CJR

ANSWERED No pedal assist

My wife's new Thin doesn't have a working pedal assist function.  We have the LCD display and when she pedals the bike it shows no power flowing to the motor.  It does register however when she depresses the throttle. The display accurately shows speed, battery life and braking.  Other than checking all the connections, is there anything else I can do? I suspect the controller is bad and my emails to the zendesk get no response.

Suggestions?

• Like 1

To document what happened here for the benefit of the Sonders Thin community, I eventually was able to speak with a Sonders tech and the reason my pedal assist was not working was due to the fact that the sensing disk on the pedal side of the chain sprocket was too far away from the sensor.  I used a flat blade screw driver to move this black plastic disk just a bit closer to the bike frame (<1/8 of an inch) and the pedal assist started to function normally. If you have a similar problem this could be the fix for you also.

Chris

• Like 5

I agree. the sensing disk on the pedal side of the chain sprocket can get too far away from the sensor.  Move this black plastic disk closer to the bike frame <1/8". I had the same issue, checked all the connections, took the battery out and put it back in.....but I think moving the disk closer was the key......it can slip again, so keep tabs on it just like checking tire pressure. I am running about 10-12 lbs in the Sondors Fat Tire bike.

I had the same problem, no pedal assist function, throttle works well.

The magnet disk was too far away from the sensor, as seen on the first picture.

The second picture shows the correct distance.

20161120_122132.jpg20161120_122217.jpg

• Like 2

"A picture is worth a thousand words": is an English idiom. It refers to the notion that a complex idea can be conveyed with just a single still image or that an image of a subject conveys its meaning or essence more effectively than a description does.

One problem that we experience here on the forum, is accessing the exact information we need, because our problems and solutions, may be hidden under many topic headings. Pictures of the PAS magnet ring and sensor missalignment, have been posted many times before as it is a very common problem. 

I think this is one of the most interesting example of a angular missalignment, when only a few of the magnets passed close enough to the sensor to tell the controller to send energy to the motor and precieved by the owner as normal as Sondors Bikes Energy Conservation Mode. His girlfriends Sondors, which was correctly spaced, precieved to be defective because energy was delivered constantly and smoothly.  

image.jpeg

Edited by Tabletteer

I've had my Custom (Fat) a few weeks and hadn't figured out how pedal assist was supposed to work. I noticed the motor watts read zero unless I hit the thumb throttle. Due to cold weather after a  few days of Summer-like weather, I put the bike in the corner and thought about it. This morning I took a look at the chain sprocket area and took a few pics. Well, I see the sensor but there doesn't appear to be a plastic wheel with magnets!

I turned the electronics on and held the rear wheel off the ground. I took a magnetic-tipped screwdriver and ran it across the sensor repeatedly and the motor turned on. That verified the electronics were working. So, it looks like I need the magnet wheel. What is the best way to contact Sondors on this issue?  I'll see if I can attach the (resized) photos for comparison with your bikes.

s001.JPG

s002.JPG

s003.JPG

s004.JPG

Go to their website customer service link. They have known to be slow to respond (sometimes reported as weeks) but they generally will. Alternately you can buy the assembly from their parts department for a small  fortune or upgrade by buying a better assembly with more magnets from aliexpress. The 12 magnet version have been reported to respond smoother.  That can take 30 days for delivery.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Top-Quality-Electric-Bicycle-Pedal-Assistant-12-Magnet-Speed-Sensor-install-on-the-right/32789824068.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.NHEo1i

• Like 1

I've got same problem, brand new fold regular. I can see that the silver bracket that holds the sensor is not parallel to the magnet disk. It looks like it would be difficult to bend back parallel without taking it off. Is it difficult for a bike novice to pull bracket off crank and straighten?

Can you slide the disc closer to the magnet sensor? The disc just slides on the bottom bracket axel. 

That could only have bent during manufacturing. Can you take a picture?

