After upgrading the front crankset, rear freewheel, (53/17 final gear ratio), chain,  LT48 battery, 20-amp controller and display the bike was a beast. Easily commuting to work at 26-27mph and hitting 28-29+ with a bit more effort. The issue was at those speeds in LA traffic I needed the ability to stop fast too. And re-adjusting my brakes every ~2-3 weeks was also getting annoying. The solution was new tires, hydraulic brakes, and Rotors. Here's what I got:

--

Rotors: Shimano Deore RT66 180mm 6-Bolt Disc Rotor

Brakes: PASION E BIKE MTB Hydraulic Disc Cut Off Power Brake E-Bike (This is basically just a Shimano Hydraulic brake set that's been modified to have the motor cut-off. Make sure to select the right option, in my case it was the second one from the left as my controller has the 2-pin (red) motor cut-off).

Rotor Spacer: Shimano F180P/P2 Disc brake adapter

Hose Wire Clip Clamps: Jiyaru Bicycle Cable Guide Brake Line Holder Hose Wire Clips Clamps (To route the hydraulic hose by attaching these to the existing closed cable lines).

Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 348 Road Bike Tire

--

This thing stops like a beast now and with the extra traction from these tires this is a nice safety upgrade. Should reduce the changes of flats too as these tires have built-in tire-liners essentially. So far really happy with the upgrade. :)

I hope this helps somebody out!

Chad

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

This is very helpful to me as I am experiencing dangerously bad brakes on my Sondors Thin. I am having to be like Barney Rubble on the Flintstones to stop at intersections and barely making it. I have ordered everything here except the tire for now; as mine are still good. The only thing is I got one disc instead of two, so I ordered another one. That won't arrive until February 4 for some reason. I am also considering the upgrades mentioned here for the battery and rear motor. I'll have to really get what I need to do that. The brakes are priority number one now.

I’d suggest your brakes’  discs and pads are badly contaminated and you need to take your Sondors Thin, to a competent LBS (Local Bike Shop) for service. I’ve found the Sondors Tektro Mechanical Disc brakes, when properly adjusted and maintained, wholly adequate and perform admirably, especially on the light weight Sondors Thin. They even did so when hauling 50# of Dog Food on my heavy, 2015 Sondors Original Fat, which used your exact same Tektro. 
The main advantages of Hydraulic Disc Brakes are; they are self adjusting, have better tactile modulation, at the levers, and with the addition of larger Rotors, offer more stopping power.  
 image.thumb.jpeg.35f0db91758b6aa3df80d9ed300542a2.jpeg
Just make sure, after upgrading your brakes, that you properly maintain them because they will be no more effective than your present Tektros if you don’t.
I’d also suggest reviewing YouTube videos on Bicycle Disc Brake Maintenance, especially videos on Bicycle Brake Disc Contamination. 
That being said, upgrading to hydraulics is a common and rewarding upgrade, just be prepared for the more involved maintenance requirements of hydraulics and necessary Maintenance Kit and specialized tool requirement. 

The only Battery Upgrade for a Thin, that fits in the battery box triangle, if you presently have the 36V, is the Sondors 48V Thin Battery.  The L48 battery does not fit and Chad reverted to removing the original Sondors Battery Triangle Battery Box, and using a canvas triangle battery bag.  No After market batteries have been found, so far, to fit in the Sondors Triangle Battery Box. 
                       28C2D9CE-B578-4127-BAC2-8C3252C2F97E.jpeg.87bfeff53ceffea891c43669e97ae427.jpeg

REDDY FORUM MIDERATOR

I will have to take a look at that info on the brake maintenance, but I took the brakes off and apart a few times as well as many adjustments and nothing doing either way. I also though the pads may be wore out because of the sound the brakes have been making recently that didn’t before. I am comfortable with the new brake purchase and like the idea of a hydraulic brake. I will probably do exactly as the post does for a battery upgrade. I have the original and two of the upgrade battery’s from Sondors. I never get more than 20 miles distance out of either on a full charge and my speed gets only as high as 18 mph with the wind. I wish I had the Sondors Thin with the many speeds on it now. Thanks for sharing.

I was mistaken about the L48 Battery. Lindsey Electro Bike World does recommend it will fit the Thin.  
It was the 52V, L3, that I was remembering, but recalled Chad had ended upgrading to it in his September 2018 final edition.  It’s the exact 52V battery I use in my Electric White Lightning, my highly modified Sondors 2016 2nd Generation Custom Narrow. My Bad.

https://sondorsforum.com/topic/2329-sondors-thin-52v-upgrade-attempt/?do=findComment&comment=8947
Don’t forget to chime back in after you complete your upgrades and add pictures of your Thin to our Gallery where Thin’s are poorly represented. 
F041D007-0236-48C6-9F4A-4C6484D1B7C2.jpeg.00e012adf5e04768a1ab0db40e872129.jpeg

REDDY

On 1/10/2021 at 10:41 AM, Paul Murphy said:

This is very helpful to me as I am experiencing dangerously bad brakes on my Sondors Thin. I am having to be like Barney Rubble on the Flintstones to stop at intersections and barely making it. I have ordered everything here except the tire for now; as mine are still good. The only thing is I got one disc instead of two, so I ordered another one. That won't arrive until February 4 for some reason. I am also considering the upgrades mentioned here for the battery and rear motor. I'll have to really get what I need to do that. The brakes are priority number one now.

