This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads
Ole Dokka

From Norway with fear and love

From Norway with fear and love

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum, live on the west coast of Norway, have a family of six (including a cat), am a business owner, work in the space, health and education sector,

I am old (51!) but still loves to skate, surf and snowboard as much as possible. I drive a Tesla, I ride a Onewheel, I have had a bunch of electric skateboards, and now I will soon ride a Sondor bike.

I am waiting for a Sondor X in September, and the anxiety is starting to build...when will it arrive? When will I receive tracking info? Anyone else got theirs in Europe yet? Where can I find real pictures of the X? Will it be too heavy? Too slow? Can I modify the 250W motor and get more juice & speed out of it? Will the luna cycle controller and display work with the new battery? No one knows. Or do they? 😱

Look forward to receive this bike in a big way, I plan to use it to work every day...thanks for your  attention! 

Best,

Ole

This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads

As long as you can order parts, you can do anything to it you want easily. This would be a great idea for you. Just slap a 750 into your stock motor shell. It will still say 250w on it. No one will know what's inside.

350 vs 750.jpg

• Like 1

Hello @Ole Dokka and welcome toThe Sondors Forum. Enjoy your stay and review all the various Threads  on our forum for answers to your most pressing Questions. It nice to have a youngster, like you, join the community from Norway. Many of our older (much older than you) forum members and contributors have either rediscovered, returned or started bicycling and are benefiting from the Heath and Wellness benifits of a more athletic lifestyle. How's The Gravlax today? It's hard to find here. Salmon and Smoked Salmon are an important part of my diet and much of it is imported from Norway. You will find recommendations and threads here on Batteries, Controllers, Motor, Dual Motor upgrades and modifications plus all the usual accessory upgrades associated with Bicycles. My own Original Fat Tire Sondors has gone thru it's conversion over the two years I've owned it with every part replace, or manufactured, except the frame, fork and bottom bracket. Modifications are as much if not more fun and REWARDING, than the ride alone. Like it's been said before, "It's about the Journey, not the Destination". I suggest you take a look at @Houshmand Moarefi 's Mountain Climbing Monster as a starting point. He pretty much led the charge for others on this forum in upgrades and documentation.

My Electric Black Lightening  

image.thumb.jpeg.76b64e1cc29f61e980a47bd8f3f33052.jpeg

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, biknut said:

As long as you can order parts, you can do anything to it you want easily. This would be a great idea for you. Just slap a 750 into your stock motor shell. It will still say 250w on it. No one will know what's inside.

350 vs 750.jpg

Oohhh...yes, maybe! But I am a total idiot when it comes to work with bikes....will a novice be able to pull something like this off?

6 hours ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Hello @Ole Dokka and welcome toThe Sondors Forum. Enjoy your stay and review all the various Threads  on our forum for answers to your most pressing Questions. It nice to have a youngster, like you, join the community from Norway. Many of our older (much older than you) forum members and contributors have either rediscovered, returned or started bicycling and are benefiting from the Heath and Wellness benifits of a more athletic lifestyle. How's The Gravlax today? It's hard to find here. Salmon and Smoked Salmon are an important part of my diet and much of it is imported from Norway. You will find recommendations and threads here on Batteries, Controllers, Motor, Dual Motor upgrades and modifications plus all the usual accessory upgrades associated with Bicycles. My own Original Fat Tire Sondors has gone thru it's conversion over the two years I've owned it with every part replace, or manufactured, except the frame, fork and bottom bracket. Modifications are as much if not more fun and REWARDING, than the ride alone. Like it's been said before, "It's about the Journey, not the Destination". I suggest you take a look at @Houshmand Moarefi 's Mountain Climbing Monster as a starting point. He pretty much led the charge for others on this forum in upgrades and documentation.

My Electric Black Lightening  

image.thumb.jpeg.76b64e1cc29f61e980a47bd8f3f33052.jpeg

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Nice. Where do you ride?

Basically everywhere, but I think this picture in the link and caption best illustrated where. It's such a large US State, that Hurricane Harvey didn't bring me a single raindrop.

https://sondorsforum.com/gallery/image/115-well-this-here-be-texas/?browse=1

i have not reached the total range of the Electric Black Lightening but my longest outing was just over 65 miles. We have an expanding multi city rail system that makes trips beyond that range available and my bike rides with me on the trains so there is not a location within the vast DFW MetroPlex that I can't access with a multi system reduced fare (retired) daypass for $2.50..

image.thumb.jpeg.a425f9b0fbbeb35dd0ba558c0f75562c.jpeg

I have to clean it up this afternoon because the Factory Rep from Louis Garneau was drooling all over it at lunch today.

