A 2018 Mid-Year Message From Storm Sondors Read more... ×

This information applies to all SONDORS eBikes shipped after December 2017:

Here is the setup manual for the new SONDORS LCD - According to Storm this is the new model for all bikes shipping from now on. 

new sondors lcd

Users Manual-KD51C-KDS.pdf (you need to be logged in to access this file)

Got the old LCD display?

Check out this topic: 

• Thanks 1

Hello,
The new LED will also be installed for Sondors X for Europe. I ordered in August 2017 and it should be delivered in April 2018.

I agree with JCJ.  I just received my LCD's last week and it appears that the PAS adjustments are optional.  

I received (2) 7 speed Fold X bikes on January 22, 2018 and the LCDs about a week later.  They want to take off way too fast in all gears at all PAS settings except "0".  It is not possible tp pedal them slower than 7 - 10  MPH in any PAS setting.

Edited by Jim Siebel
Wrong date

The photo in the KD51C manual looks like the LCD unit I received.  Starting at page 9 in the manual, I checked and mine is set with the 0-5 range option (which is what I want), but the one sentence ratio settings example isn't clear to me to determine where to start.  The settings currently loaded in the LCD are too high, so how do I determine the assistance range to be able to travel, for example, 7-8 MPH while pedaling in 7th gear?  I know it'll depend on how hard I pedal but no guidelines whatsoever are shown.  

Feedback: If all of these LCD's are shipped with default settings that mine has (and apparently Jim Siebel's also), the customer experience may not meet Sondors' goal(?).  I rode my wife's Rad Rover (I know, but it was her choice not mine) and the PAS ranges are spread evenly and are noticeably progressive from 1 - 5.   

If someone has proper gradual PAS settings in their LCD, please provide the values. 

Thanks!!

JCJ,  I was able to set the PAS levels on my KD51C.

Per page 9 of the instructions, go to the SC screen and follow the instructions on page 10.  I find the instructions a bit confusing, but I was able to set 0-5 (default) and adjust each level as follows.  1-10, 2-20, 3-50, 4-70, 5-96. The default settings are 1-50, 2-61, 3-73, 4-86, 5-96 as shown on page 17 of the manual.

It snowed this morning, so I will not know if it works until the snow is gone and it's a bit warmer.  I was in Florida last month, but had the bikes shipped here to Illinois, so I was't able to test out the functions.

The remaining settings are hard for me to understand, so, I hope someone comes up with a better explanation.

Reddy slapped my wrist for posting in the wrong spot, but I guess I also have to learn how to properly post.

Edited by Jim Siebel
Changed to JCJ's settings. They look better.
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'm having the same experience with my late 2017 and the KD51-C display. Jim, I'll definitely try your settings today!

1 hour ago, nikwax said:

Thanks, I'm having the same experience with my late 2017 and the KD51-C display. Jim, I'll definitely try your settings today!

Let me know how it works out.  I probably won't be able to try mine for a couple weeks or so.

I just set mine to:

1-10

2-20

3-50

4-70

5-95

I took it for a quick ride and this made the difference I was looking for.  When I go slow, I want to go real slow, so this range works for me, and I have the #3 setting at 50% for a wider range than the factory settings.  I'm glad owners can modify these for their own personal likes.

Thanks Jim! 

Jim, you're right on the money here. Having all the PAS setting biased at the high end was indeed the problem. I had to muddle through the settings and the opaque manual, but got it in the end. Now with 1 and 2, I'm actually pedaling the bike rather than having it drive me. Thanks so much!

I am so glad to hear this! As I mentioned before, it will be awhile before I can check it out. Thanks for the info. I think we may now have it figured out. 

I also changed my previous post settings to those JCJ came up with.  I wasn't aware that we could go below 25% and think his settings will be better to try.

Jim, for me, 10 would be way too low. As I'm riding  my Orig now, your previous 1 value is perfect for most riding, I switch to 2 when the battery is depleted and power drops. When I hit hills, then 3-5 work quite well. I may fine tune it a bit, but I like your original settings on my bike.

I've got some street tires coming soon, perhaps those will lower the rolling resistance and then lower PAS may work. I love how configurable this is!

