Ryan Gleim

Inside Sondors Triangle battery case

I couldn't find any pictures of the inside of the Sondors Triangle Battery case, so I thought I'd post some pictures here.  I'd really like to keep this case because it looks nice and fits into the bike case nicely, plus it has a lock, so I'm trying to determine if I can just upgrade the pack inside the case.  There is a bunch of empty spots, so this has room to be a bigger, more powerful pack, which is probably how they do the stock 48V packs.

IMG_20171022_101221.jpg

IMG_20171022_101234.jpg

IMG_20171022_101250.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks very much for this look inside.  You're right this hasn't been documented publicly before.  Two different types of cells in that pack?

Seems like you would have to do a whole lot of dremel work to preserve that case and increase the cell count.

• Thanks 1

Actually, the blue one's aren't batteries.  They are just standoffs for internal frame.  I inspected them and they aren't connected to anything.  There's actually a ton of open slots, even in the area where the red batteries are.  I can take it apart again and verify what type the red batteries are.

• Thanks 1

Here are some more pics of the inside.  This is a 36V 14ah battery pack for reference.  I assume, based on the label, that the red cells are panasonic batteries.  The blue cells are not batteries, but just standoffs to support the internal pack frame.

IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

• Thanks 1

And damn good ones at that in terms of storage capacity.  Not so great on high output but they are just about top of the food chain for capacity.

Edited by MattRobertson

On 10/27/2017 at 10:22 PM, Lindsey Nguyen said:

The red cells are Sanyo GA which are made from Panasonic. They are the high capacity 3500mAh cells.

I raced radio controlled cars from 1997 - 2007 and didn't know Panasonic purchased 50% of Sanyo in 2009.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:02 AM, MattRobertson said:

And damn good ones at that in terms of storage capacity.  Not so great on high output but they are just about top of the food chain for capacity.

For RC cars, Sanyo and Panasonic were the only sub C size cells available. Sanyo had been in the RC market back since NiCd cells. Panasonic entered the RC market with NiMH cells, competing against Sanyo NiMH cells. Panasonic cells were known for run-time. Sanyo cells were known for punch and durability.

For a Sondors ebike, which is a fairly low-draw application, a GA is plenty.  Probably the best cell you can put into that battery pack.  They are rated officially to a 10a discharge rate but testing has shown them to be good for 7a per cell tops.  But thats still plenty for the kind of amps we are pushing here and that 3500mah capacity per cell is about top of the heap in terms of capacity.

This is a great example of choosing the right cell for your application.  Would not surprise me one bit if the Sondors mountain bike uses something a little different.  A PF cell is inexpensive and good for 10a.  Probably a good choice for the low factory-set output of the mid drive motor set to Class 1 levels.

Good night, I wanted to buy a battery, but it is discontinued, without knowing much, I see that you are investigating, there is someone to help me find my battery, thank you

B1170182-D60A-4CD9-9737-DDE864F695CF.jpg

Edited by Sergio A. Valdes

You’ll have to go to Sondors.com and have them notify you when this battery is back in stock. It replaces your old battery.
By the way what is the voltage you measure with your multimeter on your old battery and why does it need to be replaced?

https://shop.sondors.com/products/thin-extended-range-triangle-battery?_pos=33&_sid=51d658f4b&_ss=r