This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads
Kinslow

Sondors Fold Charger Not Working

Sondors Fold Charger Not Working

Just received the Fold and after four or five days we have gone to charge it for the first time and it will not charge. Charging with the battery off the bike. The charger light is always green even though the batter is depleted  (shows one bar on the LCD display).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads

You followed the Sondors Fold Assembly Instructions and the first thing you did was follow the instructions and fully charged the battery and that worked fine, right?

Turn the Battery Switch to Off. Plug the bullet connector into the Battery,  now plug the power cable into the wall outlet.

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

You followed the Sondors Fold Assembly Instructions and the first thing you did was follow the instructions and fully charged the battery and that worked fine, right?

Turn the Battery Switch to Off. Plug the bullet connector into the Battery,  now plug the power cable into the wall outlet.

Reddy

Yes, we charged the battery then rode for about a week. It was great! Now the LCD reads one bar and the LED is on red. When we charge, following the directions, the charger still always stays green and the battery is not charging. I just spoke with Sondors customer service, which was great, and they will ship a replacement charger. 

Thanks for you quick response!

Steve

• Like 1

I am wondering if my charging issue is caused by net getting a powerful enough charging unit? Please see the Images from battery and charger panels. The charger appear to be 42 volts and the battery says 48 volts. I am no electrician but this does not seem correct to my limited knowledge. Ar there any other Fold owners who can confirm a working charger with these voltages?

Thanks in advance

52460460440__EEC62578-8B95-4317-A9E6-0AD38C60B6BA.JPG

52460696203__514F67EB-5170-47C1-A796-4C5512989368.JPG

42Volt is a 36v Charger which is the voltage of a fullycharged 36v battery.. Contact  CS @ Sondors and tell them.

image.jpeg.f09786403685115fb7fd67fefaef3e74.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

42Volt is a 36v Charger which is the voltage of a fullycharged 36v battery.. Contact  CS @ Sondors and tell them.

So was I shipped the wrong batter or the wrong charger?

Depends on what you ordered....a standard Fold will come with a 36v battery, FoldX with a 48v....... One of the problems in troubling shooting forum members quandaries is supplying all the necessary information. Soon there will be a list of, Help Request Information, to be included with requests so contributors will have a concise idea of what to base their answers on. 

Id say if you got a 48V battery, you were Queen For A Day )). Sondors should send you a compatable charger.

Reddy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Depends on what you ordered....a standard Fold will come with a 36v battery, FoldX with a 48v....... One of the problems in troubling shooting forum members quandaries is supplying all the necessary information. Soon there will be a list of, Help Request Information, to be included with requests so contributors will have a concise idea of what to base their answers on. 

Id say if you got a 48V battery, you were Queen For A Day )). Sondors should send you a compatable charger.

Reddy

It would appear I got the bonus battery with the standard charger - 

11 minutes ago, Kinslow said:

It would appear I got the bonus battery with the standard charger - 

Thanks for your help - At least I now know the right questions to ask CS

Yep, this release of new bikes have had quite a few Charger related problems but yours seems to be one that most would appreciate except for the inconvenience and down time. 

You do have options in the aftermarket.... if you don't want to wait on Sondors or....if you would like a better charger to maximize battery life .....or a faster charge time.

About 50%  faster than stock Sondors 48v charger:  https://lunacycle.com/batteries/chargers/standard-3amp-48v-dolphin-bottle-battery-charger/

Advanced charger allowing charge to 80/90/100% and variable rates from 1 to 5amps to maximize battery life:  https://lunacycle.com/batteries/chargers/luna-charger-48v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

Mini 3 amp charger 50% !faster:   https://lunacycle.com/48v-3amp-luna-mini-charger/

100% faster at twice the charge rate 4amps:  https://lunacycle.com/standard-4amp-48v-dolphin-shark-bottle-battery-charger/

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Reddy Kilowatt said:

Yep, this release of new bikes have had quite a few Charger related problems but yours seems to be one that most would appreciate except for the inconvenience and down time. 

You do have options in the aftermarket.... if you don't want to wait on Sondors or....if you would like a better charger to maximize battery life .....or a faster charge time.

About 50%  faster than stock Sondors 48v charger:  https://lunacycle.com/batteries/chargers/standard-3amp-48v-dolphin-bottle-battery-charger/

Advanced charger allowing charge to 80/90/100% and variable rates from 1 to 5amps to maximize battery life:  https://lunacycle.com/batteries/chargers/luna-charger-48v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

Mini 3 amp charger 100% !faster:   https://lunacycle.com/48v-3amp-luna-mini-charger/

100% faster at twice the charge rate 4amps:  https://lunacycle.com/standard-4amp-48v-dolphin-shark-bottle-battery-charger/

Reddy

This is GOLD - Thanks

• Like 1

Same thing just started happening to me a few days ago — no matter what I do or in what order, the charger light stays green when I try to charge the battery of not ONE but TWO Fold X's that I have (both which previously charged just fine until now!!!)  Did the replacement charger work for you?  Not sure if it's more likely that BOTH chargers went bad or BOTH batteries went bad (I have yet to hear back from sondors support).

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I doubt you are having the same issue I was. I simply had the wrong amp charger so my battery never charged. Once SONDORS and I diagnosed the problem they supplied me with the proper charger and things have been great since. 

I took a pick of the battery specs panel and the charger specs panel and included the pics in my help request to SONDORS 

good luck

@Kevin Wong,

You'll need to use a multimeter to check the no load output of the Chargers and the Voltage in the batteries to determine what the problem is.  The Chargers should show an output of 54volts and the Batteries should show a min 39.5 volts to accept a charge. 

Youll also need to check that you have the correct charger for your Sondors. A lot of Sondors acessories seem to be miss labeled on their boxes.  

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt