The Nightly Fold X Report

I got to ride some more on Buffy's Fold X tonight. This was my first real ride after altering the LCD programing. Testing has now shown a stock Fold X with nothing more than Program changes to the LCD can do 23 mph on a flat, hot off the charger with no pedaling. You might be able to pedal assist to 25 but you'll look like a human egg beater doing it . With the slightest of advantage, such as a light tailwind, or downhill grade, 25 mph is easily attainable without pedaling, and I saw it do that several times.
Another area I got to explore was handling. Since I haven't had time yet to install a proper headlight, I'm riding in the dark. I'm doing high speed testing in the dark. Don't try this at home kids, I'm a professional lol. I rode down some well known bumpy streets. Usually in the daytime I have to keep my eyes pealed for cracks and potholes, but in the dark I found all of them. What I noticed was that at pretty high speed, 20 mph and up, the ride was a lot smoother than I expected, especially when hitting bumps. At the same time I didn't feel like the bike was as bouncy as my fatty was with stock tires. It's running 20 psi.
Range is looking really good. I'm ready to say 30 miles will be easy, and 40 miles with a little more effort. With a lot more effort than I care to do 50 miles. I think the new Panasonic 14ah 48v battery is very high quality, and I'm like the faster charging.
So the bottom like is the ride is pretty smooth. As far as street riding goes, I'm not too impressed with the stock simi knobbies. They're really noisy at speed like the fatty tires. My Hook Worms are silent. I think some new street tires we be in the Folds future.
Also have some other changes planned, but keeping them under my hat for now.

• Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

The combination of these two different sized wheels has a mild subliminal antisocial wrongness, and yet at the same time a deliberate rightness that appeals to the autistic crazy eye.  In this case a stock 20 inch by 80mm rear rim, and a 24" x 65mm front rim, laced to a 135mm Origin 8 sealed hub, with quick release, and a 203mm rotor.

Other important modifications you'll want to know about are a 25 controller, and a DNP Epoch 11-32 freewheel that allows pedaling up to 25 mph which is top  speed. 

Other minor details are twist throttle, front and rear lighting powered off the main battery, front and rear bling fenders, a Planet Bike, Versa rear rack., and Box Components 8.5" Maximus bmx bars. 

As far as the ride is concerned, I like the fat rear wheel for suspension. It cuts top speed about 2-3 mph compared to a Fatty with the same same., but it looks cool, and because the gearing is slightly shorter it has more torque. The stock 48v 14ah battery can easily handle the 25 amp controller with no stalling. Acceleration is good, but not equal to a 750 even though it's pulling 800 to 1000w max. It's a lot better than a souped up 350 though. You find out pretty fast that the stock pedal gearing leaves a lot to be desired.  Even in top gear about 13 mph was about it for pedaling.  It was really easy to out motor the pedals right out of the box. Now with a DNP Epoch 11-32 freewheel I can pedal up to 25 mph. That makes higher speed cruising nicer, because you don't run out of gears, and have to stop pedaling, or slow down.  

I like the handling a little better with the bigger front wheel, but besides the good looks it's advantage is only  evident when turning at higher speeds.  

I'm very satisfied with the range I'm getting from the stock 48v 14ah battery. It's hard to get less than 20 miles, and the best I've seen was 40 miles. 

Besides all that this bike has been 100% reliable.  

• 3 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Andi
      Hey folks that are patiently, or impatiently, awaiting a shipping notice or bike, please read this. Based on our experience with this since 2015, here is what you can expect:  PLUS, the Pandemic has a huge affect on deliveries with overcapacity UPS capabilities.  
      As containers arrive in LA, UPS take possession and gets them processed through customs. There are hundreds of bikes per container, and probably a dozen containers.  As each container is opened, UPS will mark them as received and you may get a notice with an expected delivery date (either from UPS or Sondors). This does not necessarily mean that it is on a truck yet or has left the facility The bikes are shipped by truck, not air. Once it leaves LA you may not get any update for days as the truck works it's way to your regional or local hub where it will be offloaded and scanned again. Not getting an update for a few days is normal. You will sometimes get a planned delivery notice once it gets to your local UPS. However, sometimes it just shows on your doorstep. Sometimes it shows up on your doorstep when the tracking shows that it's still in LA. It's quite inconsistent, and nobody should panic. If you get a notice, be patient. It can take more than 2 weeks to get to you depending on how fast they empty the containers and when they find space in a truck, how long the drive is, etc. Signing up for UPS My Choice might give you more info, but sometimes not. Whatever you do, don't start bombarding Sondors with emails about "where is my bike" yet. They have probably opened 1 of a dozen containers so far and are working through things over the next couple of weeks We all know there's a huge shipment of bikes coming. Thousands of bikes. I can feel the excitement, or maybe it's just me lol. But anyway I can feel the pressure building. We don't mind you posting your delivery notice, but please don't post your tracking number. Just black that part out, and you're good to go. You don't want anyone the be able to reroute your delivery to my house do you? Moderators will delete all posts we see with tracking numbers. If you have ordered or already got your Sondors eBike - please login or register and pin yourself to the member map: https://sondorsforum.com/membermap/
      If you have not received your bike yet and still want a test ride or meet Storm Sondors? Check out this Event:

