READY TO BUY SMART BATTERY CHARGERS

READY TO BUY SMART BATTERY CHARGERS

I am ready to buy a 36 volt and a 48 volt smart battery charger for my Sondors bikes that I am waiting on. I am concerned about the battery charger connectors. I like the Luna Cycles Advanced chargers and need to know what I need to do about the battery charger connectors. I an waiting on a 36 volt Thin, 48 volt Sondors X, and a 48 volt Fold X.  Does anyone know if all three bikes will have the same battery charger connector? Any suggestions on a smart chargers comparable to the advanced chargers that Luna sells?

All Sondors batteries charge with a bullet connector and Luna will supply a dongle to connect to the XT-60....But,

The Luna 36v Avanced 300watt charger (7amp) is too powerful for Sondors Batteries. It will work but you'll greatly reduce the capacity and life of your batteries. https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-36v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

The 36 volt mini 4amp  charger is not the amperage you'll want to charge at for 36V battery longevity and health either unless you just need a fast charger but you'll reduce capacity..

https://sondorsforum.com/topic/1769-smart-battery-chargers/do=findComment&comment=5530

this is about all that's avalable to you as a universal smart charger.

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

image.png.f11606384dd1a9a343d42376acfbd633.png

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

I am glad I had not ordered it yet. I do have more questions in which I would appreciate more feedback from you. I like the Luna Advance charger because it can be set for 80%, 90%, or 100% charge to extend the life of the battery but I would not want it if it shortens the life of the battery. I also like the digital readout. I have used smart chargers for automobiles that I understood would only put out only the wattage/amperage needed and as the battery got closer to fully charged the wattage/amperage would reduce. Would this not be the case for the Luna Smart charger for the Sondors batteries? I am not concerned about fast charging, I am only concerned about the longevity of the batteries. Do you have a recommendation for a smart charger for the Sondors bikes?

That's not on the 36v Advanced 300watt Charger, unless they've changed recently. That's on the 48v & the 52v which I have. Those are fine chargers for 48 & 52 Volt  batteries. 

This is what you want, it's universally adaptable to different voltages and amp charging rates.

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

You won't be able to charge more that one at a time though. There is a variable charging scheme to capacity of 80% or any capacity you want,  using your stock charger, a multimeter and a timer. It involves charting the start voltage and time to whichever % Capacity you desire. For most it's too involved so the Satiator's price is acceptable but some data freaks will use this method to track thier batteries health and capacity....regardless, using the Stock Sondors Battery Chargers and your batteries will latest years and last longer than you'll want to keep them before you decide to upgrade batteries and components for even better performance. 

image.jpeg.6cfab422966d6adb78bcdb366452252f.jpeg

image.jpeg.88b4a72be99de61f4d5152b906000dad.jpeg

Li-Ion are not like any other batteries and even li ion differ within different chemistries that are constantly evolving. 

There is good info here : http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

image.jpeg.cffd101aa476967990d6e3d4d3528258.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

The problem with that 36v smart charger is really the fact that its 7a output.  Thats WAY too much power to pump through a bullet type connector.  You don't want to exceed 3a with a bullet connector.  7 amps is also so high you'll heat up the battery and as was stated, subject it to premature wear.

I have one of those Satiators and its awesome.  Goes with me as I travel.  I did have to hold my nose when I went through the checkout.  But after a few months of daily use on both 36v and 52v batteries (it can charge anything, essentially) I can say I am very happy with it.  I am buying my daughter a Sondors X and I am getting one for her as well.  Primarily because I want to mitigate the risk of a battery fire, which is much higher with a non-smart charger.

No matter what charger you purchase, consider one of these:  a mechanical (NOT electric/electronic) countdown timer.

http://a.co/fTkkgbi

416xaiogwJL._AC_US218_.jpg

If you have no smart charger you are relying on your BMS to cut off the charge input and if there's a BMS failure thats how ebike battery fires start, no matter how experienced the owner.  If on the other hand you do have a smart charger, this is one more layer of safety ... that costs you almost nothing.

My advice would be to stand pat until you get your bikes. If you'll be riding regular routes, distances or times, you can time the charge time pretty accurately to 100% percent, when the Sondors charger shuts off, then roughly calculate the time it would take  to 80%. Then you can use simple count down timers to get near 80%, time and time again. Want better accuracy, use the charts, time and multimeter to track to 80% exactly, then use the count down timer and verify with the multimeter. After several recharges you should be able to reach 80% pretty consistently. 

We all are geared up and are enthusiastic with our new bikes.  Use the initial period to upgrade, personalize and make it your own; bar, stem, seat, rack and fenders. All aspects of performance and maintenance will take a little time to digest and you won't do any damage to your batteries in the first months, because they need to be charged to 100% when new and frequently, even after you develope a 80% routine.  I ride a lot, more than I drive and I couldn't wear out my Indiegogo Original 36v 8.8ah battery in 18 months and I tried like hell. Capacity seemed almost like new when I replaced it with a couple of 52V.

image.jpeg.39a5ee5ced8b26bdb4b2a0376ca4e2bd.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Like 1

I completely agree with using this $12 countdown timer from Amazon as above.  You plug it in there and set it with the appropriate amount of time, figure 2 amp hours charging per hour and forget it.  I have a Sondors then 36 for all 8.8 amp hour Panasonic and so far, knock on wood, no problems. after 1600 miles and multiple recharging's.

