This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads
RoyalTS

Sondors eBike - LCD Display - Setup Instructions

Here you can find the right settings for your Sondors eBike generic LCD!

KT LCD3 settings for Sondors

buy a LCD here: klick

Max. Speed: leave it, or set it to 25 km/h
Wheel Diameter: 29 for 4.9" tires, 28 for 4.0"
Metric and Imperial Units: your choice:)
P1 = 100 (Motor Characteristic Parameter Setting Mode, 1 - 255)
P2 = 6 (Wheel Speed Pulse Signal Setting Mode, 0 - 6)
P3 = 1 (Power Assist Control Mode, 0 or 1)
P4 = 0 (Handlebar Startup Mode, 0 or 1)
P5 = 12 (Power Monitoring Mode, 0 - 40)

C1 = 01 (Power Assist Sensor and Parameter Select Mode, 00 - 07)
C2 = 0 (Motor Phase Classification Coding Mode, 0 - 7, 0:sin wave)
C3 = 8 (Power Assist Ratio Gear Initialization Mode, 0 - 8 ) (C3=6 WARNING! Bike starts running forward on it’s own at power up!)
C4 = 0 (Handlebar Function Setting Mode, 0 - 4)
C5 = 10 (Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Mode, 00 - 10)
C6 = 3 (Backlight Brightness Adjustment Mode, 1 - 5)
C7 = 1 (Cruise Function Setting Mode, 0 or 1)
C8 = 1 (Motor Operating Temperature Display Mode, 0 or 1)
C9 = 0 (Startup Password Setting Mode, 0 or 1)
C10 = n (Automatically Restore Default Setting Mode, n or y)
C11 = 0 (Attribute Selection Mode, 0 - 2)
C12 = 4 (Controller Minimum Voltage Adjustment Mode, 0 - 7)
C13 = 0 (Brake energy recovery - recuperation - only works with the corresponding controller, 0 - 5)
C14 = 2 (Coordination of support levels, 1 - 3, 2 = standard)
(description of the C parameters follows)

Step by step / Details

What you should now to set up your KT LCD3 display:

General Settings:
Under power off status, hold the „power“ button long, the meter is turned on. Within 5 seconds after boot-up, hold „up“ and „down“ simultaneously for about 2 seconds. Now you are in the settings menu.
(between each setting parameter press „power“ to save and to get to the next parameter)

1. Max. Speed: leave it
    For Europe: set it to 25 km/h to be on the legal side.
  2. Wheel Diameter:
    set it to what it is: 29 inches
  3. Metric and Imperial Units:
    your choice

After finishing metric/imperial unit settings, the speed and mileage units stop flashing. Within one minute after stoppong flashing, hold „up“ and „down“ simultaneously for about 2 seconds to enter the P parameter settings environment.

Need values for our motor are (http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/rm-g06350d.html):

• Cadence (Pulses/Cycle) 6/1
  • Reduction Ratio 1:5
  • Magnet Poles 20

P1 Motor Characteristic Parameter Setting Mode

P1 is motor characteristic parameter setting mode. P1 = motor gear reduction ratio x number of rotor magnet pieces, just rounding if there’s any decimal.
Sondors: Ratio 5 x 20 Magnet Poles = 100 = P1

P2 Wheel Speed Pulse Signal Setting Mode
P2 is wheel speed pulse signal setting mode. If wheel generated 1 pulse signal by a revolution, P2 should be set as1. If wheel generated 6 pulse signals by a revolution, P2 should be set as 6. If users didn’t configure the pulse signal system, and then P2 parameter setting can be 0. The setting range of P2 should be between 0-6.
0 : motor hall sensor only (speed is only shown while motor is working)
1-6: Pulses per Cycle
Sondors: Cadence (Pulses/Cycle) 6/1 = 6 = P2

P3 Power Assist Control Mode
P3 is for power assist control mode, when P3 parameter setting is1, power assist control mode is gear 5 of “imitation torque control” mode, when P3 parameter setting is 0, power assist control mode is gear 5 of “speed control” mode. P3 parameter needs to be determined according to the distributed function of the controller, its setting range is 0 or 1
Sondors: P3 = 1

