jeff in Pinole

RANDOM POWER SURGE

I just got the new MXS which i love...several of us on the facebook owners page have noted a random surge in power when not pedaling or using the throttle....it is like you pressed the throttle for a second or so when you are coasting...it's kind of a big saftely issue...i contacted Sondors and they say they are looking into it.

they have said to try and unplug and re seat all the electrical connections as well as checking the pedal assit sensor to make sure it is in the correct location....all of us have doone that and it hasn't fixed the problem...the next thing i can think of is to swap out the sensor or the throttle and see if the issue is related to one of these items...anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

Se our facebook link below to this issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/645344939305951/permalink/731725217334589/

thanks

Jeff

I’d try adjusting the PAS settings in your LCD setup. 
I’ve noticed a somewhat similar surge but it was only occurring in PAS-5 in my 52V 750watt 35Amp controller Original and after reconfiguring the PAS settings in my KT LCD 3, I’m not experiencing it anymore. 
8DC79CBC-6D23-4E38-8E0A-0D0F1568AB93.jpeg.cf4e2b968a451b8bbf3ba02a006afc9e.jpeg
                                  REDDY

mine is happening in all PAS modes...sondors sent me a new controller which didn't help...i have also ruled out the throttle assembly and  the LCD/computer as i have swapped those with other bikes....switching these other items doesn't help either...i think now i need to try the sensor and or pedal assist disk,,,any other ideas?

I had changed out the PAS Disc Sensor Assembly on my 2015 first Campaign Original when I modified it with 35Amp Controller, 52V Battery and 750watt Bafang, from the 8 magnet system to the 12 magnet system. I had to experiment with various PAS LCD settings to get it to work properly using those combination of upgrade conversions components. This is a wild guess, that it might be an intermittent Hall Sensor, single wire failure. I’m not even remotely sure if that could even cause a surge, but I’ll include that here. The only troubling solution for remedying that would be a Bafang Motor Swap but considering that there are several owners experiencing this anomaly (and all with the same model Sondors MXS, right?) and in 4 years on this forum I’ve not heard of another model having this Surge anomaly, makes that a wild conjecture. This makes me weigh in heavily, that it’s the MXS ‘s particulate combination of components, that are responsible.  Is there any combination of factors in place when this happens? Like, following or after the end of acceleration? How often does this occur, in say a mile or 10 minutes? Any combination of settings or circumstances in which it doesn’t occur? 
Since you’ve trouble shot most of the components and are now focused on the PAS sensor system, and I’m assuming the MXS uses 12 Mag Sensor, trying a less sensitive, 8 sensor mag assembly might be an option.

https://boltonebikes.com/collections/electrical-accessories/products/pedal-assist-pas-sensor

or trying the enclosed single piece PAS  assembly 

https://boltonebikes.com/collections/electrical-accessories/products/single-piece-pedal-assist-pas-sensor

I’ll probably swap and try this on my Sondors Custom Narrow, as part of the continuing upgrade process in the coming months and use it on my Original, also, just because it’s enclosed.  I have had PAS system problems; magnet wheel & sensor movement from chain dropouts that moved the disc on the BB spindle and the enclosed system should eliminate that. 
Lastly, I suggest that it might be some inherent controller anomaly that occurs because of controller design fault. 
My own highly modified Sondors Original has the opposite kind of fault, almost always but not every time,  occurring during the first few miles of operation with a fully charged 52V battery, now because of its age and over 10,000 miles total time, regularly full charges to 58.2 V.  I’ll get a. short interruption of power, maybe one second under PAS 1 and pedaling in a low gear in my warm up cadence. This might occur twice (but less often) during the first couple of miles and never in rapid succession. It’s usually not during high power demand and if it was I’d consider it Controller High Current Clipping because of the high output of my 35Amp controller at full throttle or PAS 5 setting (over 1400 watts) which I never use during that first few miles of my rides and not in effect during these power dropouts. I have no conclusive evidence of what causes it but just consider it a Controller Design Anomaly. Not near as problematic or dangerous as a surge. I have considered it might be connected to the power interrupt function of the switch in my very sensitive Magura MT-5e Brake Levers switches but that PROBABLY wouldn’t account where it occurs during the first few miles of my ride. The only constant that I can equate to it is high battery voltage and low current demand.
Gofigg’r.   
LEMMENO.

image.jpeg.a674549d506d9580ebd5124c3ef51153.jpeg

REDDY

I asked at Bolton , some months ago and although their CS  person who answered my query was not Kyle (the guy in the know) and they said they had not taken one apart but were not sure if it was better than the 12 mag open disk and sensor. No info on the magenta count. I’ve looked for that email reply, so I could forward their answer but could not find it.  I’m not sure as to the accuracy of their reply but as with every purchase of eBike equipment always verify compatibility and or questions I/You might have with the Vendor. 

Edit: Okay found it and it was from the end of July. 

"Hello Ready, 

They are a bit more reliable due to the design and not worrying about the magnet moving around, but I don't know that they're any more sensitive or precise than a 12 magnet sensor.   Best,

Jessica W."

"06C8EFE8-528D-4031-8AA1-5082D3D11A46.jpeg.bdaa6f7e8ce75baceab074228d74de6d.jpeg
             Reddy