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

You wrote in a different thread "

"Ok, I've moved the magnet disk closer (almost touching) no luck. If I spin the pedal backwards while bike is parked I get a zero motor reading. It reads several hundred when I depress thumb throttle. I need to test sensor. How is best?"

We need to keep this all in the same thread. You keep jumping. What model Sondors do you have and which options.? Do you have the LCD and is it configured to show one of the PAS levels on the display? 

First check the PAS Sensor Higo connector on the cable. Probably inside the battery box. If that doesn't fix the problem you can take a magnet or madnetic screwdriver and pass it infront of the sensor, if younhave the LCD showing PAS 1, the motor should momenairly activate, be careful. 

If you have everything set correctly, battery on, thumb throttle on, LCD configured to PAS 1 and none of this works ....

go to Sondors.com's home page and contact them on the support link. 

Reddy, thanks for the reply. I've got the new fold with LCD. I've set the pas to every number from 1 to 5. No response on motor display. I'll check the sensor wire tomorrow and make sure it's plugged in near the controller. It could be the sensor, but that's a long shot. I'll check back here tomorrow after I know more.

Glad you found the problem, that's music to my ears. Like a band of gypsies going down the road together, we're glad she's... on the road again.

image.jpeg.f09786403685115fb7fd67fefaef3e74.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

I have been chasing this no-pedal assist problem for several months now on a 2018 Sondors Original with standard battery (and LCD controller).

Upon first assembly, pedal assist worked fine for 5 miles, then became intermittent.  Thumb throttle has been 100% reliable, so far.  Adjusting the magnet wheel had a temporary effect, but eventually power assist was completely gone.  Interestingly, at one point, moving the magnet wheel a little away from the sensor brought back consistent pedal assist for a few miles, but then gone again and mostly missing.  Sondors eventually sent me a new silver controller box.  The magnet wheel is relatively stable (doesn't appear to move on it's own) - and when I went from the old controller to the new one, no change in magnet wheel position, pedal assist was restored - perfect function for 25 miles: 2 good 10 mile rides, then in the middle of the 3rd ride pedal assist went intermittent again and rather quickly (as compared to the first controller) quit altogether.  Moving the magnet wheel has no effect.

It has, indeed, been 2 weeks with no reply since my last inquiry with Sondors support, I followed up with them this morning...

I’d suspect the PAS sensor pickup , the PAS cable or the PAS Higo connector.  If you have run over some obstacle, like a curb or lg rock and damaged the cable that runs under the bottom bracket shell, that could have damaged the wires inside the cable, causing an intermittent condition. Have you changed any settings in the LCD?

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy 

Sondors support did suggest a "factory reset" of the LCD controller - tried that, no effect (not surprising since I hadn't changed anything beyond the pedal assist level...)

PAS cable and sensor is about all that's left, really.  Only 250 miles on the bike so far, no physical damage to anything down there, and the problem started at mile 5.  Cable looks good, connector looks good, no pinches, kinks, tears, etc.  Of course, the new controller came with a new pin-side of the connector, and it looks fine, no bent pins, but re-seating it has no effect.

IMG_20180916_143328.jpg

On one of my Sondors, the PAS pickup is so sensitive, that from time to time I detect a interruption of one or two segments of the magnet wheel as power drops off and I’ll have to stop and push the wheel, closer the pickup, making sure it’s consistant thru the complete rotation, actually touching. The PAS sensor pickup bracket can be bent (even from the factory) causing some distance between the pickup and the wheel, check for proper alignment. You could always check continuity of the sensor with a multimeter thruout the rotation of the wheel but I’m not sure I can intellectualize  a condition where that would cause failures like you’ve experienced. I have actually replaced my PAS system to a 12 mag that is more responsive. Wait time for delivery is LONG. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Top-Quality-Electric-Bicycle-Pedel-Assistant-12-Magnet-Speed-Sensor-install-on-the-right/32789824068.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dY9lihf

Sondors Replacment:  https://sondors.com/collections/parts-store?page=4

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy