Maximum

ANSWERED Mysterious squeak on new Thin

So I've ridden about 50 miles on my new Thin and it started this odd squeaking which seems to come from the crankset that I can't seem to figure out. It's not crackling or creaking like an old worn out bottom bracket/bearings problem (which can't be the case as I just bought the dang bike). It happens at the exact same spot on crank rotation whether I pedal backwards or forwards, on the street or on the bike stand. Nothing seems out of alignment. It's starting to drive me insane, as if a tiny mouse is living in my cranks and at every revolution it lets out a squeak. Any ideas?

Hello Maximum, Tighten both the Square Taper Crank Bolts after adjusting/tightening the Bottom Bracket Retainers. Very common malady. Conventional Wisdom is to coat the spindle tapers with the lightest, thin coat of Phil Wood Waterproof Grease. All the bottom brackets on the 4 Chinese Manufactured Bikes were dry.

Does the sound change when you pedal out of the saddle?

6D623358-D921-4FA0-AC5C-1500A5214DA7.jpeg.7f14a03ab86fcccc0192b0afa492830d.jpeg

REDDY

I too suggest retightening the crank. I had the same problem on my new Fold XS a few weeks ago. The first time I retightened them nothing happened,  and the sound reappeared on my next ride. I tightened them again and while tightening the right crank I heard a distinct click. The sound has not reappeared.   Good luck!

right on, thanks! I tightened the crank and slathered everything (well, mainly the chain) in triflow and for now the squeak is gone.  Thinking of replacing the entire crankset with higher quality but for now I'll stick with what came standard.