I stayed with the original tire on the rear. (paper staple puncture) See attachments for the new tube and sealant I am trying out. The Stan's sealant is best for latex tubes, but supposedly works well with butyl tubes as well. The tech (Pier) stated that Slime was junk by comparison. The single application Stan's was $3.14.

The fellows at Bike Barn claimed that, "They don't make longer than 45mm stems." Pier was holding and measuring the original Kenda tube with the 60mm stem! A 45mm is just barely usable. You have to deflate the tire completely, press the tire behind the stem firmly, then attach the pump and inflate fully. Topping off is likely not an issue. Again, see attachments. The tube was $4.33.

Maybe just convert to Presta valve from Schrader and be done with it? 

20170404_192407.jpg

20170404_183905-01.jpeg

20170404_183758-01.jpeg

Interesting.  I thought Stan's goo was for tubeless tires.  Just my luck I finally bought my first ever bottle of Slime in decades of riding and now you show me this.  Bah!

Extended Presta valves that are more than long enough are widely available as you probably know.  And reasonably priced.  

I have a pair of these adapters for double wall rims.  In your case you might use two of them on one rim, one iside and one outside, and screw the presta collar down onto the outside one to hold it down.  Alternatively use KISS principle and just put one in on inside

https://goo.gl/1D2R98

• Like 1

Great link! Thanks for the info. The "customers also bought" shows a rubber protector and a knurld nut for the same sort of conversion. I think I'd go the metal one on the inside and the knurld nut on the outside. 

The Schroeder valve stem is a really tight fit in the Sondors Thin rim anyways. (?) 

Stan's No Tubes bottle states that it is "for tubeless and tubeless converted tires, tubulars, and tubes with removable valve cores." It also states, "stays liquid in tire for 2-7 months, depending on climate." That's a bit scary on the short end of the lifespan. And what does it mean exactly? Does it turn into a solid mass that rattles around in the tube? Ouch! I'll let you know my experience. ?

That rubber protector you mention is for single-wall rims and I used that exact bit to convert my Sondors fattie rims to Presta.  The only reason I have the double-wall version is I bought both types in case I found the rubber to be unable to live up to the job.  It worked ok.  My new double-wall rims are drilled for Presta so no adapters necessary, although if I was thinking ahead I would have used Schraeder rims and those adapters and kept the ability to use Schraeder tubes in a pinch.

That little knurled nut looks like just the same screw-down collar/nut/thingie you'd also get in the box with any Presta inner tube, with a jacked up price.  Thats what I mistook it for when I first saw the thing.  Never realized that lip on top is really the bottom and fits into the rim.  Nice.  Seems like a better option than the rubber for single-wall and a nice capper for rims like yours.

2-7 months on the Stan's is a dealbreaker for me.  Even if it goes 7... no way Jose.  Tuffy coupled to kevlar-belted tires has always done me right in the past.  I have the tuffy but winging it on the tire part.  No flats so far except for a 1/4" square 4-inch length of metal that got me on my first ride home from work.  Nothing would have stopped that.

Edited by MattRobertson
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Chad Lauterbach
      So I decided to go for a 52v upgrade on my Sondors Thin using the Luna Cycles 52V TRIANGLE PANASONIC GA 18650 14AH HIGH POWER AND LONG RANGE battery. I carefully measured and I thought I could just barely get it in to my Sondors Thin if I took out the bumpers for the stock battery and some of the cable guides. I got the battery and even after looking it I thought it would work (see attached photos). I used a Dremel to take out the bumpers that were in there and most of the cable guides in the top right. The battery looks like it was made for the box, dimensionally it fits like a glove, but (and I knew this was going to be the tough part) the hard box on the Thin just won't quite close even after my modes. I don't think I'm close enough to quite get it there either.
      I really like the look of the hard box case on the Thin, so I'm trying to figure out it:
       Is there some alternative idea to getting this thing to work in the stock box. I'd thought maybe there's some way to modify the hinges... or even cutting off the outer rubber on the battery might save a few mm. Any ideas folks? That's why I'm posting on the forum. Is there another form of hard box, maybe from the non-Thin Sondors, that might fit in it? Is there something dumb I'm just not thinking of here? I guess the final option is just remove the box and put in a soft triangle bag (such as the Luna Cycles one). Does anyone have any experience putts one of those on the Thin? And once I do that I might as well get an even bigger 52v battery, right? I've also got photos of it compared to the ElctroBikeWorld LT48.
      Appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks!
      @Reddy Kilowatt?

• By Chad Lauterbach
      After upgrading the front crankset, rear freewheel, (53/17 final gear ratio), chain,  LT48 battery, 20-amp controller and display the bike was a beast. Easily commuting to work at 26-27mph and hitting 28-29+ with a bit more effort. The issue was at those speeds in LA traffic I needed the ability to stop fast too. And re-adjusting my brakes every ~2-3 weeks was also getting annoying. The solution was new tires, hydraulic brakes, and Rotors. Here's what I got:
      --
      Rotors: Shimano Deore RT66 180mm 6-Bolt Disc Rotor
      Brakes: PASION E BIKE MTB Hydraulic Disc Cut Off Power Brake E-Bike (This is basically just a Shimano Hydraulic brake set that's been modified to have the motor cut-off. Make sure to select the right option, in my case it was the second one from the left as my controller has the 2-pin (red) motor cut-off).
      Rotor Spacer: Shimano F180P/P2 Disc brake adapter
      Hose Wire Clip Clamps: Jiyaru Bicycle Cable Guide Brake Line Holder Hose Wire Clips Clamps (To route the hydraulic hose by attaching these to the existing closed cable lines).
      Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 348 Road Bike Tire
      --
      This thing stops like a beast now and with the extra traction from these tires this is a nice safety upgrade. Should reduce the changes of flats too as these tires have built-in tire-liners essentially. So far really happy with the upgrade. :)
      I hope this helps somebody out!
      Chad

• By Fletcher Williams
      I just assembled a new single speed "Thin" with the LCD control. It seems like its geared really low, especially when you have the option of the electric motor assist. When I'm going full bore, I'm pedaling like a mad man.  What are the consequences of swapping the front sprocket for a larger one? I notice that Sondors' front sprocket has a kind of integral chain guard on either side of the chain wheel too. If I were to swap out the front sprocket and extend the chain, is there a supplier that makes a similar but larger diameter sprocket with the chain guard?
      Thanks for any suggestions!
    • By Marco Lam
      I'm putting together my seven speed condors thin and it looks different from the assembly videos in that there is no lighted up grey part on the throttle with a button.  The throttle is just a black lever.  Is this right?
      I did order the LCD screen and am installing it now.
    • By ProhibitionKilz
      I have had my Sondors Thin for about a year now & use it daily to get to work/home.  I started noticing the bike was having trouble staying at full speed when the battery was running low a few months ago, it would keep me running at 19 instead of the full 20 when the battery was at about a quarter charge left(one bar on the screens battery indicator).  Since then it has gotten progressively worse and is now down to only holding me at 16 with a low battery, when the battery is full the bike performs like it did straight out of the box but only for the first quarter of the battery or so.  I have kept the bike factory except for the tires & inner tubes, I am running tubeless on the front & the standard setup on the rear at the moment, doesn't seem relevant but was advised to list any mods.  I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this problem, I am thinking it is the controller going bad because I have taken proper care of my battery per the instructions that came with my Sondors & the fact that it performs perfectly fine when the battery is full but I would like to get some other opinions on the matter before I start replacing/upgrading anything.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.