Sondors ebike: Thin vs Fat

Hi all,

I'm on the fence about whether to buy a thin or fat-tire Sondors. I'm planning to commute from the burbs to the city (~30 minute ride) and the terrain is fairly smooth barring a few potholes and slopes on the way. Some of the online forums suggest that the fat-tire bike is more comfortable of the two but the thin is more portable. There aren't many reviews however that compare the bikes head to head. For eg. are there features in the original that are not available on the thin and vice versa? Is the original easier to upgrade? is one easier to assemble that the other? 

If you own a Sondors and could provide feedback on which bike you would pick and why that would be amazing! Thanks everyone!! and thank you Sondors!

Cheers,

SG

Hey there!

I own a Sondors FAT and I'm absolutely satisfied with it. And I just LOVE the bad-ass look of those fat wheels. ;) It is quite heavy though, but since I do not plan to carry my bike around, that's OK. Since I do not own a THIN, I can't compare those, but I can try to summarize some facts:

• Both FAT and THIN can be upgraded with the K3-LCD
  • Both FAT and THIN have a 350W geared hub-motor
  • Both FAT and THIN have a similar max. speed and range
  • The FAT can be upgraded with a front suspension fork
  • The FAT can be upgraded with a higher capacity battery
  • There are third party vendors who sell replacement batteries for the FAT
  • The FAT has a steel frame
  • The FAT can be upgraded with an aluminium frame
  • There is no suspension fork upgrade for the THIN (yet*)
  • The THIN's battery can not be upgraded (yet*)
  • There are no third party vendors who sell replacement batteries for the THIN (yet*)
  • The THIN has an aluminium frame
  • The THIN can be upgraded with a belt drive

* (yet) There might be more upgrades available in the future, though this is just an assumption.

Additionally, you can find tons of upgrade- and modification-posts for the FAT here on the forum. The number of THIN related posts is low, because the THIN is available for a short time only. However, the numbers of THIN owners here on the forum is constantly growing.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Chad Lauterbach
      So I decided to go for a 52v upgrade on my Sondors Thin using the Luna Cycles 52V TRIANGLE PANASONIC GA 18650 14AH HIGH POWER AND LONG RANGE battery. I carefully measured and I thought I could just barely get it in to my Sondors Thin if I took out the bumpers for the stock battery and some of the cable guides. I got the battery and even after looking it I thought it would work (see attached photos). I used a Dremel to take out the bumpers that were in there and most of the cable guides in the top right. The battery looks like it was made for the box, dimensionally it fits like a glove, but (and I knew this was going to be the tough part) the hard box on the Thin just won't quite close even after my modes. I don't think I'm close enough to quite get it there either.
      I really like the look of the hard box case on the Thin, so I'm trying to figure out it:
       Is there some alternative idea to getting this thing to work in the stock box. I'd thought maybe there's some way to modify the hinges... or even cutting off the outer rubber on the battery might save a few mm. Any ideas folks? That's why I'm posting on the forum. Is there another form of hard box, maybe from the non-Thin Sondors, that might fit in it? Is there something dumb I'm just not thinking of here? I guess the final option is just remove the box and put in a soft triangle bag (such as the Luna Cycles one). Does anyone have any experience putts one of those on the Thin? And once I do that I might as well get an even bigger 52v battery, right? I've also got photos of it compared to the ElctroBikeWorld LT48.
      Appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks!
      @Reddy Kilowatt?

• By Chad Lauterbach
      After upgrading the front crankset, rear freewheel, (53/17 final gear ratio), chain,  LT48 battery, 20-amp controller and display the bike was a beast. Easily commuting to work at 26-27mph and hitting 28-29+ with a bit more effort. The issue was at those speeds in LA traffic I needed the ability to stop fast too. And re-adjusting my brakes every ~2-3 weeks was also getting annoying. The solution was new tires, hydraulic brakes, and Rotors. Here's what I got:
      --
      Rotors: Shimano Deore RT66 180mm 6-Bolt Disc Rotor
      Brakes: PASION E BIKE MTB Hydraulic Disc Cut Off Power Brake E-Bike (This is basically just a Shimano Hydraulic brake set that's been modified to have the motor cut-off. Make sure to select the right option, in my case it was the second one from the left as my controller has the 2-pin (red) motor cut-off).
      Rotor Spacer: Shimano F180P/P2 Disc brake adapter
      Hose Wire Clip Clamps: Jiyaru Bicycle Cable Guide Brake Line Holder Hose Wire Clips Clamps (To route the hydraulic hose by attaching these to the existing closed cable lines).
      Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 348 Road Bike Tire
      --
      This thing stops like a beast now and with the extra traction from these tires this is a nice safety upgrade. Should reduce the changes of flats too as these tires have built-in tire-liners essentially. So far really happy with the upgrade. :)
      I hope this helps somebody out!
      Chad

• By Fletcher Williams
      I just assembled a new single speed "Thin" with the LCD control. It seems like its geared really low, especially when you have the option of the electric motor assist. When I'm going full bore, I'm pedaling like a mad man.  What are the consequences of swapping the front sprocket for a larger one? I notice that Sondors' front sprocket has a kind of integral chain guard on either side of the chain wheel too. If I were to swap out the front sprocket and extend the chain, is there a supplier that makes a similar but larger diameter sprocket with the chain guard?
      Thanks for any suggestions!
    • By Marco Lam
      I'm putting together my seven speed condors thin and it looks different from the assembly videos in that there is no lighted up grey part on the throttle with a button.  The throttle is just a black lever.  Is this right?
      I did order the LCD screen and am installing it now.
    • By ProhibitionKilz
      I have had my Sondors Thin for about a year now & use it daily to get to work/home.  I started noticing the bike was having trouble staying at full speed when the battery was running low a few months ago, it would keep me running at 19 instead of the full 20 when the battery was at about a quarter charge left(one bar on the screens battery indicator).  Since then it has gotten progressively worse and is now down to only holding me at 16 with a low battery, when the battery is full the bike performs like it did straight out of the box but only for the first quarter of the battery or so.  I have kept the bike factory except for the tires & inner tubes, I am running tubeless on the front & the standard setup on the rear at the moment, doesn't seem relevant but was advised to list any mods.  I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this problem, I am thinking it is the controller going bad because I have taken proper care of my battery per the instructions that came with my Sondors & the fact that it performs perfectly fine when the battery is full but I would like to get some other opinions on the matter before I start replacing/upgrading anything.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.