Kenneth Lane

Step battery problem

Our new Step's battery is showing the green lite when charger is hooked up.   Took battery out of frame and the in battery charge lights show partial charge of three lites.  Battery looks OK physically.   Ideas are very welcome. 

You stated that the battery is showing a green light when the Charger is hooked up. ? 
‘Do you mean the charger is showing a green light when it’s connected to the battery, after the charger is connected to the battery and then the charger is plugged into the wall outlet?  

What do you mean less power and stamina?  Those are not statements that equate to verifiable battery voltage. 

This is the % chart for 36 Volt battery capacity. It’s pretty close to actual values. You will notice that the 36 volt battery should indicate about 42V when fully charged and that’s, about, what your charger output should be set at. What does the output voltage say on the label on your charger?  I need to know to determine it you have the correct charger for your 36 V Smart Step. How many battery capacity LEDs does you Smart Step Battery Have? ... Full capacity should indicate  one lit Red and the rest lit Green, on a fully charged battery. 

11645FBB-97CB-43F0-9E7A-89FF5E71DDC6.thumb.jpeg.7d32b28fe0aad5f538262523c50f0236.jpeg
Lemmeno.

No need to respond until you measure the voltage of your battery. That’s what I need to know to continue the trouble shooting procedure. It’s a process. 

28C2D9CE-B578-4127-BAC2-8C3252C2F97E.jpeg.87bfeff53ceffea891c43669e97ae427.jpeg

Reddy 

Is the battery switched off when you are trying to charge it? Is there a good cable connection at the batteries charging port?  With my Step, sometimes I have to wiggle the wire at the charging port to get the light on the charger to turn from green to red. The charger light will turn green just by plugging it into the wall with no bike or battery present. The light will only turn to red when a good connection is made to a battery that needs a charge. Just sayin'

Always connect the Charger to the Battery before plugging the Charger into the Wall Outlet. That’s the official Sondors specified procedure. If you have to wiggle the charger to battery wire to make a secure connection,  you have either a defective battery socket or a bad charger bullet male plug. Intermittent connections can lead to battery BMS failure. I had this happen to a very expensive  52V - 17.5 Ah rack battery (no longer available) from Luna Cycle  in 2015 when Luna Cycle supplied the wrong diameter male plug dongle for my Luna Advance 52V charger .  Replacing the BMS is not something you‘‘ll want to experience.  Contact Sondors Support on the Sondors  Owners Facebook Page, thru the link, to report this anomaly, although if you’ve not followed correct charging procedures, they may not offer any resolution 
image.thumb.jpeg.34dfdc6e1fda4cb1d584f3607c8ce96a.jpeg

E8F5185D-F993-41B8-9D16-92144C71C861.thumb.jpeg.c017503727ccef5969669b98af5b3320.jpeg

157C1072-F29A-42C3-9157-C017485FBADD.jpeg.559725d0e58d67223cf9367b9106ce66.jpeg

REDDY KILOWATT 

FORUM MODERATOR

Thanks Reddy, I do always connect the charge tail to the bike first as iI do all chargers I use on all my various machines.   We also have a Sondors XS that is not having power problems as my wife's Step.  I have been trading notes with Sondors support staff on the Step's power issues.   Have not heard back since the charger started showing full charge status when connected to the battery which is down to two bars indicated.  Hopefully someone there will have a solution.  You have been most helpful so thanks again.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:24 PM, Warehouse-guy said:

Is the battery switched off when you are trying to charge it? Is there a good cable connection at the batteries charging port?  With my Step, sometimes I have to wiggle the wire at the charging port to get the light on the charger to turn from green to red. The charger light will turn green just by plugging it into the wall with no bike or battery present. The light will only turn to red when a good connection is made to a battery that needs a charge. Just sayin'

Thanks for that information and yes the male end of the chargers "tail" is loose,  much looser than my other Sondors a SX and I will try playing with that male end to see if we have a bad connection.   

Trouble shot the problem with Sondors tech and they are sending another battery.  Ours showed odd readings when accessing the control programs.  Good deeds is my take away. 

Well the tech had me go into the diagnostics section of the controller.  Don't remember the exact readings but they started with def-various readings last of which was 00.....  Don't know of reference information about this process.  The tech asked me to go into three readings all with the "def"  showing and toward the end of this he commented "that's odd"  then saying we'll send out a new battery.  Which came today, I installed it and rode the bike a bit as it showed nearly full charge.  Bike ran as new again and when I turned it off the charger showed normal red lite and .Later showed full charge green lite.  So it was the battery that failed.  Sondors folk were very honorable and helpful.   

• Thanks 1