Dennis

color display with USB port

I bought a Sondors upgrade color LCD display (with the 25 amp controller) some time ago when they were first offered at a discounted price.

I noticed it has a USB port on the right side.

I bought the Securitylng USB powered LED light off Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YGK2F1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I could plug it in the USB port and not have to worry about recharging a light every few days; this way as long as the battery had power the light would have power. But I find the Securitylng light doesn't work with the Sondors LCD display USB port. I only get a little flash of light from it, and it doesn't work. When I try it in my computer's USB port, it works great. I am thinking the Sondors color display USB output port doesn't have enough power to make the light work.

Any thoughts? Am I correct? Has anyone tried it? Is the USB port only good for charging cell phones?

Seems like a great solution if it would work, but as it is I am sending it back.

Your first step is to measure the output of the USB port with your multimeter, which is a mandatory device for every ebike owner, from the LCD when it’s powered on.  You might also activate the light function with the control button sequence for your LCD. On both mine, it’s holding the up arrow for a few seconds. That turns on the backlight for the LCD and sends current to the extra red Higo connector cable, for some Controllers and it turns that function on for comparable lights; both headlights and tail lights. It’s probably a long shot that it controls the USB port out put but it’s worth a try. The output voltage should read 5V which is common among usb outputs.  If it’s not contact Sondors.com and ask directions to file for a support request on the Sondors Owners Facebook Page. 
BTW, I use the 3 led version of that light on both my previously labeled Sondors and power one with the KT LCD 3 Display, equipped with the USB port. Works Perfectly. As not to mislead anyone else reading these posts, these lights have No Internal Batteries. 
06C8EFE8-528D-4031-8AA1-5082D3D11A46.jpeg.bdaa6f7e8ce75baceab074228d74de6d.jpeg

REDDY

Reddy, thanks for the info. I didn't have a meter, so I ended up emailing Sondors tech support. They told me that the LCD only has a 1 amp USB port and will do nothing but charge a phone. So my idea of using a USB powered light will not work, at least with Sondors' LCD screen. Too bad.

On my Sondors Original, with my non USB ported KT_LCD3,  I use a Power Bank to power that Headlight. It uses 4, 18650GA  Li Ion batteries and I recharge it with a spare Apple IPad charger because it is more powerful and recharges faster than the average cell phone charger. I’ve never run out of power using the 3 LED light like your 2 LED version and it’s never discharged below 50% capacity.  I keep the Power Bank in a top tube trunk, with a few other necessities, pocket change and multi tool.  https://tinyurl.com/Reddy-s-Powerbank    
You could use the LCD USB port to recharge a powerbank. 

CA83C657-1E4E-4A07-BABC-DE0E5EFE63C5.jpeg.2f6053365f197f867b44346c4dff9d60.jpeg
                                                REDDY

That is an idea to keep in mind. I guess it becomes a choice of whether to recharge a regular light, or use a system like yours.  I will have to put some thought and experimentation into it. thanks again.

2 follow up questions:

Do you have a power bank you recommend? I see the anker 20100 might work.

If I recharged the powerbank from the lcd usb port, could I use it to power the light at the same time?

I’ve only a couple and I’d only recommend ones that can use Li-Ion 18650 cells and I only buy  Panasonic / Sanyo NCR 18650 GA cells . 
These are premium density cells and the same cells that are in my Luna Cycle 52v  high power long range triangle battery.  The cells cost about $5 each and I can’t recommend a seller for individual cells except to say buy them in the US or Canada from a vendor with a good reputation. Buying them from China is a crap-shoot with too many counterfeit cells coming from Chinese vendors with no real recourse, that the few dollars you might save and long delivery times are not worth the gamble. The housing I use is the one listed in my  previous post and the only one for 18650 cells I’ve bought and tried. https://tinyurl.com/ReddysBatteryBankShell   The reason I’d only recommend Battery Banks using 18650 cells are they have more densely, capacity and reliability than what might be in power banks with LiFePO4 cells, which my other aux unit is (and won’t power my lights) and LiFePO4 packs don’t have the density of premium 18650 cells. The caveat to that statement is, some eBike high powered racers (and model electric units and quadcopters & drones) use LiFePO4 cell packs because they can be configured in larger numbers for extremely powerful packs, are lighter in weight, take up less space and recharge cycles are not as important as in general transportation solutions. 
Your Anker 20100 would seem to meet your needed criteria, in that it uses LG 18650 cells, (although they don’t specify which chemistry by extension identification lettering, from my cursory investigation) and it appears to be from a reputable company.   Always communicate with the sellers for your applications and needs. 
Your second question I can’t answer because I don’t have that situation in my two lighting solutions. My EWL(Sondors Custom Narrow) with KT-LCD3 w/usb port is powerful enough to power a 2 LED headlight, like yours, (does not mean the LEDs are the same though) and my EBL (highly modified Sondors Original) has no USB port and for it, I use the above Battery Bank, charge it with an extra iPad transformer. The manufacture should be able to answer that question. Many BMS boards (Battery Management Systems) do not allow charging and output at the same time. 
To condense a long post, in a sentence. The choice you mention is probably an affordable and powerful, stand alone unit that doesn’t require other components or assembly, just don't buy the usb-c unit. That’s not compatible with your displays output USB port. 
F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg 

