoying. I actually found it more comfortable to ride with PAS way up and just very casually pedal vs the throttle to keep the pulsing to a minimum.

Matt, you have any input on this? I'm considering doing a few tests on the thin with lowering and raising the top speed to see how it reacts. I do agree, if its this pulse style power he may have hit the limit of the stock controller and its killing the motor briefly to slow it instead of just regulating the power evenly. 

Iknow the motor is not the problem, it can do much higher with the right battery and controller. I seem to remember someone saying they got 30 or so MPH out of it. And 25KPH is only about 15MPH so its well under the motors limits. So, based on this, I'm guessing the controller is the limit for you Cortavientos.