Chris Foster

Sondors fold X 7spd upgrade crank?

I, like another few here, have had the issue where the sondors crank threads stripped and the pedal started to fall out.

Edit: The bike is a 7speed Fold X, for anyone curious.

I've done some reading, and there were some messages about, suggesting POSSIBLE short thread depth.
I could try to fulfill my warranty, but I'd rather just get an upgraded crank or pair of arms.

Now, before I go exploring myself, does anyone have the torque settings for the crank main bolt?
And of course, what crank would go great with this bike? I was looking at this set, Pure Fixie Crankset Fixed Gear ... <- link to amazon.
Although a red crank set would look wild on a white frame with indigo wheels lol, I noticed it doesn't have the side wall things for the 7 speed. Can you just get those anywhere?
Great bike so far, and a REAL head turner. But it's like a nice sports car, only dudes are lookin' at it, haha!
Anyway, super thanks!
 :D

Edited by Chris Foster

Crank main bolt is commonly going to be quoted at 30-35 foot-pounds.    You should always re-check as they will always loosen. to a greater or lesser degree of frequency depending on how many miles you ride.  The instant they get rounded off from being too loose there is no recovery.  I ride daily and check mine about once every month.  I use 35 ft lbs.

Pedals should be hand tightened and then just snugged to the crankarm.  Preferably with a single pedal washer (thats a thing) between pedal and crankarm.  Just snugging the pedal is fine and they will not loosen given they are threaded specifically to prevent this.  Also, use anti-seize on the threads.  If you have no anti seize then some lithium grease is an acceptable alternative.

I ended up getting a local bike shop to helicoil my crank. So far it is holding up pretty well. At least I made it past the 2 bars on the original battery charge and still no issues.

I'm building my own crank now. Sondors support won't email me back from either of their email addresses. No big deal really. I knew it was like this going into the purchase.

The downside, is I have to shovel out $100+ dollars for a full custom crank set. Definitely over $100 if you include pedals, since one was damaged too. And foldable pedals are expensive. This will get me a bulletproof set up.... I hope. If nothing else, a set I can be proud of.

BUT... since the pedal and the crank threads were damaged so heavily, I sprayed the threads of both with white lithium grease, grabbed a long wrench, and forced the pedal into the crank. I'm sure this sounds very primitive of me lol, especially since they did not want to go back together properly.
However, this allows me to at least take the bike on short trips around the block, without standing up. I really really love my bike. I'll take it easy until I get the new crank parts and start assembling it.

Edited by Chris Foster

@Chris Foster you don't have to spend even remotely that much money to get a good crank set for your bike.  You have to remember that for a hub-motor'd ebike the main method of power transmission is the hub motor... which applies power thru the axle.  the drivetrain (crankset, chain, freewheel) is irrelevant and in fact you can pedal the bike without the chain attached and the bike will operate just fine that way.

Given this, the drivetrain can be expected to transmit only a fraction of the power that it would on an analog bicycle.  So your needs are *nothing* like they would be otherwise.

Also, if you use web site chat on the Sondors site you will find you get pretty much immediate support.

There is another thread here where I linked some Fold cranksets that other people are using that cost nothing like what you are quoting.  BTW I come from a cycling background so I understand where you are coming from wanting quality... just make sure you recognize that its a cosmetic want and not an actual need here for your bike.

Well, I can't find cheaper cranks within spec. I just want something that won't break again lol. Most crank sets are 44+ USD. I'll need pedals, foldable pedals are expensive, throw your own price on that. 

Then if I want a sprocket for a multi speed bike, that'll cost me a well. 

Even through sondors is 100 for crank and pedals. 

Their chat support told me to watch the video and email them lol.