P4 Handlebar Startup Mode
P4 is handlebar startup mode. When P4 setting is 1, indicating the handlebar is under
“non-zero startup” mode, namely, the handlebar can be effective only after startup the
foot power assist. When P4 setting is 0, indicating the handlebar is under “zero startup”
mode, the motor can be startup by the handlebar directly. P4 setting range is 0 or 1
Sondors: P4 = 0

P5 Power Monitoring Mode
P5 is power monitoring mode, when P5 setting is 0, the power monitoring is the “real-time voltage” mode. Namely, it is the method to determine the battery capacity based on real-time battery voltage. When P5 equals to a specified parameter, the power monitoring is the “smart power” mode (this parameter is determined by the battery characteristics, ordinary 24V lithium is generally is 4-11, 36V lithium is between 5_15). P5 setting ranges from 0-40.
E.g.:
9 = 24 V
12 = 36 V
15 = 48 V
Sondors: 36 V -> P5 = 12

To exit the programming mode just hold „power“ some seconds.

After finishing P parameter settings, the P5 parameter stops flashing. Within 1 minute after stopping flashing, hold “up” and “down” for about 2 seconds to enter the C parameter setting environment.

C1 Power Assist Sensor and Parameter Select Mode
C1 is power assist sensor and parameter select mode.

C1 Quantum power assist sensors or similar products
00 5 magnet sensor
01 8 magnet sensor
02 10 magnet sensor
03 12 magnet sensor
Power assist sensors from other manufacturers

Sondors: C1 = 02

C2 Motor Phase Classification Coding Mode
C2 is motor phase classification coding mode. It is served as identification parameter of different phases of the motor when using sine wave drive and the default value is 0.
When C2 setting is 0, indicating that the used Quantum motor phase is an ordinary one.
When the setting is a certain value, indicating a particular motor phase is used. C2 setting range is 0-7.
Sondors: C2 = 0

C3 Power Assist Ratio Gear Initialization Mode
C3 is initialization mode of power assist ratio gear. The setting range is 0-8 (gear).
When C3 setting is 0, the meter is switched on, and the power assist ratio is at gear 0. When the setting is 1, the meter is powered on and the power assist ratio is at gear 1, and so on.
Sondors: C3 = 8

C4 Handlebar Function Setting Mode

C5 Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Mode

C6 Backlight Brightness Adjustment Mode

C7 Cruise Function Setting Mode

• Activate the Cruise Mode: 

C8 Motor Operating Temperature Display Mode

C9 Startup Password Setting Mode

C10 Automatically Restore Default Setting Mode

C11 Attribute Selection Mode

C12 Controller Minimum Voltage Adjustment Mode

C13 Brake energy recovery - recuperation - only works with the corresponding controller

C14 Coordination of support levels
(C Parameters are following some time)

Want a complete manual? (GENERAL Manual - not special for Sondors) Here you go: KT-LCD3 General Manual.pdf (to view/download you have to be logged in)

• Like 5

This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads

@RoyalTS those are great Info I have a big problem accidentally set C9 power on password now can’t get back to fix or powerful the bike to ride. Even unplugged the LCD and still won’t power up. Can you or anyone help me fix this Please. Thanks

@eddihu

You have a serious problem: Here’s an excerpt from the user manual of the KT LCD3 display:

Please note: If you have forgotten your password, the only way to reset it is to use the >>> copy from display to display <<< operation (see parameter copy).

In order to copy parameters from one display to another, both displays need to be wired using an adapter which allows you to connect and power both displays simultaneously. The user manual provides a wiring diagram how to do this.

@RoyalTS - Thanks for this, it was quite helpful when setting up my LCD last night! I found that much of the configuration was already on the right settings minus the max speed, kil/mph and c/f info. Also knowing about the lockout from @eddihu was a good heads up to be careful in that section.

@eddihu Honestly at $55 USD to order a third party display, it might be faster and easier to just order another for yourself, do the connected copy above to fix the issue, then resell the LCD you aren't using to someone else who wants one asap and get your money back. If I was in your area, I'd meet up with you to connect them up and help fix. Either way you go, hope you get it resolved!

