BrokenBearingsJosh

ANSWERED Bearings in the bottom bracket are shot.

Hello,

I have a Sondors Thin bike that I purchased a little over a year and a half ago. More recently I took the bike into a bike shop because of some issues. The mechanic there told me that the bearings in the bottom bracket are shot. Now, this didn't surprise me, because part of why I took it in was to have him look at those bearings and replace them. Well, they certainly needed replacing, as he confirmed. The mechanic told me though that he can't find the parts within his network of suppliers. I've contacted Sondors, but thus far it's been frustrating, and I haven't got the information I need. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with that, because the person helping me seemed to hose the whole thing up... so I don't know.

I need a resource for new bearings, or whatever I'll need to make it happen. I'd prefer not to have to replace the whole bottom bracket, which from what I understand is a non-standard size too. So, I don't know... Where can I source parts for my sondors thin bike?? Where can I get bearings for the bottom bracket? Is there any option to get these parts within a timely manner, as this is my main form of transportation....? (I ask that one because in my searching, I found links to chinese sellers, and so.... it's like is there anything that can be sourced that wont take a month, ya know)

Thank you for any information you can provide. To be specific, again, for extra clarity. The issue is with the bearings in the bottom bracket. They need replaced. 

I have to take the bike back for further repairs, and I'd like it if I could source these parts soon enough that I could get it on the same ticket, as it'll save me money on labor. 

• Like 1

@BrokenBearingsJosh You need to go to the Sondors Storm Owners Group on Facebook.  Once there ask to join (I'm one of several group moderators and we approve new members quickly)

Once inside, there is a link to a support form that you can use to get to Sondors tech support.  Not sure why you haven't been able to get a direct response as I also know Sondors has a supply of Thin bottom brackets held in the warehouse specifically to deal with situations like yours.

While in the Group, I suggest opening up a thread and asking the community for help on this as well.  That will trigger folks' to tag the Sondors support reps who frequent that group and who are tasked with fast-tracking help in situations like yours - assuming they do not see your post themselves and contact you directly.

Don't worry you'll get it fixed. 

edit:  And yes... that bottom bracket/spindle combo is a unicorn.  I know an aftermarket source for the Original/fatty bottom brackets, but there's nothing on the open market for the Thins.

For anyone else who comes by and sees this thread... The aftermarket vendor who sells the 100mm x 177mm bottom brackets that work for the Originals now makes an 80x142 bottom bracket that matches the spec of the Sondors Thin.  At least on paper.  It will take a few weeks for someone to buy one and for it to get here on the boat so it can be measured/installed/etc.

I found it by searching on '80x142 bottom bracket' in case this links stops working:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZTTO-Bicycle-80mm-100mm-Square-Tapered-Bottom-Bracket-BSA-80x142-100x155-100x177-80-100-Axis-For/32965224214.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.2.24bf6f36lH7zD7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10130_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10902_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_56,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=011a95db-d8e8-40fd-9316-b30d577c856e-0&algo_pvid=011a95db-d8e8-40fd-9316-b30d577c856e&transAbTest=ae803_3

There are presently three separate sales listings for these.  Note that the Sondors oem replacement for the 100*177 Original is sold in the same listing.

• Thanks 1