biknut

Off The Strand, Southern California Beaches

My wife's first ride with the new bars seemed to be a total success. No complaints. From my vantage point on my bike, these bars look kick ass.

Buffy on her Fold with rack.jpg

It definitely puts the bike in an entirely different light.  Kind of opens up all sorts of new possibilities.  We need to find a gel banana seat.  Then use the rack bosses and fab up a couple of Y mounts that slip over them for strength and boom. ... electric Stingray.

edit:

oooohhh   ...   https://www.amazon.com/26-Gel-Pad-Banana-Seat/dp/B015QHI4CM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503492200&sr=8-1&keywords=gel+banana+seat

Edited by MattRobertson

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Senegal said:

Where can I purchase a bar like this 

It's a Box Components Maximus bar with 8.5 rise. Check eBay, and Amazon

handle bars 8.5.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, Hal Nordlin said:

That looks great!

Looks like you replaced the saddle as well? Which saddle are you using.

Would love to see the banana seat!

Hal I got the seat on eBay. It's not to bad a seat, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.  The taillight works pretty well, and seems pretty well made, and is easy to operate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAWAY-C99-Comfortable-Wide-Bike-Seat-Memory-Foam-Padded-Leather-Bicycle-Saddle/122483183499?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just installed new street tires with flame tread pattern. These are 50tpi, 35psi tires with a street tread for less rolling resistance, and quieter operation. Their size is 20 x 4.25  1822mm circumference.

cool bull tire 2.jpg

Moving right along, after installing both tires yesterday evening, and a new freewheel, I stayed up until 4:30 in the morning installing this fender.

Fold with rear fender 2.jpg

Fold with rear fender.jpg

• Like 1

All you need to convert you Fold to conventional handle bars is, first buy some bars you like. My advise is they need to be at least 8 1/2" high or higher. Then buy a 1 1/8" stem with the right handle bar clamp size for your bars. My stem is 1 1/8" x  31.8 x 50mm

Your bars can still fold by loosening the handle bar clamp and rotating the bars back, but that will require a tool. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, jakmak said:

Would a stem riser like the one below work on the fold?

I like the look of the BMX bars but I would like to keep some height to the bars.

Delta Pro Stem Riser

Probably not. The Fold has a special kind of top bolt that won't work with that riser. I would recommend just getting handle bars that are tall enough.

Hey BikNut,

Can you please post a photo of the bike folded... without turning any screws?  I'm curious how compact it is with the handle bars in the normal fixed position.  I'm not looking at transporting in a car, rather going with the Fold so I can park it inside a boat.  The factory handlebars drive me crazy... they just look so blah.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, SD-Realtor said:

Hey BikNut,

Can you please post a photo of the bike folded... without turning any screws?  I'm curious how compact it is with the handle bars in the normal fixed position.  I'm not looking at transporting in a car, rather going with the Fold so I can park it inside a boat.  The factory handlebars drive me crazy... they just look so blah.

Thanks!

You know what? This thing's a beast folded. In folded mode it weights a ton. The best way to move it around is in normal riding configuration. The only reason you'd fold it is to stuff it in the trunk or back seat of a car. 

This is the best picture I have on hand. From where you can see the bottom of the bars in this picture, they go up another 8 inches. When the bike is folded it's actually a little easier to move around with the bars it place.

folded.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I can definitely imagine the bike seeming like a ton of dead weight when trying to move it while folded. Makes sense that it's a beast. I just sold my Sondors Original fully loaded because it was a huge beast, when trying to get it into my boat... it's a really big boat, but the original is a massive bike and it was simply not possible to get it past the pilothouse. This may be a beast but I think the ability to fold in the pedals, and at least with the stock handlebars (which I hate the look of) I could get the bike into a much more narrow form, even if not folded in half.  Thank you for commenting on the size while folded.