Theft Coverage

Can anyone recommend a company for theft coverage? A Google of "electric bicycle theft coverage" brought up several companies. Does anyone on the forum in the US have theft coverage? Granted it's not a ton of money to most people but it's a lot to me.

Kind Regards!
Rich

Your best insurance are your habits. My Electric Black Lightning is housed in my studio with an alarm system and my long driveway is protected by an alarm system named Driveway Patrol, the alarm sounds inside my house. My errand stops, have either inside parking or secure high visibility parking with my cable lock. Even if someone cuts my cable, they have no power as my batteries XT-90S connectors are apart. A thief can't even easily pedal, because I have folding pedals so there is no platform for shoes and my cable lock is woven thru my pedals. I never park my EBL out of my view for more than a minute or two. Even at WalMart I park next to the security office and under the constantly monitored security cameras. The Jupiter House, my coffee house stop, I park inside. The Grocery Store I park inside. My Drs Office I park inside. If I can't find secure parking I don't shop or stop there except, EXCEPT on the rare short stop. 

As far as insurance, your home owners may cover your bicycle....in the US eBikes of the Sondors Specifications are classified as Bicycles (probably need motorcycle coverage if you ride is modified to exceed your states' eBike laws) As an alternative, I'd call Norris Hibbler at Aircraft & Marine Assurance Company.

https://www.aircraftandmarine.com

They insure my aircraft (and most of my AYA Grumman Owners Aircraft Association members) and if he can't write you a policy, he can advise you and he's a hell of a guy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.491d20388092f3e944598021eb812da8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3914923683d5d76922daea6489026d54.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ee6db7f5520d35d5f030adc59821e3da.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.616dd8ca79fffd2e1adb604e4e48cfd1.jpeg

Edited by Tabletteer
  • Like 2

I am in the insurance business and put these guys thru their paces with a read of the policy and a long phone call with an underwriter.  I'd consider them legit.

https://velosurance.com/?utm_source=velomobile&utm_campaign=velomobile&utm_medium=link

Even modded bikes are ok so long as you don't exceed the federal 750w limit on the motor casing (they do not get into volts x amps etc for true power rating).

• Like 1

Happy Independence Day. !

Your first best defense against theft is securing your bike. The above insurance link says your bike will be covered if parked in a secure location. "THEFT COVERAGE: if your bike is stolen from your home, car, workplace or any other secure location, it’s covered"So beware, when your bike is in its most vulnerable parked location, your insurance won't cover the loss. That's why you bought insurance in the first place. 

image.jpeg.2ee7520cc6bafa3f543ced528aecd2e9.jpegI'd even suggest that if you want to further discourage thiefs, buy and cover your bike, when parked outside in a vulnerable location, with a bike cover that you can thread a secondary cable lock thru.

image.jpeg.d986350e94e13fa26ffa9eed667e2c96.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WW14T9P?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ovrl

Please get that quote and report back to us if you think insurance is your best bet to protect your investment. 

Edited by Tabletteer
  • Like 2

This is the cover I bought in XL, parked front to back, side by side, it covers two bikes but I wish I'd bought the "L"  to carry with, if there is the slightest chance of rain. 

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Oxgord-All-Weather-Indoor-Outdoor-Standard-Motorcycle-Cover-for-Sport-Bikes-Cruisers-Choppers-an/8768229/product.htm

image.thumb.jpeg.1782b9b5cd2dfa53680db837cc5950d0.jpeg

• Like 2
On 7/4/2017 at 7:54 AM, Rich said:

Thanks @MattRobertson & @Tabletteer  Great stuff.  @MattRobertson I've worked on the solvency end of the insurance business for years. I know there is no guaranty fun or association covering surplus lines. :o)

Indeed, but this is an admitted carrier/program.  Markel American Insurance Co.  Policy specimen is here.  https://velosurance.com/files/specimen_policy.pdf

Red flags for me were the advertised Stated Value basis and the usual caveats that go with that.  Regardless  of that, the contract language is ACV which does not conform to the advertising.  I questioned them closely on that (my company offers Agreed Value exclusively so I'm well aware of the pitfalls of ACV and Stated Value) and the firm impression I got was with the value of ebikes being what they are they aren't looking for a fight on valuation.   In part because its small potatoes.  A stock Original isn't even going to make their minimum value.  So long as you can point to firm costs for the bike or parts you should be good.

Noteworthy is the fact the bike must be locked to an 'immovable object' or no coverage if stolen and away from your primary garage.

Exclusion 11 was the only real eyebrow-raiser given that Sondors has come out in a blog post saying 'all mods that we didn't sell you are bad' but again, after detailed discussion they seem to have a good real-world appreciation of cycling.

If a policy is your thing I'd say give them a call and put them thru your own Q&A. 

Edited by MattRobertson
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a personal articles rider policy for my Sondors thin bike coverage rider, with a $700 policy for $66 a year which I got from Geico, as an addendum to my travelers homeowners policy, which is linked to Geico, which includes theft, collision, etc., with only a  $5 deductible. I totally agree with using common sense when locking up your bike with  a U lock or something similar and not keeping it overnight in any dangerous places, etc.

• 3 years later...
On 7/3/2017 at 10:20 PM, MattRobertson said:

I am in the insurance business and put these guys thru their paces with a read of the policy and a long phone call with an underwriter.  I'd consider them legit.

https://velosurance.com/?utm_source=velomobile&utm_campaign=velomobile&utm_medium=link

Even modded bikes are ok so long as you don't exceed the federal 750w limit on the motor casing (they do not get into volts x amps etc for true power rating).

Thanks for this info I got the insurance. Together with my 10mm chain lock and disc brake lock, I can have peace of mind.