JoelH

Battery indicator on LCD not working, everything else on LCD working, no power

Hi, I have a Sondors Thin from ~ 2015/2016 with an LCD, and am not getting  peddle power even though the battery is fully charged.  The battery indicator on the thumb throttle (green/orange/red lights) is working and shows the battery is fully charged, but the battery indicator on the LCD shows no bars (empty) and the rest of the LCD is working fine.  Not getting any power to the wheel with either the thumb throttle or cadence sensor (when peddling).  Does anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot/fix this issue?

Make sure the large Higo connector under the right chainstay is properly and fully connected. Do not twist it, rather pull it apart and make sure the pins align properly when you plug it back together. Check inside for moisture. 

But your symptoms  usually indicate a Controller / LCD , mismatch or defect. What does the voltage read on the LCD display?

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Thank you for your reply/help!  I do not see a voltage on the LCD, where would it be shown?  Only see battery icon, time, assist level, speed, motor (W), distance and temperature.  

And I checked the Higo connector for the cable that connects to the motor on the back wheel (runs horizontally btwn the chain under the frame) and it was good - firmly connected and no moisture.

Let me know what you think, and thanks agian!   Joel

Joel, the KT LCD 3 (I’m assuming that’s your display,  based on the age of your Sondors) has 3 screens. You can scroll thur the  screens, once the LCD is  powered on, by momentarily pressing the center button on the LCD Control (Button Box). 

C9164127-7580-42FC-B622-DEF532571930.thumb.jpeg.4d23bad9f2d3466aa34afacdc19af7fb.jpeg

The 3rd screen has this VOL (voltage) display on the bottom 

KT LCD-3 Manual Instructions :   https://sondorsforum.com/topic/241-kt-lcd3-user-manual-everything-you-need-to-know-sondors-ebike/DD4FC560-05F1-45D2-860D-4F00243BB1ED.thumb.jpeg.37c86676b0931de42989feaf0b906eaf.jpeg

I’ll also assume you have a stock Sondors Thin with a 36v Battery. A fully charged (new) battery will show about 42v in the display. Considering the age and that you ride it regularly the battery will show some loss of capacity but should still be well above 36V, fully charged.

Let’s just consider that the voltage is adequate to power the  controller and motor. You’ll need to use a multimeter, on  the large Higo connector  (under the right chainstay, see:  https://sondorsforum.com/topic/2081-visual-map-to-sondors-original-parts/ )  unplugged, while applying throttle, and testing two of the large pins inside the controller side of the connector. Try testing all 3 pins one by one to the other pins. You might need a 3rd hand or assistance to do this and see if voltage, in about the same vol as shown on the LCD can be verified on the meter. If there is voltage of a significant amount it would be an indication of a motor problem or at least a problem beyond the lg Higo connector. If the bike has been dropped or if you’ve fallen,  with the bike landing on that side and damaged the motor cable where it exits the axel nut that could be the problem. You might try articulating the cable while apply throttle with the bike on the kick stand and wheel off the ground and see if it might power the wheel and motor. 

LEMMENO

image.jpeg.0595cadf17bfa972eab184062b667f3b.jpeg

REDDY

Thanks again for the help!  I do see the voltage on the LCD is good (varies btwn 40-41V) but when I disconnect the Higo connector, the pins (male connectors) are on the motor side of the connector, not the battery/controller side, so I do not see how I can check the voltage coming off the controller (since is a female connector).  I do have a multi-meter, and have worked in an electronics lab before, but just don't see how I can check the voltage since the pins (male side of the connector) once disconnected does not have any voltage on them (since they are on the motor side, not the battery/controller side).  

Again, appreciate any further help you can provide.   Joel

And again, the only thing that looks amiss is the battery indicator on the LCD is 'empty', its just a rectangle without any of diagonal bars inside...  otherwise all looks good on the LCD and power indicator lights.  And the main issue, no power to the rear wheel via the thumb throtttle nor when pedaling.  Again, hope you can help!

Well, there are pin sockets on the controller side and the 3 lg ones in the center is where you should test for Current/Voltage , while depressing the throttle. 

Have you changed any settings in the controller by reprogramming the LCD?  There are settings that control the bars in the battery display.

Sounds like that might be where the problem is .... or your controller is bad. 

It all depends on you being able to detect or not, current at that Higo connector. Not seeing current there eliminates the motor as the fault, and the controller is not sending current to the motor, that can be a problem created in programming though, even accidentally.  Controllers are the most common cause of malfunctions and especially NO POWER.

But first I’d suggest you re-program your controller with the instructions for the LCD. You can reset it to factory specs OR, change settings to your preferences by following Kyle’s video in the link I supplied above. 

image.thumb.gif.71600f9947e043dceb485d334dd2b94c.gif

6D623358-D921-4FA0-AC5C-1500A5214DA7.jpeg.7f14a03ab86fcccc0192b0afa492830d.jpeg

Reddy