kealolo

Prospective buyer... so how well would the Sondors X climb a hill without pedaling?

Hi guys, I hope I'm not posting to the wrong area.

I've been tempted to get an ebike for some time... well actually I bought a broken old 24v lead-acid bike and rewired it with new guts off ebay and it "sort of" worked but isn't working now, and I can't do hills with it.

Here's the thing; my thighs have some degree of muscular impairment from some muscle problem with no medical name, but the upshot is that I can't peddle up much of a hill at all AND I live in a hilly neighborhood. In Hawaii.

I'm wondering if the purported 500w bafang hub motor in the sondors x would allow a 200lb guy to go up hills without pedaling, or whether hub motors just won't do that very well.  What has been the experience of people here?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to have to tell you but even the geared hub motored Sondors (more torque than direct drive hub motored bikes) are not good hill climbers without significant human power pedal assistance.  That’s the prominence of mid drive eBikes and so far, Sondors has not entered that market. 
Although you might be able to struggle up a few hills with mostly throttle on the 48V /500watt Sondors X, the use of max power results in a lot of heat being generated inside the motor and excessive heat destroys components, especially in a particularly hilly environment.    
See ;https://boltonebikes.com/blogs/news/which-motor-should-i-choose-for-my-electric-bike?_pos=3&_sid=a80389be4&_ss=r

The stark reality is that hill climbing ability costs more because all the components that produce more power are more expensive. 
06C8EFE8-528D-4031-8AA1-5082D3D11A46.jpeg.bdaa6f7e8ce75baceab074228d74de6d.jpeg

REDDY

alas, that's kinda what I figured. Ironic a bit since it isn't hard to pedal a regular bike without hills. And they're lighter.

My 24v old project bike has sort of a geared motor and would help me climb hills pretty well, but it had its limitations too, mostly just being a lead-acid 24v system.

So it seems like most of the purported 500w of the sondors x hub motor wouldn't be used, because 500w would be the power of several cyclists pedaling at once, seems like.

So why get a sondors bike? just to go faster on the flat?

many thanks for your reply...

Kealolo, Your preamble included muscular difficulties with your thighs, which contain the largest muscle groups in our bodies, that produce the most power. The other caveat is that hills is just a general term and there are hills, then there are "HILLS” and Hawaii is a mountainous island group.  I’d suggest that most of our 40,000 owners do ride on mostly flat routes judged by posts on this Forum since Sondors were introduced in 2015. 
BUT,  Colorado owner Houshmand Moarefi, rode his 1st generation Sondors 36V - 350Watt, up the highest pass in Colorado but that fried the motor.... On the upside, that led to his 750watt motor upgraded that is posted here on the Forum. 
Member Matt Robertson, in California, has a home in a particular hilly area and led him to upgrade his Sondors Original, to the 750Watt motor, upgrading that Sondors, once again, to AWD, with front and rear 750watt motors ....  then building a 750Watt Bafang  BBSHD mid drive with that motor that cost more than our Original 1st generation Sondors, to contend with hills. Finally, he has purchased a Sur Ron mid drive eBike.  https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/
There are a lot of misconceptions about eBikes, their components and motor watt ratings. Unlike Lightbulbs, that are our most familiar wattage rated devices, which actually utilize the actual watts they're rated at, eBike motor manufactures can rate their motors as they wish. Even one of the Sondors X most common comparison, the Rad Rover eBike, that use the same 500watt motors that are rated differently.   https://youtu.be/7K87AIiXFpY
My 750watt labeled motored Sondors Original uses 1,400 watts under full power and my 350Watt labeled motored Sondors 2nd Gen Custom Narrow (probably the best Sondors ever available but no longer offered) will use 1,100 watts under full power.
Likewise, riding up the steepest hill near were I live, on my Litespeed Vortex in the DFW MetroStool, for decades, before I bought eBikes and retired from emulating Lance Legstrong, I could generate over 1,000 watts as registered on my Power Tap power meter.  All human power.    https://youtu.be/gfcJuFtEcW   Fortunately that hill was less than a eighth of a mile long before the grade lessened but it was the most popular route with various cycling groups in the region to challenge that hill. North Central Texicans are considered “Flatlanders" but that label seems quite disingenuous while riding the most popular yearly event in the state, the Hotter N Hell in Wichita Falls. https://www.hh100.org   
You might be able to ride a SondorsX in your environ but that’s a maybe you might regret and not be satisfied with its performance. The choice that is likely to meet your needs is the most hill capable Sondors to date. The Sondors MXS.  It would be my next purchase and I’ve spent more than that on upgrading my Sondors.

I've thought of a good comparison to equate to your last question in the last line of your post. Yes, quite a few of  us do. In the general aviation society of privately owned aircraft its not unusual for owners up spend a thousand dollars a Knot on upgrades chasing maximum performance. 

6D623358-D921-4FA0-AC5C-1500A5214DA7.jpeg.7f14a03ab86fcccc0192b0afa492830d.jpeg

REDDY

Thanks for  your excellent reply, Reddy.  Indeed, this is all much as I expected from background reading.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or the money to go higher or more involved than the current price point on a sondors x. I'm a poor aging conservationist... and really this island ain't that good a place to ride if you don't like getting killed by cars.

Ideally I'd probably like a narrower-tire bike with a solid powerful battery and some gearing for under a grand. At my age, that simply may not happen affordably while I'm still around.  I guess I could always get a small motorcycle and ride it slow... I'd prefer electric, but I'm already giving away many megawatt-hours free each year to the utility from the overage of my solar panels.

Of course shipping adds $200 to an ebike shipped to my state too.

best