Thanks, nikwax.  with 14" of snow, I haven't been able to try my settings yet.  I'll try what I now have and adjust accordingly when the weather improves.

I have the new LCD on my 2017 that was purchased in January.   Can't wait for a video to come out.  The PDF is mostly gibberish.

I have a Thin7 with the battery upgrade.   The person who shipped me the LCD said he changed the top speed to 25mph for me.   When I have the wheel off the ground and throttle on, top speed indicated is 19to20.   Shouldn't it be a little faster with no resistance?  What is the speed on yours with the back wheel of the ground (what model and battery)  We have snow.  The road is clear so I might try the bike with LCD out, between salted puddles.

Thanks!

Lee, you have a Thin 7 speed with the upgrade 36V 10.5ah battery?  And you bought Sondors  KT51C LCD with the top speed setting restriction removed? With a 36V battery, Remember Voltage = Speed and Ah = Torque & Acceleration. 22mph sounds about right for that combination. Besides Sondors misleading performance numbers there just isn't a higher top speed unless you upgrade to a higher amperage Controller either/and/or a higher voltage Battery. 

I'm guessing you bought the Sondors KT51C LCD from a facebook individual?

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

On 2/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Lee, you have a Thin 7 speed with the upgrade 36V 10.5ah battery?  And you bought Sondors  KT51C LCD with the top speed setting restriction removed? With a 36V battery, Remember Voltage = Speed and Ah = Torque & Acceleration. 22mph sounds about right for that combination. Besides Sondors misleading performance numbers there just isn't a higher top speed unless you upgrade to a higher amperage Controller either/and/or a higher voltage Battery. 

I'm guessing you bought the Sondors KT51C LCD from a facebook individual?

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Yes.   I tested it yesterday and it worked well.  20mph is plenty fast enough.   At the end of my ride, I turned off the LCD to carry over a snowbank form the street to my sidewalk and when I turned it back on, the battery indicator showed empty.  I looked at the settings and somehow, all the battery indicatores 1thru5 showed 46 volts.  I changed those to 20, 25, 30, 36, 40 and Got five bars on a fully charged battery.  Then I freewheeled and found my top speed was on 16mph.   Tried to open top sped to see if it was changed, but couldn't find the way to open wheel size and top speed.   I must have accidently change another setting, because the freewheel speed now reads 18mph, but you can see it is turning much slower.
            It is hard to follow the PDF directions to open tire size and top speed.  Anybody know how to do that?  And is there a list of settings, to see if I inadvertently changed something?   Thanks!

P.S., I disconnected the LCD and put the dongle back on and the wheel turns normal.  So it is either the LCD or I messed up some settings trying to calibrate the battery.    I did change pedal assist from 1-5 to 1-9 

P.S., I disconnected the LCD and put the dongle back on and the wheel turns normal.  So it is either the LCD or I messed up some settings trying to calibrate the battery.    I did change pedal assist from 1-5 to 1-9 

Okay! found tire size and top speed. Tires was set to 30 not 28. fixed that. Somehow, I have the power settings set wrong because the wheel is only turning about 8mph

Okay, I found out what happen.  The undocumented command to access voltage settings is  "+" and "i"  . I think I hit both keys on accident because I was wearing gloves and reset voltage without knowing it.   I set it to 36 and 10 and have perfomance back.  Have more speed freewheeling to with Max Speed set to 45.   Originally freewheeling top speed was 20mph.  Now it is 25mph.   
 Does anyone know if here are commands to recalibrate the motor power?   My gage is not showing up on the LCD.

Thanks,

Lee

The weather finally allowed me to try out my PAS levels yesterday.

After a short ride, I feel that my settings are going to work out well.  Perhaps a bit of tweaking later, but for now 10, 20, 50, 70, 95 looks good.

This LCD can be set to 9 PAS levels, but I think five are enough
I am set to 15/30/50/75/99

What is your "freewheel" speed?  Lifting back tire up and opening the throttle.  Since upping top MPH and correcting tire size,   I am getting 25mph.  Can't wait to try it on the road.   I am not getting a motor power reading.  Do you get one "freewheeling:?

Edited by Lee Love