We've updated some things - please give us feedback when something isn't working as it should. e-Mail: user-support@sondorsforum.com Read more... ×

After only 35 miles my pedal fell off and the crank arm threads are totally gone on my Fold X ebike.  The threads on the pedal are packed with aluminum threads from the crank arm. Has anyone else had the same problem?Has anyone else had the same problem?

Yes, my wife's Fold suffered left crank arm failure at 25 miles. I may be able to get replacement parts from Sondors, and am actively looking for aftermarket replacements.

And the right crank arm failed today, same issue with the pedal stripping out. 

Anyone one know of aftermarket crankarms that have the proper clearance ?

As far as I know you need a whole new crankset I wasn't able to find just an aftermarket crank arm
I just had the same problem, I replaced the crankset with this on my Fold X

170mm and 46t is stock for fold X
Origin8 Track/SS Crankset
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I7REEI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A21IJWK8BH7UE6&psc=1 

I did replace the chainring with a larger one to change the gearing ratio (and had to get a longer chain due to this). 

I am not aware of a reason it wouldn't. The chainring is the same size for both. the 7 spd complicates things, so I would guess that anything that works for 7 spd also works for single

The 46T chainring on that O8 crankset is made for a 'fixie' which means a single speed with a 1/8" chain... So it would fit the single speed Fold properly and a 7-speed would not.  @Justin Slone  you likely never had a problem because you never used the wheel that came with it.  What you would experience is a sticky chain, or one that only fits the teeth halfway down.

I have that exact crankset and used it myself on my fat Sondors.  I upped my chainring size to a ... 60T.  Just mounted it on the outer side.  Given that crankset's arrow straight arms I am a little surprised it fits the fold but good to know as I think that is a very good quality budget crankset.

Yes sorry you are right. I replaced the chainring for my 7 speed with a mountain bike ring that keeps the chain from popping off. 

The bike shop suggested that the chainring that comes with that crank set would not work for a 7spd. 

I got my new crank arm set and just to be safe I went to my local bike shop and had them install it for my.  It turned out that the peddle was what caused the problem in the first place so I bought a new peddle. Problem solved 

Good info @Ken Glucksberg. I’ve seen other mentions of the pedals as suspect. I bought a set of flat platform pedals for my wife, and she likes them better than the folding. Which is good, as the pedals were destroyed as well.

I am still seeking a crankset, and, I did find a reference to a left crank arm that may work with Sondors:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075FM93Z4/?coliid=IX45N6RE81LC1&colid=2SLPB6T357794&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just received the Origin8 crankset in 165mm, and in comparing left crank arms, it looks like it is going to work. I need to have an extended garage session to verify.

Can't say I am surprised.  You need crankarms that offset outwards.

@nikwax regarding the crankarm you linked.  Here is a picture of it, along with a companion product of a slightly different design.  Can you spot the difference?

51toIKs1jfL._SL1002_.jpg

61oXtssqzjL._SL1000_.jpg

Compare the two holes where the crankarm connects to the spindle.  See the difference now?  You gotta pay attention to that or you are going to be VERY pissed off when you try and attach it and see the problem then.

Here is the one you linked:

http://a.co/gEKCoQo

And the one I linked in the second picture.  I am pretty sure you need the second type.  to be sure, remove the crankarm bolt from the crankarm and look at the orientation of the opening.

http://a.co/6bFUeyf