biknut

Buffy's Custom Fold

On 6/21/2018 at 11:07 AM, biknut said:

24" wheels, and 750w motor with 25 amp controller.

Hello,,

very nice upgrade.  I'm very interested in the wheel change in particular. I own a fold and I live in Spain. Could you tell me the important details to choose the proper 24" wheel.  I ride 90 % asphalt everyday.  I want to reduce weight and  friction.  Thanks.

nice

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:29 AM, ale said:

Hello,,

very nice upgrade.  I'm very interested in the wheel change in particular. I own a fold and I live in Spain. Could you tell me the important details to choose the proper 24" wheel.  I ride 90 % asphalt everyday.  I want to reduce weight and  friction.  Thanks.

nice

This is where I bought the rims.  They're 24 x 65mm double wall.

http://www.robsson.de/en/

The hub is just a sealed bearing 135mm for disk brakes. I bought it on Amazon

You'll want to find as low profile tires as possible because there's not much extra space between the tire and fork, and also the chain stay. 

12 hours ago, Leonard Bukowski said:

Nice bike. Do you know where I can find a 25A controller with the correct motor plug already installed on It to plug into my 750 Bafang motor. 

Thanks

Nobody makes one.  I had to solder one on to mine.

Did you solder the new cable onto the controller and not motor? are the wires color coded so you know which wire connects where ? 

Also after the new connector was soldered on did everything work as it normally would. I read somewhere on these forums  that it may not work because of compatibility, just asking to make sure. 

I know to buy the new wire harness to solder onto the controller. 

Thanks

7 hours ago, biknut said:

This is where I bought the rims.  They're 24 x 65mm double wall.

http://www.robsson.de/en/

The hub is just a sealed bearing 135mm for disk brakes. I bought it on Amazon

You'll want to find as low profile tires as possible because there's not much extra space between the tire and fork, and also the chain stay. 

Thanks Biknut.  I like a lot the idea...a lot.. but I'm scared of the rim change.  The relacing of the spokes don't seem something easy. I would go to a professional if I decide to do it

Only one doubt... wich tyre measure could you use for the rims and what is the final performance with the frame and weight of the fold. Are they enough support  for the ebike ? and... is the total weight of the bike slightly reduced with this wheeel change ?

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:40 AM, ale said:

Thanks Biknut.  I like a lot the idea...a lot.. but I'm scared of the rim change.  The relacing of the spokes don't seem something easy. I would go to a professional if I decide to do it

Only one doubt... wich tyre measure could you use for the rims and what is the final performance with the frame and weight of the fold. Are they enough support  for the ebike ? and... is the total weight of the bike slightly reduced with this wheeel change ?

There's very little difference in weight, or performance. Mostly just looks. Tire selection will be limited because only the shortest profile tires will fit without hitting the frame or forks.

12 hours ago, biknut said:

There's very little difference in weight, or performance. Mostly just looks. Tire selection will be limited because only the shortest profile tires will fit without hitting the frame or forks.

thanks. 

Maybe i will try a 24" in the front wheel and just reduce the tire in the rear (20x3). I loved the cool bull tires that you had try in this fold. but imposible to find for me now.  do you remember the profile of the tire that you used for the 24" rim of your front wheel.  I think that i have a margin of aprox 50 mm from the top of the rim to the fork..maybe 60mm. thanks again.

I am considering ordering the Fold X special edition, but have never rode any Fold X.  I love the look, but I have heard from more than one person (youtube, reviews) that their knees hit the wide frame.  I am also considering the Veego Fat Bike, which also folds and is a step through to make it easier to mount the bike.  One thing is I see Veego at least has a number to call and ways to contact support, but Sondors only has their supper email which I never seem to get replies except an automated canned response.  Can any owners respond, I would really appreciate honesty?

23 hours ago, Tim Melander said:

...their knees hit the wide frame.

That is true, and my kids do mention the very wide tube that houses the battery hitting their knees.  The folding locking latch makes even wider on the right.  For me, I am more aware of the design, and I think it okay for my riding.

Edited by Shocker
defective website editing feature

@Tim Melander

This is the first comment about concerns of the width of the top tube &  being a problem that I’ve seen  here on the forum. But the bike is about as wide as any other eBike that configures 18650 li ion battery packs with it’s cells configured perpendicular to the frame tubes.  The cell lengths kinda determine the bikes minimum  width. 

But Buffy’s video might give you some insight into your concerns. 

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Thanks for the honesty.  The Sondors Fold X is pretty cool looking.  It is hard  to look past something like knees hitting, but I guess we have to weight out the pros and cons. 🙂

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, Leonard Bukowski said:

Did you solder the new cable onto the controller and not motor? are the wires color coded so you know which wire connects where ? 

Also after the new connector was soldered on did everything work as it normally would. I read somewhere on these forums  that it may not work because of compatibility, just asking to make sure. 

I know to buy the new wire harness to solder onto the controller. 

Thanks

The bigger motor cable for the 750 was soldered to the controller.  I just opened the controller, chopped the wires,  and soldered the bigger cable to them. It works exactly the same as the smaller cable.

Inside the controller is each wire connected to a terminal and did you disconnect the old wires from the terminals and than solder the new wires to each corresponding terminal or did you splice the new wires onto the old wires ?

37 minutes ago, Leonard Bukowski said:

Inside the controller is each wire connected to a terminal and did you disconnect the old wires from the terminals and than solder the new wires to each corresponding terminal or did you splice the new wires onto the old wires ?

I didn't feel comfortable trying unsolder from the board. I just cut the wires about an inch from the board, and spliced to them.

Hey Biknut, what are the specs on Buffy's handlebars?  Looking for the clamp diameter, rise, any bends, etc.  My hope is that they would fit my X model.....

Thanks!!

49 minutes ago, JCJ said:

Hey Biknut, what are the specs on Buffy's handlebars?  Looking for the clamp diameter, rise, any bends, etc.  My hope is that they would fit my X model.....

Thanks!!

They're Box, Maximus 8.5 rise, and 31.8 clamp size. They  about 29" wide. Extremely well made strong bars. The only drawback is they cost a lot.