Based on the wording in the config for this display, am I correct in assuming that the controller is using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to rotate the motor vs a steady stream of voltage to the motor? I know this is pretty standard for most electric motors, and to the avg person they'd never know it was not being propelled by a continuous stream of power.

If so, I wonder if there's any optimization we could do in the configuration to reduce the number of pulses just a little to gain some battery life and mileage without creating any issues with the motor or any noticeable "pulse" feel vs a steady smooth ride.

Sort of like when you hit the limited and the bike surges forward, then slows, then surges, then slows. Which is quite noticeable.

Id like to eak out a little more mileage at the cost of top end, since I'm not really interested in going past 20 MPH anyway. Thought this could be a good way to do so. Just don't want to burn out the motor and brushes or controller by fiddling.

@3D-vice - Sweet! Did you get an upgraded controller? If not, the install is super simple. And I found that most all of the settings in the unit were alreayd correct. I only had to change the PAS level to 1 and change the top speed. It was defaulted to something like 72KPH/44.4MPH lol.

Make sure to mount it with the correct end up. I mounted mine upside down oops. Easy to fix but I felt stupid when I turned it on and it was upside down.

I think it makes riding so much more fun, as a nerd who likes stats and data. :D Plus at night, you can have it light up which is awesome :D

@3D-vice - Let me look at the info... Parameter P3 = Power Assist Mode. So you want P3 = 1. There's also a C3 parameter that is also relevant to the Sondors, which should be C3 = 8 I believe.

When you power the unit on, your PAS level itself will be at 0 the first time, or if you reset the trip meter. So don't panic when you hit the throttle or pedal and nothing happens. Just tap the UP arrow to take it to PAS level 1 and then you are able to throttle and/or pedal with assist. I do this everytime I reset my trip meter after a ride and forget the next time and it's at 0 again and I panic. :D

• To cycle through the three displays 1/2/3, press Power.
  • Display 1 is Battery indicator, Time, PAS level, Speed, Trip Distance, Watts being sent to the motor, outside temperature, headlight/brake status.
  • Display 2 is Odometer, Total Trip Time, average speed and motor temperature.
  • Display 3 is Voltage of battery, and max speed reached.
  • UP arrow increases PAS level gear 0/1-5, DOWN arrow reduces it. When held, UP turns on the backlight (and headlamp if installed), when held DOWN puts it into Cruise mode.
  • To reset Trip and Time (but not ODO) from the main Display 1, press and hold UP and DOWN then when it's blinking press Power and hold until it clears.

On 2/25/2016 at 2:26 PM, alienmeatsack said:
  • To reset Trip and Time (but not ODO) from the main Display 1, press and hold UP and DOWN then when it's blinking press Power and hold until it clears.

To clarify, power up the display and wait about 5 seconds, then press and hold UP and DOWN for about 2 seconds, then press POWER and hold it briefly to clear the trip and time for the ride or previous ride. This one is kind of tricky since the same button presses with a little bit different timing puts you into parameter edit mode. If you don't get it right, exiting editing, shut down the display, wait a minute then power it back up and follow the above.

I'd really like to see a single dedicated button for this feature since it's something I personally use every single ride and I have yet to get it right on the first try.

Here's a nice video to show the walkthrough of the display configuration. Not on a Sondors, but useful for us too.

Here's a link to the PDF manual on a few sites:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzOr1Lix29NwOWhRZGdCV0o3amM/edit

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tc5ury1tj4gka8i/kt-lcd3.pdf?dl=0 (My Dropbox)

And on Microbike:

http://www.microbike.it/Manuali/LCD3_standard.pdf

My link will work until Dropbox goes out of business - the rest I can only say they work currently.

