BreakAes

Thinking About Buying A Fold X

Thinking About Buying A Fold X

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of e-bikes. Originally I thought I'd get a recumbent trike for exercise, due to the fact that I have a spinal cord injury and I thought that would provide more stability. But when I tried one I couldn't go that fast, at least for now.

I wasn't aware that Sondors sold affordable e-bikes though. A Fold X would probably cost about as much as a recumbent trike and is powered, so I'd like to demo a Sondors bike to see if I want to go that route.

Is there anybody close to the Bellingham, Washington area that would be willing to let me demo their Sondors e-bike?

Also, I understand the Fold X model has just been released, but are the electronics well-encased and protected against rain? Do you just need to cover the LCD screen, or is there more to worry about when riding in the rain? It rains a lot during most months here.

Anything else I should know about the Fold X model? And would the Fold X provide the best bang for the buck, out of all the folding e-bikes out there?

Thanks!

I have Sondors 4.9 wheel ebike for two year weather has never been a problem,I road it in rain an snow.The LCD will be fine probably as long as you keep it in garage when your not riding it. I had no problem with bike since nov 2015. Good luck

Thanks for the link. Do you guys know if there are any other folding e-bikes out there that would compete with the Sondors Fold on price, or otherwise offer a really good bang for the buck?

I ended up finding the Rad Mini. It's somewhat close in price to the Fold X, which is what I'd be considering. The Fold X with the Shimano gear option is $1,123 shipped vs $1,499 for the Rad Mini.

The Rad Mini has front and rear racks, and a 750 watt motor, but a smaller battery. It's also 62 pounds, whereas the Fold X is 50 pounds.

Those seem like the main technical differences. It's kind of hard to choose between the 2 by just browsing. I wish I could try them both in person.

Anybody know how the performance will differ between the 2, given the fact that the Rad Mini has a motor with 250 watts more power, but is 12 pounds heavier?

Since I have a spinal cord injury, I would likely have to use the throttle to get up to speed, before trying to pedal. I'm wondering if those 250 watts of additional power would be what I want, especially on hills. Both are 7 speeds though.

Hi BreakAes , my advise is forget the Rad, it's Alibaba crap. The new Fold is the Hottest eBike on the market right now. It should cost more then twice what it costs. My wife has one now for 2 weeks, and it's an amazing bike. It's battery alone is a masterpiece made by Panasonic. We rode a 20 mile ride and it only dropped one notch on the battery meter.  It has plus 40 miles range. She can hit 24 mph without pedaling.

We don't need the folding feature so I changed the handle bars out for something a little more appealing to look at.

I XLR8 b.jpg

Fold with streamers.jpg

On 8/9/2017 at 11:13 PM, BreakAes said:

Anybody know how the performance will differ between the 2, given the fact that the Rad Mini has a motor with 250 watts more power, but is 12 pounds heavier?

BreakAes I'm sorry I missed this as I hope you didn't make a buying decision based on this misconception.  First of all, what does the motor's rating tell us?  It tells us how beefy it is built.  More wattage is more beefy.  But being in the marketplace and community for awhile I also know that even the 350w motors are capable of over 1000w of sustained power.  In other words they are overrated by a fair margin, which is quite a surprise for a Chinese mass-market product.  The Bafang 750 used by the Rad Mini is almost indestructible, but in the real world, so likely is the Bafang 500 used by the Sondors.

So... A motor's rating has no bearing on how much power it has.  How do you calculate power?  An ebike's power is determined by its battery voltage and its controller's amperage.  In automotive terms voltage is horsepower and amperage is torque.  To determine the watts that will be produced by a system you multiply battery voltage by controller amperage.  to keep things simple I will just use the nominal rated power of each bike which is 48v, and the max controller output which is different for each:

Sondors:  48v * 15a = 720 watts
Rad: 48v * 22a = 1056 watts.

Sounds like more still, right?  It is.  Sondors keeps its controller power down to comply with regulations that limit an ebike to 750 watts max final output.  However, as you noticed that Rad bike is *significantly* heavier.  Furthermore, the Sondors is built on an open-market platform so upgrading that adequate but not industry-leading controller is VERY simple.  Now that we know the specifics of the Fold's controllers for 2017, 25a controllers that are already available in the marketplace can be plugged right in.  I think they cost in the $65 range.  So now...

