Rear wheel wobbling

Go to solution Solved by Reddy Kilowatt,

Hi everyone,

For about a day or two I have a quite big wobbling problem coming from my rear wheel. It was barely noticeable, but got worse to the point where my wheel is touching the frame when I'm turning left or right, and I can feel the bike wobbling when I'm riding. I should mention that I added an extra seat at the back, and I'm using it daily to bring my girlfriend and myself to work (which I'm not doing anymore since this issue obviously). So far, I have tried to tighten the wheel as much as I could with my 18mm wrench, but that didn't change anything really. 

Do you have any idea: 

- What the problem actually is ?

- What replacement parts will I need to fix that ?

Since the motor seems to be fairly well integrated to the wheel axis, does that mean I might have to buy a new motor if let's say the axis is bended or something like this ? Is it worth bringing the bike to a bike shop regarding how particular this one is ?

Thanks in advance for you answers !

Having it looked at by a bike shop is a good idea.

If you've ruled the possibility that the hub is crooked in the frame, remaining possibilities could be that the wheel is bent or spoke tension could be way off. Bike shop should be able to diagnose and resolve either of those.

Edited by Hari Seldon
typo

Hi Yann, 

Actually if the hub was crooked in the frame’s  dropouts, as Hari suggests, the wheel wouldn’t wobble as it rotates but the whole tire would be rubbing in the same spot on the frame through out it’s rotation.  You didn’t say which Sondors Model you have but you’ve probably exceeded the weight limitation of your bike by carrying two.  Since you didn’t know what the problem is,  Hari and you are correct, that almost any quality bike shop can true your wheel, unless the rim is bent beyond truing, if that is the case you’ll need a new rim and probably new spokes and a complete rear wheel rebuild. Those two repairs,  are the least and most of an untrue wheel. If you intend to ride your girlfriend with you,  I’d suggest a rebuild with a double wall rim and quality 12 Gauge spokes,  to handle the weight, as I reported last week in the single or double wall rim thread. If you don’t, expect more rear wheel trouble. 

Going to a qualified bike shop is your only option.  Let them pick the brand of rim and spokes because their supplier may have specific brands they prefer.  

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Hi guys, 

Thank you very much for you answers, I have been to a bike shop and the guy thinks I need to rebuild the wheel. Problem is, he can't do it since he said that all the gear he has is for regular bikes, and I should contact the manufacturer. So I suppose my next move will be to order a new rim & spokes, as Reddy was advising. My bike is from 2016 (original fat one), does any one have any link for rim and/or spokes that I could use for reference ? Is there a particular thing to be careful with when ordering them ? I believe once I have the dimensions right, if I bring rim + spoke to a bike shop they might be able to fix it ? Thanks again for your help.

Edit: I had a look on the forum and saw another of you posts Reddy, I believe the dimensions I'm looking for are 26"x80mm. I came across this one on Ebay, would that fit ? (I live in Dublin, Ireland, so ebay.com will probably be too expensive in terms of shipping). I found this model, would that be alright ? 

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Alex-26-x-80mm-Fat-Bike-Rim-BLIZZERK-PRO-32H-Presta-Valve-Hole-850g-BLACK/281624562635?hash=item419221cbcb:g:BtYAAOSwEeFU~mdJ

Edit 2:

Or this one, way cheaper:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bike-Rim-559-80-Fat-Snowbike-36-hole-black/392007619296?hash=item5b457992e0:g:CA0AAOSwC-xay-V8

Also this model which is way cheaper but wider (96mm), so I guess that would require new tube and tire ?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bike-Rim-559-96-Fat-Snowbike-32-hole-black/391712736370?hash=item5b33e60472:g:OB4AAOSwXkJay-VJ

Edited by Yann
  • Solution

Hi Yann,

Any bike shop with a Parks Tool Profesional Truing Stand (the industry standard) and experience in building bicycle wheels ( but not the first shop you went to)  should be able to build your new wheel with the double wall (stronger / no holes, your second  rim choice not the first or third, which has holes, is weaker and the wrong spoke count 32) and only the bike shop can calculate the new spoke length.  I recommend 12 gauge spokes (the spokes that Bafang Specifies for all 8Fun geared hub motors) , for your extra weight application, Wheelsmith, Sapim or DT Swiss spokes and the matching companies brass HD long nipples. The shop will probably  have a brand they prefer and stock. All are top quality spokes. Let them specify the individual parts, they’ll have to warrant what they supply and won’t, what you supply. There are spoke length calculators online but let the shop do that also and supply the correct  spokes, it’s not for novice wheel builders. You can paint the rim before the build to match the Sondors Original color. 

You’ll still be able to use the same tire but I couldn’t find which tube type (presta or shrader valve) in the eBay listing but either will be fine but if it’s presta you’ll need a new tube. The wider new rims spoke spacing,  should also help in building a more robust new wheel. I used a 100mm rear rim on my own new wheel build so it would be more robust. Contact the seller. https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bike-Rim-559-80-Fat-Snowbike-36-hole-black/392007619296?hash=item5b457992e0:g:CA0AAOSwC-xay-V8 and ask them for the tube valve type  for that rim so you’ll know you have the right tube and if it’s presta you can get that from the shop that builds the wheel. 

