This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads
Sovamind

Luna Cycle's "preprogrammed" LCD and upgraded 20 amp controller combo

Question

Luna Cycle's "preprogrammed" LCD and upgraded 20 amp controller combo

Does anyone know if the Luna Cycle LCD and 20 amp controller combo is really a different LCD than an original (kickstarter) LCD?  Can I just buy the controller and reprogram my existing display or do I really need to buy their display too?

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/gauge/lcd-dashboard-for-sondors-bike-hot-rod-programmed-kt-lcd3/

1 answer to this question

I'm cleaning this up here.

There are two versions of the LCD:

1. Aftermarket unbranded LCD - called: KT-LCD3 / Wendy LCD / Aftermarket LCD Display
  2. Branded LCD (looking the same like the aftermarket unbranded LCD but WITH Sondors logo on it see picture here: show picture)

Please note, sondors sold to every version of the bike a lcd. they are not marked but different!

Long story short: 

• The first eBike from Sondors (distributed via the first Indiegogo campaign) is compatible with the KT-LCD3 Aftermarket LCD and the at that time distributed LCD from Sondors
  • All other eBikes from Sondors (distributed via Kickstarter / gosondors.com / sondors.com) ARE NOT compatible with the aftermarket unbranded LCD. Only with in that time distributed LCD Display (branded with Sondors Logo) from SOONDORS.

Please note: YOU CANNOT tell the difference between the branded Sondors LCD distributed with Sondors eBikes sold over Kickstarter and Sondors eBikes sold over sondors.com - They look exactly the same but are not going to work on each other bike. (Kickstarter 'branded' Sondors LCD will not work with an bike from sondors.com due to different communication protocols)

This is due to a change in the communication protocol. Sondors did that to stop aftermarket sales (which were cheaper than the Sondors LCD itself (around 50$ I think).

So if you have an Sondors eBike sold after the first campaign. You will need to buy Controller and the aftermarket unbranded LCD (both 100$ - will ship faster to your housedoor...) or you buy the corresponding Sondors branded LCD. (100$)

If you have any questions, please ask ask ask. There are no dumb questions. We are here to help. 

Thanks and have a great day,

Andi

2 people like this

This AD helps to cover the costs to run this forum: Login/register to see less ads

