We've updated some things - please give us feedback when something isn't working as it should. e-Mail: user-support@sondorsforum.com Read more... ×
Adam Young

Sondors Fat E-bike on Craiglist (needs repair?)- Newbie seeking advice

Hello,

My name is Adam, and let me start off by saying I am a total newbie here! I am totally new to the world of E-bikes, but have been researching them the past few weeks. Today, a Sondors Fat E-bike was just listed on Craigslist for $275. The owner has indicated that the 350 watt Bafang geared hub motor has rusted and seized internally and is not repairable. Included in the deal is the following: - 2016 SONDORS V2 FAT TIRE E-BIKE w/pedal assist (top speed ~20MPH), HUGE 4" tires, front suspension fork and Tektro Mechanical Disc brakes, Original Panasonic Lithium-ion bottle battery 36V/12.8 Ah with key-lock mount, 2 Samsung Lithium-ion add-on batteries 36V/4.4Ah (UFINE 10501, 2P10SSAMSUNG22P), Upgraded Lunacycle controller and LCD, Upgraded Ritchey 4-Axis Adjustable Handlebar Stem, Upgraded puncture-resistant inner tubes, XT60 battery connectors and splitter cable for add-on battery, Original SANS 36v charger, Pak-Rak snap-on carrier rack + bag with expandable saddle bags, Steel fenders, Spare inner tube, Can of fix-a-flat for bikes

Im waiting on a response from the owner, but curious to know what the Sondors community thinks. Here are my questions:

1.) Is this common, for a motor to completely seize and rust up? I think the bike is a 2016. 
2.) Should I take this as an indication that other components or the Bicycle itself are also in poor shape?
3.) Can anyone provide an estimate, or determine if its reasonable and makes economic sense to replace the motor unit?

4.) Could the average joe, with little to no E-bike experience figure this thing out and get it working?

5.) Is this a poor deal? good deal? great deal?

Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.25.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.25.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.25.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.25.41 PM.png

Edited by Adam Young

Adam, 

1) not common unless it’s ridden in the surf or continually left out in the rain. 

2) I’d suspect that could be the case. 

3) motors are pretty economical at less than $200. I just purchased a 750watt upgrade motor $171.00 on 11/11 sale day in China. Exact replacment 350watt motors are avalable there for about $130.00 I’d guess, haven’t checked. 

4) Yes, but the value of this bike is in its value to upgrade and replace everything you see removed from the Triangle battery box and the motor. Upgrade to the 750watt motor (who’s innards could be swapped, easy easy, with the dammaged 350watt innards, into the existing bare case) a new, 35amp controller(the existing lunacycle controller might be salvagble) and LCD combo and an upgraded battery 52v . Approximate  cost  upgrades $700-$800.  You’d end up with the equivalent to a $1,600 to $2,000 eBike. 

5) If it was in my local area, I’d already have snatched it up. But my advise to you would buy a new SondorsX7.

image.jpeg.cf2e48c846cb6421ec11823ad229f7af.jpeg

Happy Holidays Reddy

59 minutes ago, Electrified said:

Originally the bike was around $700, shipping included. Hope this helps!

Actually that Sondors has the original suspension fork and it looks like the aluminum frame which adds at least  $200 bucks to the initial purchase price. About $894.00 it also has a nice rack and fenders. 

Ask me how I know?

E8DF132D-256C-416B-9CEA-DA7811A23CE2.thumb.jpeg.b186409f6c2101bf37a4f90fa593f009.jpeg

Happy Holidays 

image.jpeg.cf2e48c846cb6421ec11823ad229f7af.jpeg

REDDY