Edited by alienmeatsack
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2016 at 5:49 PM, 3D-vice said:

Yay! Got my K3 LCD today. Now let's put some computer power to the bike. :)

SondorsOwnersForum_LCD.jpg

hi 3D-vice, so is the attached cable from the LCD really not long enough to reach the controller? Did you have to buy an extension as well? Does the Lunacycle carry extensions for the LCD, because I couldn't find it here. 

actually i'm a total newbie with ebike. I just ordered my first ever ebike, sondors fatbike, and am waiting for the July delivery now. So right now, I haven't decided whether I'm gonna go for the sondors LCD or an aftermarket one. I would appreciate your reply and any helpful advices. Thanks, 

Hi @tracer

welcome to the Sondors Owner Forum - my name is Andi and I am operating this Forum.
The cable of Lunas LCD is long enough to connect it with the controller. 
But - you wrote that you just ordered your bike what means, Lunas LCD is not compatible unless you change your controller out to an aftermarket one. 

So if you want an aftermarket LCD you need to buy also a new Controller.
LCD(same as Luna): http://www.velomobileshop.com/collections/ebike-accessories/products/kt3-lcd-screen-free-shipping?variant=10503183299

Controller: http://www.velomobileshop.com/collections/ebike-accessories/products/36v-48v-20a-motor-controller-free-shipping?variant=18009240387 (gives you also more power(wattage))

hi Andi, thanks a lot for the reply. i've checked here and there a little. i could find three different vendors for the lcd - luna, velomobie, and aliexpress. which one would you recommend? and why? 

you said the aftermarket controller give more power (700?). it looks like that's the main reason people upgrade the controllers. then i wonder with the power taken by the aftermarket controller, does it drain the power from the battery quicker so the rage becomes shorter with the same battery???

i appreciate your help!!! 

5 hours ago, Andi said:

The cable of Lunas LCD is long enough to connect it with the controller.

@tracer ^ what he said. ;) I bought the extension cable just in case, but didn't need it.

I am really happy with the customer support from AliExpress. When I bought my LCD back then, they double-checked with me to make sure I bought the right LCD. I dunno if the also offer LCD for the other Sondors bikes.

The Sondors LCD is quite expensive, but there you can be sure to get the right LCD for your bike.

Sonce I do not have an upgraded controller, I cannot give you details about the power output and drain. Sorry.

1 hour ago, cranescrest said:

Can anyone please explain what the CRUISE function is? Thanks!

Hey @cranescrest, welcome to the forum.

Simple: The Cruise function of your bike is similar to the Cruise Control of a car. When you ride your bike at a certain speed (needs to be greater than 7 km/h), you can activate the Cruise Control (by pushing and holding the DOWN button) and the bike will automatically hold that speed without the need to peddle or push the throttle. The Cruise mode deactivates automatically if you use the brakes or press any another button.

HI all.

I just tried the cruise function on my luna lcd and it didn't work?   Wounder if the peramiters are set wrong?

But thanks to this thread I lit up screen and now know how to lite up headlight when I get one.  I ordered a

headlight cable from velomobileshop and light on ebay

Ok    I  serched more here and just found info     parameter C7     will play with that  

Thanks

On 8/10/2016 at 6:36 PM, elkoflyer said:

HI all.

I just tried the cruise function on my luna lcd and it didn't work?   Wounder if the peramiters are set wrong?

But thanks to this thread I lit up screen and now know how to lite up headlight when I get one.  I ordered a

headlight cable from velomobileshop and light on ebay

Ok    I  serched more here and just found info     parameter C7     will play with that  

Thanks

Let us know how it works. Wanting to know the same thing as I would love to have cruise control function. I think it would actually save me battery juice!

Ok Bandit 

You got me to get to it and try it.   Yes it works, tried it out on test ride.  Didn't seem to work at lower than

12mph but will play with that more.  Instructions say 7kph which =4 or 5 mph.   I rarely use the thumb throttle, instead

when I kneed more power I just increase the peddle assist to 3 or 4 or whatever is needed and back it down  right away as I level out from hill. 

Also changed C8 for motor temp but didn't work.

Read full manual and says need temp sensor in motor for that to work. So don't need

to change that.  My pre programed LCD from Luna Cycle has C1 set to 1 not 2 as mentioned above and I think

it should be 1 for an 8 magnet sensor.   Good luck and enjoy the ride...

• Like 1