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RoyalTS
      Here you can find the right settings for your Sondors eBike generic LCD!
      KT LCD3 settings for Sondors
      buy a LCD here: klick
      Max. Speed: leave it, or set it to 25 km/h
      Wheel Diameter: 29 for 4.9" tires, 28 for 4.0"
      Metric and Imperial Units: your choice
      P1 = 100 (Motor Characteristic Parameter Setting Mode, 1 - 255)
      P2 = 6 (Wheel Speed Pulse Signal Setting Mode, 0 - 6)
      P3 = 1 (Power Assist Control Mode, 0 or 1)
      P4 = 0 (Handlebar Startup Mode, 0 or 1)
      P5 = 12 (Power Monitoring Mode, 0 - 40)
      C1 = 01 (Power Assist Sensor and Parameter Select Mode, 00 - 07)
      C2 = 0 (Motor Phase Classification Coding Mode, 0 - 7, 0:sin wave)
      C3 = 8 (Power Assist Ratio Gear Initialization Mode, 0 - 8 ) (C3=6 WARNING! Bike starts running forward on it’s own at power up!)
      C4 = 0 (Handlebar Function Setting Mode, 0 - 4)
      C5 = 10 (Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Mode, 00 - 10)
      C6 = 3 (Backlight Brightness Adjustment Mode, 1 - 5)
      C7 = 1 (Cruise Function Setting Mode, 0 or 1)
      C8 = 1 (Motor Operating Temperature Display Mode, 0 or 1)
      C9 = 0 (Startup Password Setting Mode, 0 or 1)
      C10 = n (Automatically Restore Default Setting Mode, n or y)
      C11 = 0 (Attribute Selection Mode, 0 - 2)
      C12 = 4 (Controller Minimum Voltage Adjustment Mode, 0 - 7)
      C13 = 0 (Brake energy recovery - recuperation - only works with the corresponding controller, 0 - 5)
      C14 = 2 (Coordination of support levels, 1 - 3, 2 = standard)
      (description of the C parameters follows)
      Step by step / Details
      What you should now to set up your KT LCD3 display:
      General Settings:
      Under power off status, hold the „power“ button long, the meter is turned on. Within 5 seconds after boot-up, hold „up“ and „down“ simultaneously for about 2 seconds. Now you are in the settings menu.
      (between each setting parameter press „power“ to save and to get to the next parameter)
      Max. Speed: leave it
      For Europe: set it to 25 km/h to be on the legal side. Wheel Diameter:
      set it to what it is: 29 inches Metric and Imperial Units:
      your choice After finishing metric/imperial unit settings, the speed and mileage units stop flashing. Within one minute after stoppong flashing, hold „up“ and „down“ simultaneously for about 2 seconds to enter the P parameter settings environment.
      Need values for our motor are (http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/rm-g06350d.html):
      Cadence (Pulses/Cycle) 6/1 Reduction Ratio 1:5 Magnet Poles 20 P1 Motor Characteristic Parameter Setting Mode
      P1 is motor characteristic parameter setting mode. P1 = motor gear reduction ratio x number of rotor magnet pieces, just rounding if there’s any decimal.
      Sondors: Ratio 5 x 20 Magnet Poles = 100 = P1
      P2 Wheel Speed Pulse Signal Setting Mode
      P2 is wheel speed pulse signal setting mode. If wheel generated 1 pulse signal by a revolution, P2 should be set as1. If wheel generated 6 pulse signals by a revolution, P2 should be set as 6. If users didn’t configure the pulse signal system, and then P2 parameter setting can be 0. The setting range of P2 should be between 0-6.
      0 : motor hall sensor only (speed is only shown while motor is working)
      1-6: Pulses per Cycle
      Sondors: Cadence (Pulses/Cycle) 6/1 = 6 = P2
      P3 Power Assist Control Mode
      P3 is for power assist control mode, when P3 parameter setting is1, power assist control mode is gear 5 of “imitation torque control” mode, when P3 parameter setting is 0, power assist control mode is gear 5 of “speed control” mode. P3 parameter needs to be determined according to the distributed function of the controller, its setting range is 0 or 1
      Sondors: P3 = 1
      P4 Handlebar Startup Mode
      P4 is handlebar startup mode. When P4 setting is 1, indicating the handlebar is under
      “non-zero startup” mode, namely, the handlebar can be effective only after startup the
      foot power assist. When P4 setting is 0, indicating the handlebar is under “zero startup”
      mode, the motor can be startup by the handlebar directly. P4 setting range is 0 or 1
      Sondors: P4 = 0
      P5 Power Monitoring Mode
      P5 is power monitoring mode, when P5 setting is 0, the power monitoring is the “real-time voltage” mode. Namely, it is the method to determine the battery capacity based on real-time battery voltage. When P5 equals to a specified parameter, the power monitoring is the “smart power” mode (this parameter is determined by the battery characteristics, ordinary 24V lithium is generally is 4-11, 36V lithium is between 5_15). P5 setting ranges from 0-40.
      E.g.:
      9 = 24 V
      12 = 36 V
      15 = 48 V
      Sondors: 36 V -> P5 = 12
      To exit the programming mode just hold „power“ some seconds.
      After finishing P parameter settings, the P5 parameter stops flashing. Within 1 minute after stopping flashing, hold “up” and “down” for about 2 seconds to enter the C parameter setting environment.
      C1 Power Assist Sensor and Parameter Select Mode
      C1 is power assist sensor and parameter select mode.
      C1 Quantum power assist sensors or similar products
      00 5 magnet sensor
      01 8 magnet sensor
      02 10 magnet sensor
      03 12 magnet sensor
      Power assist sensors from other manufacturers
      Sondors: C1 = 02
      C2 Motor Phase Classification Coding Mode
      C2 is motor phase classification coding mode. It is served as identification parameter of different phases of the motor when using sine wave drive and the default value is 0.
      When C2 setting is 0, indicating that the used Quantum motor phase is an ordinary one.
      When the setting is a certain value, indicating a particular motor phase is used. C2 setting range is 0-7.
      Sondors: C2 = 0
      C3 Power Assist Ratio Gear Initialization Mode
      C3 is initialization mode of power assist ratio gear. The setting range is 0-8 (gear).
      When C3 setting is 0, the meter is switched on, and the power assist ratio is at gear 0. When the setting is 1, the meter is powered on and the power assist ratio is at gear 1, and so on.
      Sondors: C3 = 8
      C4 Handlebar Function Setting Mode
      C5 Controller Maximum Current Adjustment Mode
      C6 Backlight Brightness Adjustment Mode
      C7 Cruise Function Setting Mode
      Activate the Cruise Mode:  C8 Motor Operating Temperature Display Mode
      C9 Startup Password Setting Mode
      C10 Automatically Restore Default Setting Mode
      C11 Attribute Selection Mode
      C12 Controller Minimum Voltage Adjustment Mode
      C13 Brake energy recovery - recuperation - only works with the corresponding controller
      C14 Coordination of support levels
      (C Parameters are following some time)

