Hello all. I just got a Sondors x fat tire bike. It has the 17.5ah battery as opposed to the original with the small 8.5 or something like that. My question is ..do any of you know how it would work if I got one of those 54000 portable ac outlet power banks. They are only a few pounds and you can plug the Sondors charger in it and Maybe connect it to the bike as you ride and it pulls its power from there before it takes it from the battery. These power banks would hold about three full charges if I do the math correctly. Any thoughts about this ?

Hey @Aaronjagger, Welcome to the Sondors Owner Forum....Glad you found us and enjoy your stay. You'll .have to provide more information and a link to the specific device to evaluate. Mostly power banks are designed for portable/mobile device power back up. I carry one in my panniers as emergency power for my phone's, iPad and GPS but integrating it into the Sondors power curcuit is not anything I can visualize or speak to without more info. 

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

I can appreciate your desire to step outside the box but I'd advise you to stick to conventional eBike technology and our time proven battery options, espically with that kind of investment. Intergrating that option into the Sondors system is problematic..

Here are a few battery options to upgrade or add to your existing power source that are much better options and nonproblematic. 

https://sierraebike.com/products/48v-20-3ah-triangle-lithium-battery

https://electrobikeworld.com/t/sondors-e-bike

https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/

i would also suggest reading some of the excelent articles and 18650 li ion battery primers here, at electricbike.com for understanding on the eBikes current requirements (not measured in mA).  

https://www.electricbike.com/introduction-lithium-18650-batteries/

I'm relatively sure that the time proven and offered options for power have not been superseded in the short term. We are all waiting for lithium Air batteties though.  The best info on Sondors Battery tecnology and implementation, are contained right here on the Forum, even including inexpensive hover board Li Ion add on packs. 

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

20 hours ago, Aaronjagger said:

Hey thanks for the response. Yes I’m familiar with the typical power backups. I think this might work. Tell me what you think. 

https://chargetech.com/product/plug-portable-power-supply/

It doesn't have a prayer of working :-)

This entire class of product is not something you should be bothering with.  You just have to dig a little to realize why.

Your Sondors X battery is a nominal 48 volts.  'Nominal' means 'more or less on average' and an actual 48v battery is fully charged at 54.6 volts, and dead as a doornail (as in throw it away) at 39.0v.  Here is a charge chart that shows a lot of detail on this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1HCw-kZOfo8pdpjXWLjaK5VaTN5axZFjDMcuTpb_b8/edit#gid=0

So... with voltage out of the way, what about amperage?  Your stock 'X' controller sips 7 amps continuously and allows a peak chug of 15 amps for intervals of just a few seconds.  A 54.6 volt freshly charged battery thus can feed out up to 15 amps of power to the motor which generates 819 watts.  Great stuff.  But that 7/15 controller is there only because of legal limitations to bicycle power levels.  Your bike can take a lot more than this and this is why 25a controllers are out there and so popular.

With me so far?  volts times amps equals watts, and 800 watts is ... decent.

What can this battery do for you?  Its meant to run two ordinary household plugs which aren't usually drawing much.  A laptop ain't much compared to an ebike motor.  Where are its specs?  Buried at the bottom of the page.

24 volts.   1.8 amps.  Thats not even enough voltage to make it a dead battery by your bike's standards.  Your ebike battery will charge IT not the other way around.  And you are paying $350 for this privilege.

Stick to ebike battery solutions.  They are MUCH more powerful even in their weaker forms than any household electronics type tools.

Edited by MattRobertson

Matt Robertson ,... I freakin love your response.!!

you rock ! Yes I fully understand now how this whole battery thing works. The numbers can be so confusing. If I can ask one more thing. What in your opinion is the best battery for range for the Sondors x I can buy. I’m not interested so much in power and speed .i just want the longest highest capacity batteries available. I went on the Sondors site and they don’t seem to sell extra triangle batteries.  

No, they don't have any extra batteries in stock yet.  

Lindsey Nguyen of electrobikeworld.com probably has the most users in the various Sondors user groups, particularly the Facebook group... as in hundreds.  The highest capacity 48v battery is sold by her.  As in 20.5ah.  However, her L3 battery - which is 52v - is only a bit more.  You could just dial down the wattage a smidge on your LCD and thus use a little less PAS or throttle and gain a bit more range.

You could also buy one of the Luna batteries, which will also fit... but the new Sondors battery boxes are a different shape, those batteries when available are more expensive.  I know Lindsey has mapped the new boxes out and is well-capable of literally filling them.  What do I mean by that?  She can custom build batteries to your specs.  She has one in production for me right now for my Cyclone build, where I specified the physical size I needed, the high output cells I wanted to use and the Battery Management System parameters.

I'll ping her over on FB and if she's around she can come by and say hi.  However that web site I list above has batteries that will work well, pretty much out of the gate.

Hi guys,  all of my triangle battery packs will work for the fat tire Sondors. The newest model now use the triangle battery so you'll have to do some cutting of the plastic molding inside to make it fit. My LT48 14Ah triangle battery is the only one that does not need any cutting to fit inside the battery box. I'm working on a 52v 17.5Ah triangle battery that will fit the Sondors X and original fat tire box without any cutting. I should have it available within 2 weeks.

