A 2018 Mid-Year Message From Storm Sondors Read more... ×
Skinsaphrenics

Front and rear racks and fenders for FOLD X

9 minutes ago, DanS said:

I bought the Chrome Stubbies through Amazon at about $35.  (USA)  I wasn't interested in larger fenders, but not sure what they will do in the rain.

They look great on my black and red Fold, but will require more hardware to install them.  Just a few nuts and bolts were included.  I hope to match the setup biknut used on his red Fold.  Probably the bike shop, especially for the rear support wire.

Can anyone identify the stem used with the BMX handlebars?  Including specs.

ok. I like the stubbys too. Can you tell us if they do the work when you have tried them well ?? its my only doubt.  Nobody has yet  installed the banana or unimoke options.. 

2 hours ago, ale said:

yes. i have estimated the cost of the unimoke fenders to my place, (Spain) = 105 eu ship included. I'll study the stubby option..it's not clear at the unimoke web if their fenders include the hardware to attach them to the bike. I have also to find the stubby fenders from an european seller. Electra doesn`t ship to europe (and would be expensive I guess..). I will post my final solution. Thanks for the info and idea.

Unimoke update: Now the website say, that the Kit includes mounting Hardware.  https://urbandrivestyle.com/collections/accessories/products/unimoke-fenders

Rob88,

Where did you get your backrack that attaches to your seat? I figured probably good for no more than 30 pounds or so? But that should be ok for normal errands. 

On 29/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, Stefan Hupe said:

So, my Fold is ready for fun now. Since Monday i have attached Light (B&M, 36 V in front and 6 V back), Power direct from the battery.

Fenders https://urbandrivestyle.com/collections/accessories/products/unimoke-fenders

Rear rack from Ibera

IMG_7281.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

IMG_7277.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7275.jpg

IMG_7274.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

Hello. I bought also the unimoke's. Could you show the front  attchment of the rear fender ? is it attached  to the rear rack or to the frame ?

thanks

On 15.12.2017 at 10:32 PM, ale said:

Hello. I bought also the unimoke's. Could you show the front  attchment of the rear fender ? is it attached  to the rear rack or to the frame ?

thanks

solved. i managed myself. It seems to be quite well attached. unimoke's installed. The front attachment it's mine.I don't want to install a rear rack and  they don't send appropiate mounting hardware for this attachment in particular.. in my opinion..They are created for another bike with similar wheels. some night photos of the final result.  this option fits very well for our folds..but they cost 100 euros. 

edit: i meant the front attachment of the rear fender...it's mine. the rest came with fenedrs and are useful.

IMG_20171218_085830.jpg

IMG_20171218_085822.jpg

IMG_20171218_085815.jpg

IMG_20171218_085802.jpg

IMG_20171218_085753.jpg

IMG_20171218_085740.jpg

IMG_20171218_085727.jpg

IMG_20171218_085717.jpg

IMG_20171218_085008.jpg

IMG_20171218_085003.jpg

We are currently modifying the fender design on our UNIMOKE e-bike for even better protection and easier assembly also on the SONDORs fold...

Also, we will be offering Mud Flaps as well, great input! Thanks...

7A1D2BDF-2AF3-4921-A01F-5441E4C1D4E5.thumb.jpg.121d65b1848e8a4ccd279c4d619d4c06.jpg

Hey,  Spare or Replacment OEM batteries are not available... Yet, from the parts store.  Should be showing up in the near future based on past results.  https://sondors.com/collections/parts-store?page=5    There are options though but they require a little adaptation, including adding a rack  for an aftermarket battery from one of our Sondors vendors, fabricating an extension power cable and adapting a connector to attach to the controller. 

These are the 3 most popular Vendors: 

https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/

https://velomobileshop.com/collections

https://electrobikeworld.com/t/sondors-e-bike

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

Below are pics of accessories I've added to my Fold X.  Was striving for a "clean", urban look.  I replaced the knobby tires with street tires.  For my carrier, I left off the side pannier braces.  Below the pictures you'll find some after thoughts and lessons learned.  And further down, you’ll find descriptions, links and prices for each product.  

1.jpg  

3.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg7.jpg

FENDERS
For the fenders, I debated getting the Luna Cycle Banana Fenders as well as the Electra Cruiser Stubby Fender Set.   They're very cool looking as I love that black matte finish on both.   The Electra set are only designed for Tires with a width of 2.12" and I prefer shorter fenders anyway.  Note my RadRover rear fender attaches to the seat post.  The amount of clearance is adjustable in two places other than the seat post.

LIGHTS
I get lots of comments on the bike.  Many comments stem from the vintage front headlight.  With that said, this Goodkssop headlight has more fashion than functional value.  At 180 lumens, it'll warn on comers that you’re there.  But you shouldn’t expect it to light your way in dark surroundings.