Want a complete manual? (GENERAL Manual - not special for Sondors) Here you go: KT-LCD3 General Manual.pdf (to view/download you have to be logged in)
    • By Marty Allen
      I just got my Thin.  The assembly went well until the end - LCD cable installation.  I found what appears to be the correct cable that goes into the controller (far side, unconnected cable, with a black end cover on it).  The problem is that I cannot get the darn end cover off.  I cannot get it to separate.  In the videos it appears that it simply pulls apart. I pulled, pried, used my teeth, everything.  Eventually, I think I broke the cover away from the green connector piece.  The black cover seems to have simply separated from the green cap inside.  The two green connectors never released - (the bike still works fine in throttle mode).  But I cannot plug in my LCD cable because the two green pieces are still attached.  My next step is a pair of pliers.  Is there a trick I'm missing?  
      Thanks.

• By th3m3chanic
      Hey guys so I have a question I hope you can help me with.  I got an original fat bike last year (no LCD) and added the official Sondors LCD after.  I love the bike, especially with the LCD, but I live in a hilly area and it lacks power on climbs, especially with my 185lb butt with a full backpack on it.  I think a higher current controller might help the situation, but I understand there are some compatibility issues with the Sondors LCD and the controllers Luna cycles sells.  Does anybody know how to identify what controller/LCD combo I have so I can look for a stronger controller that will work?  Or is there a better first step for a power increase other than the controller upgrade?
      Thanks all.
    • By LosKevanos
      Commute to and from work... haul propane gas water & groceries uphill for my dry off grid cabin... Year round... In Alaska.
      Thank you Sondors... Amazing vehicle... Bravo!

• By 3D-vice
      Since the LCD user manual's chapter about the parameter copy fuctionality is a bit ambiguous, here's a step by step guide about how to set up the LCDs and the wiring.
      Disclaimer 1: In order to connect the two LCDs, you'll need to build an adapter cable by yourself! This requires some soldering skills, as well as some electronics tools for working on cable wiring.
      Disclaimer 2: I used third-party displays I had purchased from AliExpress. I DO NOT know if this works with Sondors branded LCDs or with a mixture of both, because of the various communication protocols. The user manual says that parameter copy is working with displays using the LCD3 communication protocol. As far as I know, the Sondors branded LCDs and third-party LCDs both used the LCD3 protocol.
      Step 1: Build your adapter cable

Since the LCDs have those small round black/green male-type connection plugs, it is recommended to build up your adapter cable by using the opposite female-type connection plugs. Those plugs can be found on extension cables for the LCD for example. I simply took appart two spare extension cables and soldered the open end wires together, following the above image.
      Please pay attention to the cross-wiring of the green and yellow wires! Normally, every pin is wired to it's corresponding pin on the other side. In our adapter cable, pin 4 of the source display plug is wired to pin 5 of the target display plug (green line) and pin 5 of the source display plug is wired to pin 4 of the target display plug (yellow line).
      It is also recommended to put an on-off-switch to the red and black lines connecting the power source, such as the bike battery or any other 36V power supply.
      Step 2: Set the source display to act as a data source
      It is recommended that the source display is NOT password protected and the C9 parameter is set to C9=0!
      This setup should be done while the source display is still connected to your bike. In order to set up your LCD as source dislpay, you need to enter the programming mode and go to the C-parameter settings. Have a look at this post how to do this.
      Go to the "C11 Attribute Selection Mode" and set the C11 value to 2 (C11=2). Then finish the programming procedure. This enables your display to be the data source for copying parameters. If setting the C11 value to 2 is successful, the display should show the following after finishing the programming mode:

Switch off the display and disconnect it from your bike.
      Step 3: Connect the two displays
      3.1 Detach both LCDs from their bike's controllers.
      3.2 Connect both LCDs using the adapter cable as shown in the image of Step 1.
      3.3 Connect the adapter cable to the power source.
      3.4 Switch on the power source.
      Step 4: Perform the parameter copy operation
      4.1 Switch on the source display by pushing its on-off-button.
      4.2 Switch on the target display by holding down the on-off-botton until it activates. Within 5 seconds after activation, simultaneously press the up- and down-arrows of the target display for at least 2 seconds. Then the copying process is finished.
      The actual parameter copying process as very fast and is done in an instant. If successful, the display should now show the following:

Step 5: Finishing touches
      After successful copy, switch off both displays and the power source and disconnet all components. Do not forget to revert the C11 value of the source display back to where it was (probably C11=0).
      Hint 1: If the source display was password protected (C9 parameter), keep in mind that the password has not been copied to the target display.
      Hint 2: The C11=2 source setting of the source display has also not been copied. It makes no sense to copy this parameter to the target display.
      After re-installing the target display to your bike, it should work as normal again. However, it is recommended to check the overall programming.
  • Popular Now