A 2018 Mid-Year Message From Storm Sondors Read more... ×
Mike Graham

Thanks for the add, questions about gears and pedal assist

I am not currently a Sondors owner but am gathering information to make a purchase.  So many options makes it difficult.  

Could someone explain how the Shimano gears interact with the pedal assist levels.  What impact does changing gears have on increasing speed and diminishing of range?  Is there a recommended method for changing gears and adding pedal assist?  Also how difficult is it to pedal without the gears if you run out of battery power?  I would assume having the extra gears makes it much easier to pedal without battery assist.

My second concern is in mounting the bike.  Is it much easier to mount the folding bikes than the Original and Sondors X?  I have some difficulty  in getting on a standard 26 inch bike and wonder if the 20 inch bikes are easier to ride.

Thanks again for including me in your group and I hope to be a Sondors owner soon.  I am going to the demo days in San Diego this weekend.

In the simplist terms, you set your PAS setting based on several factors; wind, terrain, rider weight and fitness level, for a pedaling cadence and cycling speed your comfortable with.  For the relatively flat routes I ride (no steep or long hill climbs or descents)  I’m in PAS 1, because it’s the most efficient setting to afford the greatest distance traveled and I use the gears for the most effective human power, to cycling thru the gears from a standing stop from a traffic light or stop sign from 1st to whatever gear matches my most comfortable cadence  (sweet spot) to reach my cruising speed and to adjust for slight differences in terrain or head/tail winds.

If it’s a decision wether or not to buy the 7 speed X model, it’s no contest, for anyone who is not a seasoned cyclist, the gears make a hell of lot of difference and other that a long straight flat course, I find my thumbs dance on both the PAS and shifter levers. I don’t use a grip shifter, rather, rapid fire levers. I don’t use the throttle, excepy to blip it while at very slow speed in tight maneuvering to add some instantaneous power to help in tracking.  In general, throttle use reduces distance because the wattage applied is greater than the motor can convert into motive power,from a standing start and the excess is just converted to heat instead and wasted.

The Original & X, 26 x 4.9” tired Sondors, are very tall bikes. If you have problems mounting older conventional MTBs a FoldX would fit you better. You feet will not be able to touch the ground when you stop with the saddle set a the proper height. The Folds are more nimble and easier to maneuver in tighter quarters. The Fold X and Sondors X afford about the same performance. 

image.jpeg.f4c0624b2dc6d3f299c2db8744841cda.jpeg

Reddy

Thanks for the info.  I was worried about the taller bikes so the 20 inch makes more sense.  I also like the idea of having the extra battery power to increase the distance at which I can use pedal assist.  I am also worried about getting excited and using up all the battery power and having to pedal the rest of the way home.  For that reason I’m pretty sure I want to spend the extra money to get the Shimano gears.