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Josh Wardell
      Brake light system
      I completed my prototype brake light system a few weeks ago and just made a quick video demonstrating it. I'm curious if others would be interested in a polished version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWdGi-8JsaI

I'm using real Higo connectors so it is plug and play into the brake wires without modification.
      My prototype uses a separate 12v converter (I will also be powering a horn) but I will design it to be powered directly from any battery 30-60v.
      The tail light has a solid low light with occasional blink when powered, and goes to full brightness when either brake handle is pulled.
      I made my own light and bracket from bright waterproof LED strips, but I would probably bundle this with a real reflector light made for automotive use.
      Would anyone have an interest in this if I were to design a board and make a dozen or two of these? Any opinions or changes?
      Also, I tapped into the battery wires, I'm not sure I can make the battery plug and play because I believe the connector is different depending on fat or thin or 3rd party batteries, can someone confirm that? Or I could make a plug & play Y adapter for fat.

• By venkatvellaichamy
      Front wheel hub is broken
      Hi,
      I have original sondors with suspension. But when I was biking, suddenly my front wheel got broke and I could not bike anymore. Removing the front wheel and inspecting, I could see that the cone in the front wheel hub is broken. It seems it is a very rare case and do you guys know if I can fix this? Replacing the front Tyre is extremely pricey. 

Venkat

• By jb henderson
      My New Sondors Thin Front wheel Untrue?
      Hello,
      Im new here and pretty stoked for the most part, so far.  I received my black Sondors thin a few weeks ago and put it together myself.  Im a builder and shade tree mechanic, but not too savy with disc brakes.  This was my first time to have them.  Upon getting it all together, and yes, I watched the video and followed instructions... I heard the front grind on engagement. So I tooled around with it and made some adjustments. Still grinding.  I finally got it all laid out, and set the wheel spinning and noticed a significant wobble. took the brake completely apart and and rebuilt it, just in case, but it seems to be the wheel to me.  Clearly the caliper is hitting hard in one spot.  If its untrued, that means it came that way out of the box.  
      Any suggestions or similar stories?  Im also noticing some noise from the hubs.  Im ready to get serious with this bike, and start being prepared for troubleshooting and shortcomings reflected in the pp, as I want to use this as a commuter. Im in Down town LA.  Interested if anyone has recs for Sondors Friendly Bike Shops as well.
      Thanks for any insight,
      JB
    • By Birdy
      Hello guys,
      Not sure what the problem is on my Thin Sondors, when i break with the front brake the whole wheel go crooked to the left, please check my short video...
      Thank you in advance

Birdy
      IMG_0519.MOV
    • By alienmeatsack
      Alright, this rack is pretty straight forward once you understand it's parts, and goes on very easily and quickly. It comes with an assortment of extra hardware, so I figure I'd just point out what you do need and how to get it installed quickly. I do suggest you use some Locktite and maybe add your own lock washers to avoid bolts coming undone while riding due to vibration.
      What you will need:
      1 - 4mm Allen wrench
      1 - 5mm Allen wrench
      4 - Sondors Frame bolts (they supplied some but the Sondors ones are much prettier)
      1 - Ibera PakRak
      2 - Ibera Height Adjustment Rod + 2 short screws and washers (supplied)
      Optional:
      Loctite (Blue)
      Zip ties for cables that may rub along frame of rack or bike once installed
      If you keep your seat low, you will need to raise it or remove it for now. And if you have a hanging seat back, it will have to come off to make room to work.
      Ok. First off, loosen all of the bolts on the front assembly with the long curvy mounting arms, including the bolts that mount the arms to the connectors and to the rack itself. You want these to be free and loose for connecting to the bike.
      Next, connect the Height adjustment rods to the bottoms of the rack's carrier leg on each side at the first screw hole "C".
      Remove all of the bike's 4 frame Allen screws located both near the seat post and near the rear hub. Add a lock washer to these at this point if you wish, and put a dab of Loctite on each one's threads.
      Take the rack and extend the front mounting arms out to the point where the rubber stoppers on the underside are all that is left on the back of the mounts on the rack itself. I recommend removing these as they are going to be in the way, but they serve as a good reminder as to how far out the rods have to go. Make sure all of the Allen bolts are loose on the rack and the arms at this point.
      Hold the rack over the back wheel, extending the arms forward and level it more or less, then carefully install the 2 Allen bolts on each side at the rear bottom of the rack on the Height Adjustment rod, into the frame itself. Just screw them in enough to keep it on the bike, we'll tighten them down more once done.
      Next, carefully extend each mounting arm out, turning it's bend so that the hold and flat part that will go to the bike is aligned with the bike (see the photos) and gently install each of the two frame Allen bolts near the seat into the holes. Again, just do them tight enough to keep things on the bike. It should be a pretty rigid fit as it is now.
      Now you will want to move the frame as needed forward or backward and to the left and right to center and level it. Once you've done this, tighten the lower frame bolts down by the rear hub well.
      Now tighten the bolts on the upper mount arms to the bike, being sure to get them nice and tight, Loctite and locking washing installed if you can. At this point all that should be left is to make sure its straight and then tighten up both forward frame bolts that hold the mountain arms as well as the bolts that hold the arms to the frame that can slide left/right.
      Your frame is now installed. Give all the bolts a good once over for safety. Then put your seat back how you like it. If you have been using a hanging seat pack, it will most likely not fit unless you keep your seat pretty high. I had to remove mine and am not sure where to put it at this point since I keep my seat kind of low.
      Note that if you have any kind of light or reflector for the rear, there's a nice place on the back of the rack underneath to mount it. I am going to put my rear light that is normally on my post there once I fashion a bracket.
      Congrats, you now have a nice versatile rack to carry your goodies as you ride. And, if you take some plastic and cut it to fit and ziptie to the bottom of the rack, you've got a nice fender to boot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.