Jim Siebel

2 Fold X Car Rack

I just finished my hitch rack for our two Fold X bikes.

Now we can take them on long trips without filling up the car.

They are welded up out of 2" X 1/4" aluminum "T" material I had around.  Heavy, but should work well. I'll post a photo with both bikes loaded after I get the other one out of the basement.

IMG_1448.jpg

@G.O.D. I can't understand why you cant see the photo  Anybody else with the problem?

Here are the photos of the finished product.

We found a barbecue  cover last fall and were just ready to trash it when I tried it on the bikes.  Works perfect!

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

It's not shown in the photo, but I have a dense foam block between the battery enclosures where they re also tied together.  That, along with attaching the wheels to the rack makes it secure.

Not shown in the photos, but I am also using 3/8” nylon rope instead of the useless Harbor Freight tiedowns shown. 

Edited by Jim Siebel

The frame is all welded out of 6061-T6 aluminum.  The steel tubing for the receiver is bolted to the carrier.

The runners are 2"X 2" X 1/4" "T" stock with 2" X 1/4" ends.  I cut the pieces on my band saw and had them mig welded locally.

I had the aluminum, but it would also work to use 2" X 2" X 1/8" steel angle, and easier to weld.

The 1" lightening holes reduce weight and make good tie down points without any significant structural loss.

We'll see about the cover.  It does a good job of hiding the contents. If it causes too much drag, I'll scrap the idea.

Edited by Jim Siebel