BIKE RACK & TRUNK
The positioning of the Yahill rack is adjustable and allows the trunk to rest comfortably on top.  The M-Wave lockable trunk is convenient for times you can’t take all your belongings with you. For gym rats, it's big enough to hold a gym shirt, shorts and a pair of men's size 12/13 shoes.  For the trunk you'll need a rack that's flat at least at one end....ones like the  Ibera PakRaks won't work since they are bend at the front and rear.  My biggest challenge was finding a way to secure the two because the trunk doesn’t offer an immediately obvious way to mount it on the rack.  So you’ll have to cleverly devise your own way...industrial velcro, zip ties or other hardware.  Should you decide to go with a storage solution like mine, consider using drilling a few holes in the underside and using small u-bolts to secure the trunk to the rack.  I added half-inch of adhesive foam to bottom of the trunk to soften noise of objects bouncing around.

SEATPOST
Of all the accessories, the CaneCreek Thudbuster is definitely my favorite.  Fat tires help smooth out minor road imperfections.  However, there are times when I appreciate the extra cushion.  Realize the Thudbuster will add about 4 to 5 inches to the overall height of your seat.  And I’m already losing about three inches from the bike carrier and rear fender which both attach to the seat post.  I’m 5’ 9” or 175 cm and it’s a slight stretch to mount the Fold.

REFLECTIVE DECALS
I’m all about making myself visible to other motorists.  That’s mainly why I chose the red model. But I also like to make sure I’m seen, particularly at night.  So I added red reflective tape to the rims for more side visibility.  I affixed black decals for more rear visibility should my tail light give out.  Virtually invisible by day the decals light up brilliantly at night when car lights approach.  If you look closely at the trunk see if you can find the two triangles and the four lines.

TIRES
Although the pictures might suggest I live in a rustic environment, I live in an urban setting.  So I replaced the knobby off-road tires with more "street" looking Kenda tires.  The Kenda tires don't have much of a groove down the middle of the tire.  So it would seem rather easy to lose traction… hasn't been much of a problem yet. I bought the tires on eBay and am not sure they're still available.  However, if I were to do it over again, I'd get the Duro tires that have a similar look.  In case someone might be looking for knobby replacements, I've added the Copertone and Mongoose tires.

1. Goodkssop 180 Vintage Headlight ($14)
  2. Okiano USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set ($23)
  3. RadRover Standard Front & Rear Fenders ($59)
  4. Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel 30.9 Seatpost ($149)
  5. Yahill Adjustable Quick Release Bike Rack ($39)
  6. M-Wave Lockable Hard Shell Bike Trunk ($51)
  7. Seattle Sports 1/2" Foam Trunk Insert - 20” x 15” ($18)
  8. CustomTAYLOR33 Reflective Rim Tape ($34)
  9. LiteMark Reflective Decal Variety Pack ($11)
  10. Kenda 20” x 4.25” Ringworm Tires ($31)
  11. Duro 20” x 4.25” Super Fatt Tires ($29)*
  12. Copertone BICI 20" x 4.0 Sandstorm ($28)*
  13. Mongoose 20" x 4.0 MG78456-2 Fat Tire ($24)*

*I have the Kenda Ringworm tires.  Products with asterisks represent other replacement tires.  Also note the Copertone and Mongoose tires are 4.0” wide.  I've been told they’ll fit on the Fold just fine.  But you might want to double-check before buying.

Edited by ScoobySnacks
  • Like 2

Thats a very nicely done Fold.  In particular I like the removal of the pannier/side supports which really clean up the look of the rack.

Doesn't look like you have a lot of room to let that Thudbuster articulate, though.  I'm guessing you are not an especially large person and don't need it.

Good eye.  I'm actually a pretty big guy at 240 lbs so the articulation is very likely greater than what most people would see.  And the seat was nicking the front part of the trunk every time I encountered a major bump in the road.

The distance was set up perfectly on my original carrier.  Unfortunately the original carrier broke two weekends ago.  Since I prefer a cleaner look, I purposely left off the side supports.  Hard to blame the manufacturer, so I'll chalk it up to intentional user error.

At any rate, I purchased the same carrier and set it up exactly the same way (adding the extra supports).  However, when the new carrier arrived I noticed that it was  slightly different...not realizing the newer one shaved about one-half to three-quarters of an inch off the distance between the two.  Remember this is an adjustable carrier.  The second simply didn't allow the carrier to slide or extend quite as far as the original.

I had installed the second carrier the evening before I took the pics.  A few days later, I was able to readjust this week without  much fuss. 

Edited by ScoobySnacks
  • Like 1

I did my own rear fender with 1’’ aluminium flat bar using a rubber mat that I cuted to fit under the Ibera rack, does the job and cost 10$....

Used a modified big buck front fender for the front and look is very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Buck-front-fender/dp/B01CQ6PXB6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1521984185&sr=1-2&keywords=Big+buck+fender

11ADF113-EB90-4972-9744-BE0A069AA45F.jpeg

382E9A6D-AC10-4DBF-914F-E39DDD498EF3.jpeg