curtis

Sondors X Handlebar replacement

Hello @curtis and welcome to the Sondors Owners Forun. We're glad you found us and enjoy your stay.

There are many options posted here on the forum and you will find most of them listed here:

https://sondorsforum.com/search/ using handlebar in the search .

You can use the stock bar and stem with a steering tube extension to raise the height easily. 

Personally,  I use  a 3T carbon fiber bar with a slight rearward sweep and an extended 3T CF 110mm reach stem with 17° rise. 

If you go Carbon Fiber, buy Quality Name Brand and avoid cheap Chinese components which are not sturdy enough nor intended  for our heavy Fat Tire  eBikes. The problem with cheap CF is that if it breaks in a crash, it breaks in sharp shards that can impale . 

image.thumb.jpeg.b112ca38c3eb2ae18c63986db5553b51.jpeg

Happy Holidays

image.jpeg.cf2e48c846cb6421ec11823ad229f7af.jpeg

Reddy

I used this:

HTB1HpT2MpXXXXXGXFXXq6xXFXXXy.jpg?size=4

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/brand-BXT-carbon-fiber-bicycle-handlebar-matt-glossy-mountain-bike-carbon-handlebar-600mm-720mm-mtb-bicycle/32654860885.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.PYV0Pg

I did the 720mm wide version in matte finish.  I have actually tried several and this is the one that stuck.  You can also try and use a stem riser as a great many other Sondors owners do, but the more I read about those and their safety the more I am happy I didn't go that route.  Lastly, look to a headset with an incline.  A 7-degree incline is common.  A 15 or even a 30-degree rise is available.  For my most recent ebike build I did a 60mm, 30-degree rise specifically to give myself a little lift as the 760mm titanium downhill bar I am using is flat as a board.

People in general love to comment on our Sondors. That opens up a conversation about what and where (Sondors Owners are the Best Advertisement). Because I park inside at my Grocer's (have a Safe & Secure, dedicated spot) I get the most comments and queries from women; i.e. "Cool Bike", "I've Never Seen a Bike Like That".  A Sondors might be responsible for increased sex appeal. )) image.thumb.jpeg.ce34f4db37324599e2c17d2e0f53f351.jpeg

Happy Holidays

image.jpeg.cf2e48c846cb6421ec11823ad229f7af.jpeg

Reddy

Well, when not sloshing through bayou mud my Fold is often seen inside a local pub near me. I do get a lot of questions about the bike but usually from aging beer drinkers like myself. Still, those bars and stem gotta help...! 

Edited by Magus

Howdy @Allons and welcome to the Sondors Owners Forum, enjoy your stay. Post pictures of your new modified Sondors X to our Gallery.. Although our Sondors Fat tire bikes are tall, the top tube is too short for many of us and getting the bar into a more comfortable and upright position  requires some adaptation. Looks like you've found a nice solution.

image.jpeg.0595cadf17bfa972eab184062b667f3b.jpeg

Reddy

6 hours ago, Allons said:

I added suspension forks and a Jones SG 2.5 Loop H Bar to my Sondors X and it helped.  

I wound up having wrist issues after a car hit me on a different bike, and I went to a Jones bar on my latest project for the added hand positions and the ability to essentially sit upright by putting your hands at the ends of the 710mm bar.  I did the SG bar (Straight Gauge tubing... less expensive) but I didn't choose the lift version like you did.  I did the lift with a Ritchey 30-degree stem.  I also used the ESI Extra Chunky grips which Jones sells and they are tailor-made for these bars.

I took a set of cruiser handlebars off a Schwinn I have and added a spacer to mount them.   I like the upright riding position they allow and makes for an easy standup position.

20180225_162205.jpg

On 3/1/2018 at 3:56 PM, JCJ said:

I took a set of cruiser handlebars off a Schwinn I have and added a spacer to mount them.   I like the upright riding position they allow and makes for an easy standup position.

20180225_162205.jpg

This is really helpful. I'd love to add some Cruiser handlebars to a Sondors Original.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about size issues I might have? For instance, will the electronics and brake cables be long enough? Sorry for the silly question. And perhaps a set of Cruiser handlebars that anyone here could recommend?  Any help is much appreciated!

My cruiser handlebars are just a set off a Schwinn bike I have and I had to add a set of bushings/spacers since they were 1" diameter.  There's plenty of bars on the market, you'll just need to determine which style, riser height, etc that you want.  The wiring on the handlebar control was short so I relocated it down the bars a little but all other controls (brakes, throttle, 7-speed twist) had plenty of slack.  Here's a photo:

Handlebars.jpg

On 3/2/2018 at 6:29 PM, JCJ said:

Nice find, thanks Biknut!  I think I'll order a set.

did you put a set of these on your bike?  if so, how'd it work out?