Sorry but your posts seem to be incomplete. If you are adding pictures you can’t copy & paste them but use the attachment options on the bottom of the text pane. If your referring to the picture of Chad’s Thin with the suspension fork, in the link I supplied, yes that was a later post from Chad. The picture above the picture of his Thin, just illustrates the bag necessary to use the L3 - 52v battery but that bike is not a Sondors.
F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg

REDDY

I have this kind of bracket on my front forks. I come to find that I had three different brackets sent with the pertaining parts. This one fit, but only after figuring it out. The one bracket I received just didn’t work at all for my setup. Just waiting on the rear disc to arrive by February 4 and I can do my rear brake. The front one works marvelously now.

E82408CC-6816-4079-A1F3-9EFDCC9B8C9F.jpeg

That’s a disc brake adapter and it can be confusing because of the two common mounting systems. International Standard; I. S. & Post, along with different adapters for various sized disc.  
Disc brake adapters are a black hole of weird standards.  Let’s stick to the 3 most popular ones so we don’t go crazy and reach for the Mezcal.  I.S., aka International Standard is for better or worse, the current brake mounting standard for bicycle frames. It’s featured on the most bikes, and when most folks think: disc brake adapter, some sort of I.S. adaptor is what they think about. Confusingly, most disc brakes themselves are post mount. You need an adaptor to get the two to play together. I.S. brakes more or less don’t exist. Just Post mount and Flat mount.

51A52D33-8870-471C-A6C4-507D90641B6F.jpeg.a5504fabdc5aa72ab0d4730c2bd75fe1.jpeg

REDDY

Yea, there’s twelve types for twelve different adapters. I’m lucky this works. Have to wait for disc two to arrive. It says February 4. I thinks it’s coming from Taiwan or something. I’ll definitely do the battery upgrade as well. Buy one and keep one Sondors battery, sell the other two.

I came across a difference with my model. I have to use the same brake adapter for each wheel. As seen in the image of my front brake here, my front fork has a different mounting bracket on it. I returned two other adapter I had, and ordering this one again for the rear wheel. Slowly and steadily. It’s the sporadic shipping of items slowly me down. Cable adapters showing up next.

F222A3D1-4AF6-46AD-8903-6B76C6EC521E.jpeg

51B7DF9A-7C51-4782-B639-46CE3890CD95.thumb.jpeg.ee7e71119ac6e8570a62d258332b9cdb.jpegI’ve seen the same problem on my 2015 Sondors Original Fat except on the rear. I use Magura MT-5e’s. The specified rear adapter for my 180mm disc, fit but the pads (4), only wiped 2/3rds of the disc. I ended up modifying the adapter by machining  off some of both posts, to get a precise fit.  I use a 302mm front and 180mm rear disc.

‘I’m pretty sure that Sondors, to minimize different part count and unitize compatibility, used rear frame and front fork mounts that would use the same adapter both front and rear. 
‘This is the same strategy, that the manufacture of my Grumman American Aircraft had done, by using the exact same structures for left & right rear horizontal stabilizers and elevators and, the vertical stabilizer and rudder. The same two unit structures were interchangeable. Over thousands of aircraft, in both manufacturing and repairs it saved a lot of money.   
A9DB432F-F3C8-4F9D-BE7E-0E4A5B8D135A.thumb.jpeg.bd7cb6bda996eb116664b4da580f7dbb.jpeg

A28EDD3E-259F-49C2-AF12-23DE78C41A44.jpeg.6cf6239f64b9fdc300ac2e7c611f7f9c.jpeg

REDDY

I got the second adapter today and it works. Same identical one as the front adapter.  Brakes work, but I still have to take it out tomorrow. The cable slack is very long. Even though I haven’t received the cable connector adapters yet I can tell there’ll be a lot of slack left. Is there any way to shorten them? I don’t see the cable sticking out of the end like mechanical brakes have.

Great video. I’ll need to buy those parts and tools. I don’t have the yellow block or the spare parts. Sounds like he’s calling it an olive. Plus I’m still waiting for the line adapters from China. Says March for those, and I only get six when I need seven. I could just ride the bike temporarily with the lines as is and tie them up with zip ties or something. Got a link for those other items? Hopefully compatible with my Shimano brakes.

It’s something that is regular owner maintenance. It’s not difficult, requires a few small replacement parts.  Inserts, olives and the manufactures recommended fluid. 
Air in the system is the enemy but following procedures carefully result in good results. A soggy/mushy lever will indicate air in the system. Fluids are not compressible like gasses. 
Hydraulic brakes pads are self adjusting, so fluid maintenance is rare, even when replacing pads. 
Now is the time to review and stock up on replacement pads (there are options), fluid and small parts. I even like having extra caliper & lever reservoir caps screws on hand. Most of the screws and bolts on my Magura brakes are Torx heads so I’ve have a separate small Torx bit tool kit that I keep in my Bicycle Tool Box. 
When you are shortening the hose you can run it in the intended frame cable/hose captures. 
F15BF769-FA64-43B6-81C9-18B3AD910CC7.jpeg.ec9298ae1f3166d07fe618901feadeab.jpeg

REDDY

Heh, I was wondering why I didn’t see a stainless steel cable sticking out the end of the brake, and thought how near that it was tucked in like it was, forgetting that they’re hydraulic and therefor hose lines versus cable sheaths. 🙄😁 I like having the right tools, supplies and other stock and will definitely acquire all of the above. Great thing that the brakes are Shimano and easy to acquire parts for. It will still take to mid March before the hose mount adapters arrive. Slow boat from China. I should have researched that out better.