I'm interested in getting a 36 V, 3A  ( 3amp hour per hour charger), for a potential road trip so that I can take it with me on an extended multi day road trip and charge my E bike 50% faster, theoretically.

Does anyone have any specific experience/recommendation on a reliable 36 V, 3A  ( 3amp hour per hour charger) reasonably priced, e.g. approximately $30 or less, that works, uses the same plug, etc. for the stock 36 fold 8.8 amp hour Sondors thin triangular battery?

Much appreciated !

Boulderite

image.png.e2b87328c92023b3d45662d692fff58c.png

There has not been a single stock Sondors Battery explosion, fire or otherwise dangerous  reported  mishap on the Forum. I'm sure we'll hear of mysterious and unsubstantiated mishaps from the Facebook Page.  The only problems reported here have been of non functioning batteries by users not following charging or storage guidelines. 

I might suggest you try a search Aliexpress for a 36V 3amp charger. 

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

To the general beginner user, don't panic but at the same time don't be stupid.  You can and should take simple precautions.  You will have no shortage of examples if you look beyond this forum which unfortunately only has a few regular users.

If you use your head, you will be fine.

Edited by MattRobertson

On 7/31/2017 at 10:07 AM, Boulderite said:

... experience/recommendation on a reliable 36 V, 3A  ( 3amp hour per hour charger) reasonably priced, e.g. approximately $30 or less, that works, uses the same plug, etc. for the stock 36 fold 8.8 amp hour Sondors thin triangular battery?

Much appreciated !

Boulderite,

There just isn't that much demand for replacement 36v chargers.  Since the Luna 36v charger is unsuited to these batteries, try one of their others.  They label this one specifically for Sondors.

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/chargers/36v-2amp-charger-for-sondors-and-other-36v-bottle-packs/

I know you can get replacements on AliExpress but its a total crap shoot as to reliability and safety.  Not much better for the Luna product but their imprimatur is worthat least  *something*

I checked into the Satiator charger and just about talked myself into getting one. I contacted ebikes about what all I would need to purchase with the charger to charge my Sondors batteries. Right now I will just have 36 volt and 48 volt batteries but I was concerned that one day I may want to go a higher voltage. They recommended that I purchase the 36/48 volt charger because it will charge at a higher amperage than the 72 volt charger. I believe the 36/48 volt charger charged up to 7 amps and the 72 volt charger only charged up to 5 amps. From previous postings it appears the lower amperage would be better anyway so it appears that future battery upgrades concerns outweigh the max amperage?  They ask me for a picture of the battery plug in which I do not have yet.  Exactly what plug would I need? I have already ordered a count down timer, now I am still trying to pin down the charger. 

@Brandnew...Zackly!!!?

You might consider reading :

http://tinyurl.com/ReddysHappyBatteryGuide

Previous batteries in the Thin and probably now in the new Sondors eBike versions will use a standard bullet connector on the battery and charger ....universal throughout the line.

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

18 hours ago, Brandnew said:

I checked into the Satiator charger and just about talked myself into getting one. I contacted ebikes about what all I would need to purchase with the charger to charge my Sondors batteries. Right now I will just have 36 volt and 48 volt batteries but I was concerned that one day I may want to go a higher voltage. They recommended that I purchase the 36/48 volt charger because it will charge at a higher amperage than the 72 volt charger. I believe the 36/48 volt charger charged up to 7 amps and the 72 volt charger only charged up to 5 amps. From previous postings it appears the lower amperage would be better anyway so it appears that future battery upgrades concerns outweigh the max amperage?  They ask me for a picture of the battery plug in which I do not have yet.  Exactly what plug would I need? I have already ordered a count down timer, now I am still trying to pin down the charger. 

Brandnew,

I made the same decision.  I don't want to charge ANY battery at 7 amps, and 7 amps is waaaay too much for the little bullet connector on the Sondors batteries.  I have found that 5 amps is plenty fast to pump juice into one of my 52v batteries if I am in a time crunch.

The 72v charger will grow with you in case you ever get serious about a genuinely high voltage system.

Just as of last night we saw two separate installs of the 60v triangle battery and matching 35 amp controller fit into the new (longer and taller) Sondors Original battery box - two separate owners did and documented the same upgrade.  So you can buy turnkey off the shelf Sondors upgrades right now that will outstrip the 48v charger.

I use the 72v charger and bought the XT60 programmable cable.  But I only use it if programming the charger.  I bought XT60 pigtails and XLR pigtails from Luna and made a dirt cheap adapter for my battery system.  The idea is if somehow the cable fries, its a $4 loss easily replaced, and I can just throw it away and attach another.  Same goes for the other side.  I keep a very short XT60 lead on my battery also made from $4 Luna pigtails and it paid off the one time I discovered that a battery box bolt is the perfect fit to arc a male XT60 plug.  After the dust settled and I changed my underwear, I threw away the burned/melted extension and just plugged in another.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/ul/20170731_162608.jpg

Right click and open image in new window.  For some reason the forum is not properly embedding the image.

20170731_162608.jpg

For your needs, you want the Luna bullet connector adapters.  Buy the XT60 programming plug (only use it to program if you can and otherwise use a cheapie extension like I did) and then a Luna XT60 to bullet connector.

Edited by MattRobertson