We've updated some things - please give us feedback when something isn't working as it should. e-Mail: user-support@sondorsforum.com Read more... ×

Hey all, I thought I'd ask other current owners if the Sondors front suspension is worth it or if I should just order my bike and upgrade the suspension later. I'm looking to order the original fat bike with aluminum frame. Does anyone have any reviews on the suspension upgrade?

Hi Lyndon

I bought the fork upgrade and it is OK. Way better than the orginal, but you find that the frame sits a bit higher. However I am now looking into up grading to Bluto Rockshox. That's why I just joined, to get the specs on the head tube.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Greetings, I just replaced my fork and upgraded the bearings and races while I was at it. The old bearings were tiny.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Appreciate the tips fellas! I think I will just save for the Sondors suspension. I'll worry about a heavier upgrade later as my main use will be mostly street roads and trails thru New Mexico to the schools I work for. Thanks!

On 7/9/2016 at 4:21 PM, Kwyjibo said:

Greetings, I just replaced my fork and upgraded the bearings and races while I was at it. The old bearings were tiny.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Would U consider sell UR original front suspension ?

I upgrade to front suspension and raise up, considering downgrade...

wisejayc@gmail.com

@Lyndon445 - For what it's worth, as an aggressive rider with the suspension forks here's a super fast review... Heavy, adds a good amount of weight to the bike. No adjustments that I can find for the compression. Bottom's out quickly when riding on rough terrain where your front end comes off the ground, popping the front tire up onto a curb requires extra work as you lift the bike, then the forks expand, so you add a few inches to that need to lift to clear. Worth it? To me, I am not sure, but I think I'd go stock, or find an alternative brand with adjustments for the compression. Just my 2 cents.

@alienmeatsack - I'm new and have enjoyed reading your posts as I just purchased a Thin for commuting. I'm a tall guy at about 250 and was thinking about upgrading the front suspension. Is it your opinion that I leave the original or get a high quality fork rather than go with the Sondors upgrade? Thanks

I have an X model and I have to say the current suspension shock leaves a lot to be desired.  I understand Sondors has an air shock coming in October and that should be the upgrade that will meet most rider's expectations.

Hi folks. I'm new here but just I received my new Sondors X front fork (Nov. 13.2018) and installed it today . I have only had one ride but it is a tremendous improvement. I have a Thud Buster seat post suspension on the rear. Now I can just glide over fields. The fat tires have fine floatation and the suspension takes care of the rest.

I can also put a little more air in the front tire now without things getting too harsh.  As you probably know fat bikes self steer when you lower the pressure to get a softer ride.

I have a similar front suspension fork and an old Thudbuster on my Thin 7.  That is very smooth on pavement and hard packed.  Now I am waiting for my new suspension fork for my Fold X. It just shipped.

One tip. There were some metal shavings in the head tube on my X. They should be carefully cleared out, with bearing and parts cleaned of old grease and new grease applied. BTW a new longer brake cable comes with the fork,   An easy installation- just keep the bearings and washers in the correct order and orientation.

Happy winter riding

Brian

I also received and installed my new air ride front suspension for my X and rode it this morning.  It is a noticeably better quality shock.  I'm glad Sondors decided to improve the quality of their front shocks and suggest they convert solely to this shock as opposed to the spring model.  Thanks Sondors!  I'm now patiently awaiting the delivery of my new XS bike...… 😀

WIN_20181114_14_42_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181114_14_42_25_Pro.jpg

Hi Folks.  Coincidentally I today  just received my new suspension fork for my Fold X. After installing the X fork yesterday this was a little easier. I did have to go online to find a proper procedure. There are some different procedures with the folding handlebar assembly.

Anyway I installed it.   It appears very similar to the new 2018  Sondo's X   upgrade except for the shorter dimensions- a quality product. I spayed the tubes with silicon lube  and rode it later today. 

The fork started loosening up and improved the ride- not as much as I had hoped - probably because of the hard tail and my aftermarket, low rolling resistant,  smooth tires that I am running . I swapped out the seat for a large, well sprung, model with a new jell cover,  and  gave it a test.  Much more comfortable but well padded isn't the same as well suspended. I will install a Thudbuster sometime soon or maybe a seat post, shock.

Anyway a nice  improvement in comfort and control- with a proper rear suspension solution to follow. The fork came with a new longer brake cable that wasn't really required. Also there was a Velcro strap that is apparently provided to hold the folding bike folded when you store it or travel with it- a nice touch.

Good stuff- worth the purchase

Rgds Brian