Matt Willett

Battery Upgrade For First Generation

Hi I bought a Sondors original off Craigslist but don't know what year this is and want to buy the bigger battery to get more distance, and hopefully faster speeds. I've seen other posts on this topic so I apologize if this is repetitive, just want to make sure I buy what is the correct setup for my bike. Mainly can I just buy the extended battery off Sondors.com?  If I do can I just swap that with the battery I currently have, or do I also need to buy another controller?  

20170811_065502.jpg

Hello @Matt Willett and welcome to the owners forum. We're glad you found us and enjoy your stay.

The Sondors upgrade won't offer you any better performance rather than increasing distance. The slight increase in Torque and Acceleration  won't be noticeable without having the LCD display.

There are three main Sondors aftermarket support online retailers. All three have battery upgrades for your bike. But to really extend the performance you'll need to buy a more powerful controller, either 20amp or 25amp and the aftermarket LCD to utilize the full potential of your present battery or an aftermarket more powerful battery. 

These are the Vendors: 

https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/

https://velomobileshop.com/collections

https://electrobikeworld.com/t/sondors-e-bike

please review the wealth of topics and info in this forum.

image.jpeg.f4c0624b2dc6d3f299c2db8744841cda.jpeg

Reddy

Hi there thank you for the reply. Just to confirm, is the controller on Luna at 20 amp easentially the same as the controller on electrobike, 25 amp?  What is the main difference with 20amp vs 25amp?  Also the one on electrobike comes with Higo connectors but noticed that the one on Luna does not mention anything about Higo connectors.  Are these both literally swap out my old controller,put new one in basically plug and play?

Hi Matt,  No they are different by the amount of current they deliver to the motor. But the Luna 25amp hot rod controller is the same amperage as the ElectroBikeWorld, 25amp controller. https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/storm-hot-rod-25-amp-controller-big-36-52v/  I  can't say they are identical without compatring the data plates but both are plug and play for your Sondor's with Higo connectors and are interchangeable. I used the 25amp Luna before EBW released theirs, with my stock battery in my Indiegogo original Fat and it increases Acceleration, Torque with a few mph increase in Top Speed. Performance increases are best with new fully charged batteries. The one disadvantage of the higher current delivery Controllers, is that using the extra performance will drain battery reserves faster so just like trying to eke out max distance, with a light foot on a cars accelerator, you'll need to become proficient using throttle and pas setting.  I only use my throttle slightly at launch or blipping it during low speed, tight corners or trail navigation. Now would be the time to upgrade your battery and add an aftermarket LCD. You can't unleash the potential, of even the  stock Sondor's controller, without the LCD. To take advantage of the upgrades you really need all three.  

I'm kinda sold on ElectroBikeWorld because of excelent customer service and they have all the upgrade products that we use and are formost on keeping up with our brand and new bike releases.  https://electrobikeworld.com/products   If the investment is a little steep all-in-one, upgrade the Controller and LCD first and the major battery investment last, while you deplete you stock battery further. It's also worth considering the 52v batteries over the 48v's because of their 10% better performance. 

This was my Original back then with stock battery and how I mounted the 25amp controller.

image.thumb.jpeg.b070a13715a3cfd5677c75f55f55e9b2.jpeg

The 52v battery, 35 amp controller, 750watt Bafang motor,  Double Wall 26x 80mm front rim built with Sapim 12 gauge spokes and Vee Rubber Mission Command 26x4.0" front wheel, Double Wall 26x100mm rear rim, built with Sapim 12 guage spokes and Vee Rubber Mission Command  26x4.7" rear wheel. 56T chainring, 7 speed, Electric Black Lightning, now. Cover protecting my Brooks Special Copper B-17 Saddle. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c25d46cda334dadb9ceb409d1c084a4c.jpeg

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Actually sierraebike.com is offering only complete ebike solutions online.  The owners decided to keep velomobileshop.com as their site for component sales and split off the ebikes and support for the local store to sierraebike.com. 

I just bought a frame and battery bagf from them.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:30 AM, Reddy Kilowatt said:

one disadvantage of the higher current delivery Controllers, is that using the extra performance will drain battery reserves faster

Reddy, do you have a feel for how much the range is affected with the higher-capacity controller (assuming the same riding habits)?

Hey Drumbeats, uh....Browbeat, Dave? or Booster. )) That’s really subjective based on so many factors. When I switched to a 25amp controller on my 36 V Original Fat,  I quickly learned to take my charger with me on routes to town, from my rural lakeside home, that previously would just about drain the battery, as I approached home. After the switch, I’d stop for a tasty refreshing beverage, and  the coffee shop’s WiFi  and charge my battery for an hour  or so, to make sure I’d make it home on my usually heavily  burdened Fat, filled with groceries or 50 pound bag of dog food. I also refined my use of throttle, to just launch from a dead stop, and regulate PAS setting to minimum and to 0 on every downslope to conserve energy. Any watt you don’t use, is one you won’t have to replace. I didn’t ride that configuration very long and soon upgraded to a 52v 16.5ah rack battery, so I can’t really put an accurate  percentage on the change of range because of the higher amp delivering controller but suffice to say I had to change my habits or less be pedaling without power on the last leg of my journey. 

Every rider uses and rides  their Sondors differently and environmental factors play a large part in range. Wind, hills and a users fitness, and if they’ve been a lifelong cyclist, returning to it or just joined the fraternity because of fitness concerns for their aging...ah, chassis.... or because of the  Electric Advantage. 

But I’d say that if I’d  added your Booster Battery to my Original, back when I switched to the 25amp Hot Rod Controller, my concerns about making it home from my errands to town, would not have been a concern, unless it burned up my bike

image.jpeg.0595cadf17bfa972eab184062b667f3b.jpeg

Reddy

formerly Teetotaler. ))

When I first laid eyes on a Sondors, the first thing that came to my mind was how easy it would be to hide a huge triangle battery in there.  Why not take advantage of that?  With this 30ah 48v battery I can ride 40 to 100 miles, it just depends how fast I want to go.

48v 30ah.jpg

• Thanks 1