Sondors upgraded:  48v * 25a = 1200 watts.  

and you get the bigger battery.  The lighter bike.  More power and oh its still well under the cost of the Rad.

edit:  And you can put a rack on it since it has rack bosses on the back.

Edited by MattRobertson
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies y'all, but I found out that due to my injury I need to get an e-trike or e-quad. I do plan to get an e-scooter, or something like that, for traveling with.

Have fun with the Folds!

Hello @biknut, @MattRobertson and others. I've joined this forum to gather info on the Sondors bikes because Sondors is practically unheard of over here in Belgium.

I'm on the verge of ordering a Fold with the 48V 14A battery for delivery to Belgium. However the Folds in Europe only have a 250W motor due to EU regulations and limited to 25km but it comes with the LCD and a 7 speed casette. In Europe if you are not pedalling then you get no assist from the motor, but this is not an issue for me as I want to get exercise while biking. We have some hills where I live and after a typical ride of 25 - 30 miles I need to climb a hill before I arrive home. Its not that steep and long but at the end of the ride, it seems like Everest. At that stage, I have to do everything to not stop and walk it up the hill because my 64 yr old legs (and bum) are tired... I've been looking at electric bikes for the last year or so but never saw something I liked for the price I can afford. Now the FOLD with 48V battery has appeared in pre-sale, I think I have found my baby.

In your opinion

1. How much (reliable) extra power could a new controller give the 250W motor?
2. What is the Amp rating of the controller I need?
3. How could I increase the max. speed limit of 25km (16mph) to 20-25mph seeing it will be set at max. 25 km/hr.
4. Would I have to change the front chain ring to reach 20-25mph considering I'll need to continue pedalling with a reasonable cadence to sustain that speed for an hour or so? (I don't want to feel and look like a human eggbeater)
5. Or is there a way where I could cheat and let the motor do its work without me pedalliing or pedalling at a lower speed so that it looks as if I am in assist mode, but actually my legs are not providing any power to the drivetrain?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John Pescod

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, JPinBe said:

Hello @biknut, @MattRobertson and others. I've joined this forum to gather info on the Sondors bikes because Sondors is practically unheard of over here in Belgium.

I'm on the verge of ordering a Fold with the 48V 14A battery for delivery to Belgium. However the Folds in Europe only have a 250W motor due to EU regulations and limited to 25km but it comes with the LCD and a 7 speed casette. In Europe if you are not pedalling then you get no assist from the motor, but this is not an issue for me as I want to get exercise while biking. We have some hills where I live and after a typical ride of 25 - 30 miles I need to climb a hill before I arrive home. Its not that steep and long but at the end of the ride, it seems like Everest. At that stage, I have to do everything to not stop and walk it up the hill because my 64 yr old legs (and bum) are tired... I've been looking at electric bikes for the last year or so but never saw something I liked for the price I can afford. Now the FOLD with 48V battery has appeared in pre-sale, I think I have found my baby.

In your opinion

1. How much (reliable) extra power could a new controller give the 250W motor?
2. What is the Amp rating of the controller I need?
3. How could I increase the max. speed limit of 25km (16mph) to 20-25mph seeing it will be set at max. 25 km/hr.
4. Would I have to change the front chain ring to reach 20-25mph considering I'll need to continue pedalling with a reasonable cadence to sustain that speed for an hour or so? (I don't want to feel and look like a human eggbeater)
5. Or is there a way where I could cheat and let the motor do its work without me pedalliing or pedalling at a lower speed so that it looks as if I am in assist mode, but actually my legs are not providing any power to the drivetrain?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

John Pescod

JP, everything you want to do is easy as long as you can get parts from China, and the US. An aftermarket controller, and LCD, would allow you to install a throttle. You can probably double your stock 250w with a 20 amp controller.  

https://pasionebike.aliexpress.com/store/group/SONDORS/1088910_509413488.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.cuSgNG