If you want a 20.3Ah battery then I recommend getting my L48 or L3. Cutting the plastic is super easy using a dremel tool with a cutter bit. Here's one we just did for a friend last week. That is a 35amp controller you see in the pic.

20170802_190529.jpg

20170803_202904.jpg

I will have to get one of these batteries for sure. Matt do you think that something like the power bank I linked would be good for when the bike is off and charging it out in the street when not near a power source? Or is it not strong enough. Not to be used while running the motor but turned off and just left to charge. 

@Aaronjagger no that power bank is utterly worthless.  Like I said... its a dead battery to your ebike.  Electrical current flows both ways along a wire, strongest to weakest, so your ebike battery will pump power into the power bank.  Not the other way around. 

And since the ebike battery even in its weakest state is so much more powerful, it will likely - literally - blow up that power bank.  Equalizing unequal power packs is no joke and something that has to be done very carefully.  Don't go there.

Edited by MattRobertson

Hello Guys i been read all you chat about the SANDORS X 
i Have 2 The SONDERS X Folder & SONDORS X

But I Looking For 2 SOLUTIONS
1) i Looking For Recharge the bike As i Ride 
and i have a aidea is any 

bicycle-charger-kit-bottle-dynamo-electric-generator 
The Charge The Bike As you Running Anyone Have a idea!

YEEEP The Have to Be 52V or 48V Any idea if is any product like this?
or How can make some like that ?

Thank Guys

nokia-bicycle-charger-kit-bottle-dynamo-electric-generator.png

Edited by Alcom18

The Second Problem is i Looking for a
Throttle Sondors X with (3 pin HIGO plug)

For SANDORS X &
SANDORS X Folder 

NO AT: Thumb Throttle Sondors 3 pin HIGO plug
That is Bad Product

Any Idea?
Thanks 

@Alcom18, welcome to the Sondors Owners Forum, enjoy your stay. No such generator or solar option, for recharging as we ride, exists for the high capacity li-ion batteries we  use. You can learn about the batteries we use in our bikes by reading here: https://www.electricbike.com/introduction-lithium-18650-batteries/

You can find throttle options here. https://sierraebike.com/products/throttles

Along with battery and controller options at both: https://sierraebike.com/collections         https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/

https://lunacycle.com/18650-ebike-battery-pack/

A lot of your questions can be answered by reviewing this forum in depth. 

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Like 1

Reddy Kilowatt  Thank For The fast & quick Respond 

ABOUT : the THROTTLE
I Purchase Various model over Differents websites and ALL HAVE 6 CONTACTS

i need with Just 3 higo Conector

so i buy with sierraebike (Kyle) and don't work the Controller & the Throttle 

So That is not the option

And in This Web . https://sierraebike.com/products/throttles 

the dont specific don't say the have 3 connectors

So i Not Sure at this point

THE ANY ONE KNOW
ABOUT The generator or solar option, for recharging as we ride, exists for the high capacity li-ion batteries we  use on the Panasonic SANDORS X ?

THERE ARE NO ONBOARD RECHARGING OPTIONS FOR OUR BATTERIES WHILE YOU RIDE!

Unless you pull a trailer with  Petroleum Fuel Generator, but our controller system does not allow charging and draining the batteries at the same time. You could charge an additional battery and switch them out at intervals. 

https://electrobikeworld.com/products/thumb-throttle-sondors-3-pin-higo-plug

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

The laws of physics say you cannot create energy without taking it away from something else.  So if we ignore the fact that the light generator you are picturing is for a teeny weeny eeny itty bitty incandescent bulb, and if you are running at 100 mph it will still not do much of anything... the fact is it creates drag on the wheel.  And that drag on the wheel needs power to overcome the drag.  So you will slow your bike down and decrease its range... so you can charge your battery and bring its range back up to baseline again.  Except you can't break even because there will be some energy going into operating the mechanism.  So while no energy is lost to the universe, some will be redirected that you could have used for propulsion.

Solar:  Not enough juice unless you sit the bike down for a week or so in between charges to a great big static battery parked somewhere, that in turn feeds your bike battery.  If you have a roof full of solar panels on your house then you are able to use solar.

On the throttle, I am assuming English is not your first language as your message is unclear.  However, if you are trying to say that you have the yellow 3-pin plugs for throttle and you want a different throttle, I can tell you that the yellow 3-pin connection is common to the Bafang BBS02 and BBSHD motors, and there are tons of throttles out there that are compatible with that standard.

here is just one from a trusted seller and its probably the nicest full-twist throttle on the market.  Luna Cycle sells half-twist throttles in their BBSHD parts section:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Ebike-Throttle-BBS01-BBS02-BBSHD-1000W-Speed-Throttle-Twist-Speed-Throttle-for-BAFANG-Part-Accessories/1088910_32605524820.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.60864696zJCIHm

Edited by MattRobertson