A 2018 Mid-Year Message From Storm Sondors Read more... ×
Matt

My speedometer isn't registering

4 hours ago, tino79 said:

Do you know how the magnets could be the problem without changing th

My speedometer and odometer are screwed up, and sometimes PAS cuts out, but my top speed isn't effected.

I don't hear any clunking sounds from the motor.  I'll listen more closely when I get home.  Attending a motorcycle Safety class to get my motorcycle endoresment.  It is a good class foreBike riders too.

Edited by Lee Love

Finally...after four months...the new display arrived in the mail last night and I swapped out the old one, this morning.

Sadly, I'm here to report that this did not resolve the problem.  My speedometer continues to read 0.0 miles per hour.  (and now the odometer has been reset to 0.0 miles traveled)

To recap:

1. Speedometer doesn't display a speed. Just stuck at 0.0 mph.
2. The motor/controller knows when I'm doing ~20 mph; the PAS shuts off at higher speeds >20mph, and kicks back on when I've slowed down <20mph.
3. I can spin the rear wheel...no clanking noise from loose magnets in the motor.

At this point, I have to believe that it must be the controller in the battery compartment.

And since this is now a problem on both of my Sondors X bikes (purchased at the same time), I have to believe that:
a) I'm not the only one having this issue.
b) Sondors is aware (this is purely speculation; I have had no indication that they acknowledge this issue)

I've emailed Sondors support; but don't expect to hear back this weekend.

I’m thinking your absolutely right about the bad controller.  We’ve had many bad controllers reported and replaced and mostly  the newest release of new Sondors Models. My suggestion would be spend the money for the aftermarket hot rod controller and older model KT LCD 3 Display from Velomobile Shop, that are proven  reliable and if either goes bad they will be replaced in days not months. You’ll get reliability and performance for just over 100 bucks. 

https://velomobileshop.com/collections/sondors-ebike-power-upgrades

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Thank you, Reddy. 

You're response was super quick...i just posted on another forum seeking advice on alternative controllers.  I've seen the Velomobile controller and display; but I'm interested to see if there are any new alternatives.  Color displays are hitting the market now.

Not that color will improve my ride; but I'm sure color will become the standard in the next year or so.

Anyway, lacking any other alternatives, i'll probably go the route of Velomobile.

As you said; they're reliable and reputable.

Thanks again!

-Matt

Thank you all for your replies. I turned the wheel, there is no clunking noise.

@Reddy Kilowatt you say the speed on the LCD has nothing to do with the speed limit. Yes, of course, but the controller has to know the actual speed, to stop assisting beyond 25km/h. I thought it will get the speed information from the magnets in the motor. Isn't that right? If not, how does the controller know the speed? Does it count the phase changes it does? And the magnets of the motor only report the position that the controller knows when to change the phase?

I ask because I am interested in knowing how it works and I ask because I don't want to change the motor if the controller or the LCD is defective. I will wait what sondors is telling me and than I maybe will go for the suggested controller and LCD if the problem is not the motor.

@Matt There is a coulor display on the site which Reddy posted. It will be ready for shipment in 2 to 3 weeks.

An additional information about my problem a have: Sometimes the motor hums a little bit. It's only for  a short time and after chaning speed and load it is normally again. It's not really loud but a little bit different to the normal sound and feeling. Is this normal because it's not a sinus controller or is this a hint for loose magnets that are only a litte bit out of position?

tino79 wrote “@Reddy Kilowatt you say the speed on the LCD has nothing to do with the speed limit. Yes, of course, but the controller has to know the actual speed, to stop assisting beyond 25km/h. I thought it will get the speed information from the magnets in the motor. Isn't that right?“

Not What I Said!    Nonetheless, I’ll elaborte. Just because the speed display on the LCD is registering -0-, it doesn’t mean that the controller is not receiving motor speed information or determining top speed as selected in setup. I suspect the anomalie, of the reoccurring malfunction of speed display on the newer KD51C is the result of poor communication and lack of compatibility testing between the newer controllers and LCD ver.  Anecdotal information, suggests to me that, since the speed display works as intended, in most of these cases at first, that incompatibility issuses exist between the two devices and something in the controller gets fried in the speed reporting circuit, to the LCD, since a fresh controller corrects the issue. 

My first post in this thread suggested it was a bad Controller. 

We never had this issue on bikes, before the newest models, with the newer LCD or Controller.  If you’re a test pilot, be one of the first adopters of the color LCD.  

For those wishing for more detailed information on eBikes, in general, and espically about individual components, review   https://www.electricbike.com/. and a good starting point https://www.electricbike.com/motor-tech-learn-the-terms-part-1/

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Today I talked to the Tech Support. They say it are loose magnets in the motor. I should send the inside of the motor to them to glue the magnets back, but then I will do 95% of the work. I can glue them back by myself if I want to do that. I think before I open the motor I go for the velomobile option and try if it works. And if it works not I will try to open the motor.

Edited by tino79

On 3/25/2018 at 3:17 PM, Matt said:

HI Folks,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my speedometer problem.   It's not registering...or registers a speed for a fraction of a second and flips back to 0.0.  This started yesterday.  I have a Sondors original model X.  Ordered and received in the beginning of January, 2018.  I've been ridding to work-and-back routinely, as long as its not raining.  I've put on about 600-700 miles so far.   I was out for a healthy ride yesterday when I looked down and noticed the speed registering 0.0 miles per hour.  I stopped, restarted the whole bike (powered off LCD; powered down the battery; powered it all back on again), and same thing.  If I watch the LCD, every now and again, the speed registers for a brief moment. (like half a second, it will flash a speed and go back to zero)

Pedal assist is working fine.  The 5 ranges of assist are working as expected.  
The battery indicator is fine.  The power assist indicator fluctuates based on assist or throttle levels.  
Odometer isn't working...for obvious reasons. (but I thought I'd point that out).
I've gone around the bike and cleaned it all up.  I thought maybe the speedometer was somehow fed by the pedal assist disk/magnet system; but evidently not.

Any thoughts on this? 
Where's the speed measured from?

Thanks!
Matt

Matt,    I received my LCD at the same time.   Several people getting their bikes at this time have had this problem.   I think Sondors had a defective batch.   I've been riding less without a speedometer.

One idea that made any sense are the magnets in the motor.   It is the response someone here received from Sondors.   But others have said their should be a rattling sound if this is true.      Mine is silent.     Maybe we should all report to Sondors and demand a recall.

Edited by Lee Love