Quite Frankly, swapping the hub motor's out is very easy....most of that procedure is the same as fixing a rear flat tire. What also needs to happen that Buknit didn't elaborate on, in his motor swap suggestion,  is that when you upgrade to the 750watt Bafang Geared Hub Motor, you'll also need to buy the 35amp controller and enough battery power to drive it. That being said, all quality upgrades with the 750watt motor include building new wheels with Double Wall Rims and Quality Spokes, that's why I sent you to the excelent documentation on Houshman's thread.

image.jpeg.cffd101aa476967990d6e3d4d3528258.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ole Dokka said:

Oohhh...yes, maybe! But I am a total idiot when it comes to work with bikes....will a novice be able to pull something like this off?

It's probably better if you start out with a project a little less ambitious. I would get used to riding the bike before thinking about doing much to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biknut said:

It's probably better if you start out with a project a little less ambitious. I would get used to riding the bike before thinking about doing much to it. 

Yes, I will. Hope the Luna Cycle controller and display will be an option to unleash more power...but yes, will ride it first of course.

Since my other thread got closed by the admin (never happened before in my life btw, still not get why admin closed it), I will update progress in this one.

As for so many others, I was waiting and waiting and waiting...and in the end almost forgot about the whole thing. But, will give Sondors a lot of credit, because:

1. They have excellent customer service people on the chat-service. Really helpful, responsive, well intended, pleasant to deal with. Very impressed by that, guess they had to handle quite a few grumpy men in the 40-50´s...

2. When it was clear that I had to pay customs and tax directly to UPS in Norway (and that the prepaid amount would not cover it), Sondors refunded the same amount to my card immediately. To be honest, I expected a lot of struggle to get that back. Super positive experience.

3. I collected the bike myself yesterday, (it got here last week but I was in Florida for work), and concluded that everything in the box was excellent packed and 100% on arrival.

4. I used the assembly video for Sondors X and got to work. Mind you, I have never ever put together a bike in my life. But the instructions and the parts were excellent, and after 50 mins or so, my bike was ready to go. With the throttle and everything (not mounted on the handle bars by default, I guess that is not legal in Europe) But the battery was still charging...doh! I waited for the green light while working...and then, the moment of truth: Put the battery in, turn it on, lift up the backwheel and push down the throttle...the motor was alive! :D. The weather was (and is) awful, hard rain, cold, windy...but I had to test it for a quick spin. And it worked like a dream. I can´t wait to get on this Iron Horse (it is heavy as a Harley) and ride to one of my many nearby beaches.

To sum it up: Sondors delivered! All the way, a bit late but who cares - if the bike holds up when I actually use it, I will buy one more for my wife, maybe the car (I have a Tesla Model S today, but would like the Sondors to get rid of our gasoline junk car), caps, t-shirts. tatoos etc.

I am a fan! :D 

P.S Someone tried to upgrade controller with the Luna Cycle one? Are they compatible?

Ole

20171204_153852.jpg

image.jpeg.67b2c25f16ab1182401e558f4ecf4cbf.jpeg

I waited for over 5 months, in the original Indiegogo offering, Feb. 2, 2015, with nary a word from the company, with naysayers coming from across the eBike sprectum. I did have faith and haven't stopped grinning.

image.thumb.jpeg.c2a8429d12c52282ec1def6e8cebe713.jpeg

To upgrade, to any of the Aftermafket Controllers, it is necessary to replace the LCD also (the Sondors Controllers & LCD use a propiatory communication protocol) avalable from any of the 3 main 3rd party aftermarket online support companies. 

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/gauge/lcd-dashboard-for-sondors-bike-hot-rod-programmed-kt-lcd3/

https://electrobikeworld.com/products/kt-lcd3-36-52v

The first two optioned Controllers might require some adaptations,; extension cable, battery to controller connector and new throttle. 

*  https://sierraebike.com/products/sondors-lcd-screen-free-shipping

* select the correct Controller for your bike's triangle battery with the correct connector to the battery and add a new throttle. 

image.jpeg.f4c0624b2dc6d3f299c2db8744841cda.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Haha 1

Thanks Reddy, it pays off to be patient!

My laughing response was to the T-shirt btw, not your generous tips and advice.

The Sondors X has a new & bigger battery and a new and more powerful kind of controller compared to the earlier version, are you
sure the alternatives you mention are compatible with the new bike?

Anyway, I will ride it a lot before I do anything, learn about how it works, climbs, rides...if only the damn weather could get better!

Ole

Yes, the Sierra Bike upgrades are designed for your model. Be sure to communicate with them before purchase because they are constantly revising to meet the changing Sondors product line. 

image.jpeg.f4c0624b2dc6d3f299c2db8744841cda.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Thanks 1

Perfect maiden voyage today. 3 beaches, 30 km with sand, snow, dirt road, grass and asphalt. Super happy with the bike, and 32 km/h is not too bad at all. Oh yes!

C8BB7C49-5602-4B99-AA43-FDDBF6A31B0C.jpeg

• Like 2