FLGibsonJr

Which Sondors Bike???

I have been reading up and watching everything related to Sondors Electric Bikes.  I am still in the review stage as I prepare to buy a Sondors Bike.  I am 54, 6'4", and 275 lbs.  I plan to use the bike for a mix of purposes, such as riding it on a bike path for 6 or 7 miles, then riding on some not to difficult trails...on other days I will be riding it on the street, sidewalks, bike bath, over grass, and some very light trails.  I was looking at the Thin 7, with LCD, the 10.5 Ah battery, and Front Suspension, but I am still open to looking at basically any other option, if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

FLGibsonJr

Edited by FLGibsonJr

I would suggest a fattie (aka Sondors Original).  At both your height and weight the Original is a perfect fit.  Don't even consider a Fold.  You're too big for it.  Your knees will be at handlebar height (where your hands are) at the top of your pedal stroke.

In addition to your size, your use cases are better suited to a fattie as well.  That design really is as close to go-anywhere stable platform as you can get, with the electric motor making up for a multitude of sins that would otherwise count it out of many things, I am sure.

Don't consider the fattie to be 'fat' i.e. overweight.  With a motor on the bike, the importance of weight is greatly diminished.  Besides, the Thin despite its reduced visual size is not meaningfully lighter.

Non sequitur:  I started out at 265 when I got my Original and am down to 235 now.

Edited by MattRobertson
  • Thanks 1

Matt...thanks very much for your advice I appreciate it very much!!!...I am looking at the Fat bikes a lot closer now...do you think the Sondors X is worth considering as well?

How long did it take to lose the 30 pounds?

Thanks again,

Fred

I am. 6' 4" and a little lighter than you (and a little older). My Fold X is by far my favorite bike. Fits me fine for trail and street,  though I am not doing particularly long rides on it. I would agree that the original would be a more traditional choice but I have surprised myself at how comfortable the Fold is for me. I did add the Thudbuster for some height and comfort. Good luck. 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:33 PM, FLGibsonJr said:

Matt...thanks very much for your advice I appreciate it very much!!!...I am looking at the Fat bikes a lot closer now...do you think the Sondors X is worth considering as well?

How long did it take to lose the 30 pounds?

Thanks again,

Fred

@FLGibsonJr Sorry I missed your post until now.  I dropped the weight pretty quick, but it was also a function of effort on my part.  I ride 30 miles a day and I put a lot of effort into pedaling.  AND I put in bigger gears so I can add to the propulsion effort at speed as opposed to clown pedaling while the motor does the work.   Maybe three months?  I was riding hard and at speed (still am).  The key is to not use the bike as if its a motorcycle.  Stay off the throttle and just use PAS so its NOT enough to push the bike as fast as your feet can pedal it.  Makes you work up to your target cadence.

Treat the bicycle as an exercise machine.  Use it for transportation not special pleasure cruises.  Need it to go places.  With that motivation and with it fitting into your existing life (transportation) as opposed to making time to exercise, you'll drop weight (fat) and gain it right back (muscle).  I actually look quite a bit different now than the weight loss indicates.

The 'X' is definitely worth considering.  I bought two of them for my daughter and son-in-law to ride together.  However, if you are a DIY upgrader type then its not a good buy.  For $499 (assuming you can get one of the last low-cost ones) plus shipping, then adding a big controller and powerful battery - you can come in around the same price and have a lot more bike.