REDDY

I decided to buy the Anker 20100 powerbank off Amazon; not terribly expensive, to run the usb powered light. I will stow the powerbank in my Rock Bros bike front frame pack, that also holds my iphone 6+. That way I spend about $80 (in including the pack bag) and get a better lighting system with way longer power than much more expensive lights. Seems like the best solution for me at this point. Though now I am working from home I don't need to commute in the dark on my Sondors--but when this virus crap is all over with it should be a sweet system for autumn.  I have low vision so I need as much bright headlight as I can get. Perhaps this way I can also get away from a bike helmet light and use a motorcycle helmet for those cold wind-chill morning commutes, 13 miles. I will experiment and see if I can charge the powerbank from the lcd usb output while running the light from the powerbank. Might be a nice setup.

Sounds right to me. I keep my power bank in a like, Top Tube Trunk. I buy them at Aliexpress, they’re cheap but delivery can take a month or more.... delivery times are never consistent and the last few items I’ve ordered were given to the airlines in a couple of days.  I buy these inexpensive riding gloves that are touchscreen capable.  Although I already have several facecovers (Balaclavas) of different weights for winter riding and a half  mask, I ordered this because it has a long front neck cover and it will come in handy over my thin Balaclava  next winter too. 
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32864972519.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5fa74c4dnaOoM0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32782635217.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5fa74c4dnaOoM0

8471CA2F-4606-4384-9B3C-919BD9CB4C57.thumb.jpeg.fa393e05b4483fad8e3393be2e03fdc0.jpeg

423B2710-E2DE-4C45-806C-9FD56935E8B0.thumb.jpeg.1f14d30d9bd2fce1d1787e42032e773d.jpeg

6B90B67C-A03E-496B-B8CB-5D734C5B66AB.thumb.jpeg.9e7ff745e7a1e1128acf41576f1a7690.jpeg

A5CDC002-A2E1-471D-8417-801CF6C7A841.jpeg.eba98376d4803381aea9c98e2703bf20.jpeg
                      REDDY

On 3/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, Dennis said:

Reddy, thanks for the info. I didn't have a meter, so I ended up emailing Sondors tech support. They told me that the LCD only has a 1 amp USB port and will do nothing but charge a phone. So my idea of using a USB powered light will not work, at least with Sondors' LCD screen. Too bad.

I have a MSX with a new version of the color LED display.  It doesn’t charge my iphone but it will charge my small power bank  and my rechargeable tail light.    Maybe it will charge a smaller mobile phone?  I don’t have a different phone to try.   Anyway I bring an extra power bank with me just in case. 

Was Sondors able to give you an explanation as to why?  I know that my iPad ‘s Apple wall charger gives me an error message of "not supported" when I try and use it to charge an older iPhone 4, that I use as GPS on a handlebar mount but my other iPhone chargers will charge it when I try charging it in the house. I guess compatibility is not universal across USB ports.

1B12C797-0A52-4B68-84C5-5C919C27CFC4.jpeg.0fc4022e6b64f07503db62fdfe7233d6.jpeg

REDDY

1 hour ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Was Sondors able to give you an explanation as to why. I know that my iPad ‘s Apple wall charger gives me an error message of not supported when I try and use it to charge an older iPhone 4, that I use as GPS on a handlebar mount but my other iPhone chargers will when I try charging it in the house. I guess compatibility is not universal across USB ports.

1B12C797-0A52-4B68-84C5-5C919C27CFC4.jpeg.0fc4022e6b64f07503db62fdfe7233d6.jpeg

REDDY

Waiting for tech to reply. I will keep you all posted.