No pedal assist

CJR

• 7 months later...

I eventually gave up and just use the thumb throttle when pedal assist isn't working, which is most of the time.  I tried adjusting the sensor - could make it worse but not better.  I tried multiple replacement controllers, each new controller worked well at first then after 20 to 100 miles of riding, would degrade to no pedal assist at least some of the time.  The best controller I tried still has functional pedal assist 90% of the time when the battery is freshly charged, but by the time the battery is 50% discharged, pedal assist only works about 10% of the time.

I still love the bike, but it's a thumb throttle ride for me most of the time - pedal assist is nicer in a lot of circumstances but I just can't rely on it being there on my Sondors Original Fat Tire.

Mike, have you replaced the Magnet Wheel & Sensor? 
It’s not moving the magnet disc that is actually the problem. Since all of you are having this problem it’s obvious that some issues (crash or impacting a curb) moved the mag. wheel in the first place. It’s the distance between the mag disc and the pick up that pertinent and it shouldn’t be more than an a couple of business card thickness, distances between them. You may have to move the pickup sensor closer to the magnet disc, even if you have to bend the bracket. Of course it could be the sensor is bad. Check continuity with your multimeter and check the sensor cable that routes under the bottom bracket shell for a crushed or otherwise damaged cable. If you’ve changed any settings within the LCD you might have inadvertently changed a perimeter that effects PAS. All of those troubling shooting routines should be eliminated and mentioned when you chime in here.
But since your not sending pictures, it’s impossible to diagnose.

FA7A23E0-74C1-4EF0-8B8C-C24323DEFC9C.jpeg.2346c8a9b61b7fbf10ea6fde6a79d74c.jpeg

REDDY

3 hours ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

It’s not moving the magnet disc that is actually the problem. Since all of you are having this problem it’s obvious that some issues (crash or impacting a curb) moved the mag. wheel in the first place.

REDDY

Reddy,

Just to be crystal clear: it's not an obvious crash or impact causing this.  The PAS worked fine out of the box, for about two rides, then it started working less and less particularly toward the end of a ride.  As per the same advice you are giving now, I adjusted the mag. wheel very carefully close to the sensor, improved PAS a little bit for a little while, but it eventually deteriorated to reliably not working after 5 or fewer miles no matter how I adjusted the mag. wheel.  Then, I replaced the controller without touching the mag. wheel and the new controller worked perfectly for a ride or two, and then it started doing the same thing.  At this point, adjusting the mag wheel only make things worse, I had optimal placement, it's something in the controller.  The 2nd controller was even worse than the first.  Sondors customer service reluctantly sent me a 3rd controller under warranty and it had the same performance as the first two: flawless PAS performance for 20 or 30 miles, then slowly degrading.  I don't have an explanation for why, just the observation that something in the controllers' PAS function seems to burn out quickly after installation.   No settings changed within the LCD at any point - I think they were verified as correct with customer service, but in any event they didn't change when the new controllers were installed or after - and again: PAS performs well for a ride or two after controller install, then goes away when batteries are below about 80% charge level, sometimes more.

The bike is an occasional ride for me, 600 miles in ~2 years, and it's o.k. with thumb-throttle, would be nicer if PAS was functional - but, on the other hand, I don't really feel like spending more time working on the bike than I do riding it, so I'm just leaving it as is.

• 2 months later...

In regards to pedal assist not working, or working inconsistently.

Here my thoughts.

I ride a Sondors Thin since summer 2019, have over 4000 km on it without problems. Every thing worked - till 6 weeks ago during a ride I lost unnoticed pressure in front wheel tire and when taken a curve fell badly, separated my shoulder.

Now I began to ride again and there was no PAS, but the throttle worked.

I found that the ring caring the magnets was broken, so I have asked my bike technician to replace it with a new assembly - still PAS didn't work.

I found this thread, checked the distance, and it seemed OK, ca 2mm, less then 1/8 of an inch.

Then I reprogrammed the controller through the display, but it made no difference.

Then looking at the whole assembly I discovered from beneath one little magnet sitting from under directly on the sensor, which must have come and sit there from the previous broken magnet ring I have replaced! Obviously, if it sits on the sensor it messes up the signal!

Now, reading through the thread here I have seen multiple occasion where the PAS works inconsistently.

In my humble opinion if every thing is ruled out, the PAS strikes because magnetic dust gathered under way is clogging the sensor and preventing it to sense the magnets on the ring!

Therefore, I would clean up the area to get rid of any dust particles ... And this more often then not.

Best,

See me on BornToActNow on YT.

54 minutes ago, Vlad said:

> Then looking at the whole assembly I discovered from beneath one little magnet sitting from under directly on the sensor, which must have come and sit there from the previous broken magnet ring I have replaced! Obviously, if it sits on the sensor it messes up the signal!

Vlad - that definitely is one way to make a sensor fail.  I have only tried three controllers so far, but each time I started with a new controller PAS worked great when the controller was first installed, then degraded over time.  For the third controller, I carefully changed only the controller - nothing else - and PAS performance was restored, but again degraded over time.  I am sure that many - probably most - Sondors' controllers provide good reliable PAS, this is just my experience with the original + two controllers Sondors sent me under warranty.

The mag disk should be no further than 2 business cards (0.07874 inches) but mine is touching the sensor or I get fluctuating power surge. Mine is the second PAS assembly. I replaced the original 8 mag wheel with a 12 mag assembly for better sensitivity. The friction device on the mag wheel’s Bottom Bracket spindle, on mine, has become ineffective at holding the mag wheel in place. While waiting for new PAS assemble I’ve dabbed a little 5 minute epoxy on that part of the mag wheel.  Works fine until I receive a new assembly. 
Bolton Ebikes sells a fully inclosed assembly. No Fuss, No Muss. 

Reddy