Feel free to post your unpacked or still packed bike in this Gallery Section - We are looking forward to your pictures!
      https://sondorsforum.com/gallery/category/3-unboxed-show-us-your-sondors-ebike/

The Sondors Owner Forum is a great place to share information about your Sondors eBike. We have many available resources here, that may have great value for you. Take your time and read everything carefully. I would love to see you as an new member on the Owners Forum! Questions? Feel free to ask!

• By Roy
      Hi Sondors community! 
      My name is Roy, 30 years old and live in the Netherlands. I will use the bike for commute to work. Round trip is 20km (about 12 miles). 
      After debating back and forth I finally went ahead and bought myself a Fold Sport. Here in the Netherlands we have dedicated bike lanes that are overall in very good condition. So no need for suspension or fat tires. Ordered the bike on the 10th of may and recieved it yesterday 15th of may. Talking about a quick delivery !!
      Very excited about recieving the package I cancelled all my plans for yesterday evening so I could start the assembly of the bike.  With the help of the video's on the Sondors website this was a easy task to complete. In about an hour or so the bike's assembly was complete. Wow this bike looks even better IRL!! 
      In 1 of the video's they gave the tip that you should first charge the battery. This way it should be charged when you finished the assembly. Followed step by step the method to charge the battery. Saw the led indicator on the charger blink green,red,green,red a couple times. Left it in the charger and went ahead to assemble the bike. When the assembly was complete i checked the battery and the LED indicator was showing a solid green. Already charged? Came pre charged from the factory? Sweet!! After unplugging the charger step by step I went ahead and put the battery in my bike. 
      Turned the rocker switch on the battery to 'on' and powered up my LCD by holding the 'i' button in the middle on the controller. The excitement was real........ my first testride was about to happen......... Except on the top left of the LCD there was a blinking and empty battery indicator?!?!? How? I just charged it and the LED indicator was showing green = full battery? Since it was only on charge for about 1,5 hours or so I decided to but the battery back on the charger for another 3 hours. But unfortunatly when I tried it the 2nd time i was greeted by the same empty and blinking battery indicator? What a bummer!! Test drove the bike but there was no power. Not what I was expecting from my first E-bike! 
      I contacted the chat via the Sondors website and they adviced me to make a technical support ticket. So I went ahead and did that! I am sure this will be just a minor thing that can be fixed but it is a bit of a bummer!
      DId any of you experienced the same issues? How did you get it solved? If someone has any sulutions on how to solve this I would like to hear about them. 
      Thanks in advance everyone. 

Kind regards, 
      Roy 
      P.s. sorry for my bad English grammar haha 
    • By SportFoldBoy420
      My lcd has just died on my Fold sport from water damage I'm quite sure so this is my perfect opportunity to upgrade I have been looking at the 750w bafang rear hub motor and they say it will lace in 350w motor no problem but I have the 250w bafang rear hub motor. Will it fit? But first I want too upgrade the sondors lcd to the ktc3 25 amp and 25 amp controller and will wait till sondors have the 48v 14 amp available in Europe  until i upgrade the motor as the 38v 8.8amp battery won't be powerful enough. Any suggestions or problems with my plan I would appreciate feed back
    • By Lane
      Hello everyone, I currently have an Original Sondors Fat Tire bike from 2016 (I believe).  I purchased it from a friend who had performed some upgrades to it.
      As the bike sits today:
      Luna Storm 48v 20ah Battery Controller Model KT36/48ZWSRMD-SLSLD02 Rated for DC 36v or 48v, Rated current 12A Maximum current 25+-1A (Assuming this is from Luna as well) Original Motor Bafang RMG06 36v 350W(10) 26-1-1508195560-6 LCD Luna LCD Dashboard for Sondors KT-LCD3 Took the bike out for a ride the other day after it had been sitting in the garage for about a month and received a motor hall connection error on my LCD screen. Tried the usual unplugging the connection under the chainstay and making sure I had charged the battery. I'm wondering if I am able to replace the cable coming out of my motor (if that is the culprit) or if I need to replace the motor altogether. If that is the case, would anyone recommend I upgrade to a 48v motor? Would it make a difference/ work with my existing upgrades? I'm new to the forum and Ebike scene in general so I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.